47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with referen

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
THX1138
Family Elder

47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with referen

Post by THX1138 »

47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with references)

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/literal ... d-science/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: 47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with ref

Post by jimmylegs »

hmm zero mention of possible issues associated with zinc supplementation. a one sided lit review does not make for the best presentation to my eye.

what about the evidence of increased prostate cancer risk associated with chronic intakes over 100mg/d?
why no mention of zinc toxicity / copper deficiency cases from overuse of simple denture adhesive?
why no serum target presented?

oh there we go, the page takes a cut on referrals to zinc testing (i've intentionally broken the link below)
https:// www. labtest analyzer .com /?utm_source=selfhacked&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sh_posts&utm_term=zinc&utm_content=end
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: 47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with referen

Post by THX1138 »

So, does the title of the article match the content of the article ?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Not really. Most of the points made have the word 'may' in the heading which means the claimed results are possible but not necessarily proven and certainly not guaranteed. The title of the article states "47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc", if the health benefits were proven, the word 'may' would not need to be used. Ultimately, the end of the article has links to where to buy a recommended Zinc product, and there may be a connection between the manufacturer of those zinc products and the author of the article!

And as JL states above, the info is quite one sided, as is often the case in these type of articles. As is the inclusion of a product link The supplement industry is for the most part unregulated and unsubstantiated claims can and are often made. And anyone can claim anything they want on the internet whether it is true or not!

Is Zinc an important nutrient? Possibly. Will it deliver all the health claims made? Perhaps. BUT no one knows for sure at this time.

The human body is complex and needs a balance of nutrients to function properly. BUT with all our modern technology and knowledge, no one really knows for sure at this time what the proper balance is. But there are many theories of course.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm Ultimately, the end of the article has links to where to buy a recommended Zinc product, and there may be a connection between the manufacturer of those zinc products and the author of the article!"
The page has a disclosure right at the top of the article, "This post contains affiliate links."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: 47 Proven Health Benefits of Supplemental Zinc (with ref

Post by jimmylegs »

specifically
jimmylegs wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:10 am...the page takes a cut on referrals to zinc testing (i've intentionally broken the link below)
https:// www. labtest analyzer .com /?utm_source=selfhacked&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sh_posts&utm_term=zinc&utm_content=end
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

It's more than that. Both of the product links at the bottom of the page contain code for Amazon's affiliate program.

www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Picolinate-Absorbable-Hypoallergenic/dp/B0017QCNUQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1543345184&sr=8-3&keywords=zinc+supplement+15mg+pure&linkCode=ll1&tag=selfhacked0e-20&linkId=8887159e2511db292b614ece0505287b&language=en_US

If you see something like that, note that the real product link is...

www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Picolinate-Absorbable-Hypoallergenic/dp/B0017QCNUQ/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i can imagine there's all kinds of stuff i didn't get to / bother with. the above was the first find from one visit 8 months ago and i'm not planning to click through to the site again. and this is the last time i will contribute to this topic being at the top of the pile.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I don't have a problem with the 'commercial' aspect of these types of articles. BUT to claim unproven benefits as 'PROVEN' is not right IMHO...
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

NHE, that is really informative about the coding.

Thanks