Second opinion

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
RightWill

Second opinion

Post by RightWill »

I had an episode six years ago where the right side of my face and right arm went numb for about 20 minutes. Went to the ER and they did a scan or MRI and the doc said it looked like MS. Then on to a neurologist and he said the leasions on my brain were probably just old age, I was 54 then.

Fast forward now. I have developed several symptoms like legs going numb for about 20 min., terrible double vision and seeing weird sparkles, spasms in arms and legs. Every now and then I get a whole body spasm like a evlectric shock. I don't empty my bladder and pee several times especially at night. Fatigue and chronic pain in my right ribcage.

My GP is setting me up to see a neurologist again.

Do you all think I should get a second opinion? I didn't have these symptoms when I was 54 except for sparkles in my eyes and chronic pain. I cheked several MS websites this week and I was surprised that I had almost every symptom listed.I'm worried......
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Second opinion

Post by jimmylegs »

hi rw, welcome to the forum :)

sounds like the doc has you in line for an updated evaluation. a second opinion, if you will. please don't try to self-diagnose based on symptoms - the differential dx list for ms, ie things to be ruled out as they whittle the possibilities down to reasonable confidence in a correct diagnosis, is a long one.

i'm curious whether anyone has, either in the past or more recently, referred you to a preventive health care professional? anything in the mix along the lines of diet and/or lifestyle assessment appropriate to an older adult?

would you describe your status quo diet and lifestyle as optimally healthy, given what you know of various messages flowing from the public health sector (as distinct from clinical care, in which test results stay reassuringly 'normal' - right up until they don't)?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Try to only see a neurologist that specializes in MS.

At this time until you get a definitive diagnosis, it might be prudent to be proactive with regards to your health.
RightWill

Post by RightWill »

Thanks family elder......

Not sure what the moderator said?
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Hi RightWill.
RightWill wrote: I cheked several MS websites this week and I was surprised that I had almost every symptom listed.I'm worried......
It is impossible to diagnose MS based on symptoms alone. There are many conditions that have similar symptoms as those seen in MS. Testing will need to be done to rule in/out all other possible causes and testing that would indicate MS as a possible cause.

Have you had a recent eye exam? If not that would be my suggestion.
I had an episode six years ago where the right side of my face and right arm went numb for about 20 minutes.
This sounds like possible migraines as does some of your current symptoms especially when they last 20 minutes. Symptoms of MS usually last longer than 20 minutes. Many things can cause brain lesions including, but not limited to, migraines/headaches and age related.