Rash on hands and arms?

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
MommyATL

Rash on hands and arms?

Post by MommyATL »

Hi, everyone. I was diagnosed on February 28, although my new neurologist who diagnosed me believes that I started showing symptoms eight years ago.

I started Tecfidera on March 11. I had a lot of stomach issues, and I still have some, but at least I can walk without being doubled over in pain. I followed Ladymac's recommendations and they definitely helped. Today, for the very first time, my face and neck turned red as a beet. I actually had colleagues ask me if I had a sunburn. That's subsided now, but what hasn't subsided are streaklike rashes on my hands and lower arms, including my palms. This seems a bit different from the flushing. I hadn't had a problem with this until today - almost one month after starting.

Has anyone else experienced this? And what do you do? I'm using Benadryl cream on the hands and arms, and I took a Benadryl for the cooked-beet facial appearance.

Thanks!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Rash on hands and arms?

Post by NHE »

I have not taken Tecfidera, but here's a recommendation for the flushing side effect from Tecfidera's prescribing information.
Biogen wrote:The incidence of flushing may be reduced by administration of TECFIDERA with food. Alternatively, administration of non-enteric coated aspirin (up to a dose of 325 mg) 30 minutes prior to TECFIDERA dosing may reduce the incidence or severity of flushing [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3) ].
https://www.tecfidera.com/content/dam/c ... g-info.pdf
MommyATL

Re: Rash on hands and arms?

Post by MommyATL »

Thanks so much. I ended up with major swelling of my lower legs and ankles at the end of the day. My doctor has pulled me off Tecfidera. I'm going to see him in two days to get some more blood work and probably start on Aubagio.

Return to “Tecfidera (BG-12, Dimethyl fumarate)”