Not sure what to think

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
vortexmama79
Family Member

Re: Not sure what to think

Post by vortexmama79 »

Hopefully you got your levels up! I can tell when I slack off on taking it cause I don’t feel as good
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

The report is ready per the imaging place. No call from Neuro but I’m not waiting. I asked if I can pick up a copy and the girl on the phone was like “ I mean yeah you can it’s your medical records.” Probably reading too much into it again.
A written report will say something I don’t need images. I’m not waiting any longer, it’s torture
hopefully it's news you can use :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

Thanks. Fingers crissed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok so what's it say. now even *i'm* impatient for your results lol
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

I put a new post. Long story but couldn't stop to get them before 5pm. Luckily the report popped up on the patient portal before I left for work
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I got the MRI report off the patient portal, and I am in the medical profession but I'm not exactly sure what I am reading. Plus, "the neuro will see you on the 4th and discuss the results then." So I don't think the neuro's office is going to budge.
I know no one can give true medical advice, but for those of you that have been down this road and understand these MRI's can you decipher what some of this means for me? I don't love all the verbage. See below:

' there are a few tiny ovoid regions of hyperintensity noted within the bifrontal periventricular and juxtacortical white matter. Differential considerations for this appearance include minimal incipient chronic small vessel white matter ischemic change in the setting of a patient with hypertension or diabetes versus the sequela of migraine headaches or a remote vasculitis. Within the left caudate head, there is a 5 mm ovoid focus of signal alteration which demonstrates susceptibility artifact. This is centrally hyperintense on T1 and hyperintense on T2 and demonstrates peripheral hemosiderin deposition. There is diffuse hazy enhancement also diffusely involving the adjacent left caudate head.
Findings are likely related to a cavernoma and associated capillary telangectasia.'
google says
http://brainavm.oci.utoronto.ca/malform ... _index.htm
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/cns-ca ... iectasia-1
https://www.cavernoma.org.uk/wp-content ... ooklet.pdf
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

yeah Ive been googling too. But I can break it apart several ways. The ovoid regions of hyper intensity? White matter ischemic change? You would think I was an old lady :(
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i think for the short term it makes most sense to go with the professional's read of the situation. interesting that cavernoma has been mistaken for ms in the past, prior to mri technology.
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the Doc thinks of it all. All the waiting is exhausting
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

while you are waiting, let's revisit this d3 question
do you combine with, or separate from, the multi?
and a few follow ups - is it a multi vit or a multi vit/min? if the latter, how much magnesium in it, in mgs, and in what specific chemical form? since it's basic, i assume it's one a day, not three a day?

i ask because d3 cofactor depletion can cause poor dose response (which sounds like it might be in the mix for you) and can lead to high anxiety (i've experienced this problem and the relief once it's fixed). waiting might be less stressful, if you make sure that cofactor problems are not in the picture for you.

again, dietary sources are best. RDIs can be on the low side, on a case by case basis; aim for 7-10 mg/kg body weight per day.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

if a top up is needed, or extra to help deal with mag depleting influences like d3, you probably already know the quality of supplemental forms of mag varies widely. personally, after bad experiences with higher dose magnesium oxide and citrate, i've landed on magnesium glycinate as the one that works best for me in terms of absorption (and not mag bisglycinate, but that is another story).
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

It's a basic once a day multivitamin. Not sure how much magnesium. I think that level was just checked, but I'd have to recheck my labs
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok re the one a day - it is in your best interests to know how much mag is in there and if any, what chemical form it takes.
whether you combine a one a day with d3 or take separately, neither case is ideal.

the pharmacist that got me out of my downward spiral with d3 and mag said two things: 1. take more mag and 2. take half daily mag with d3 and half separately.
he left out item 3 about variable quality of the chemical forms. that was my own fun learning curve to explore. (it. was. not. fun.)

anyway, as you no doubt know, magnesium has several hundred other things to do in your body besides being monopolized by d3 interactions.

i look forward to seeing your serum mag result, if you do have one on file. a serum mag test most always comes back 'normal' and so it comes across as a useless test for most people. however, it's low normal you want to watch out for - and also the range the lab is using, since the settings used by some 'normalize' worse levels than others.

reference ranges often used for serum mag encompass increasing deficiency symptom rates starting around the mean and increasing as you move down through the lower half of the bell curve.

if you don't have a result on file, you can assess a few days of your typical diet and supplement regimen (plus any meds) to see how you're doing in terms of RDI or better.

it's very typical to come in low - even for health professionals. the research has been done and published; i will definitely have posted it somewhere on the forum :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

found it. the hypertension context is not really the point. personally i've always had low blood pressure, regardless of mag depletion secondary to d3 supplements.
what i took away from this study was that the serum mag quintiles were distributed in a wide range around the RDA, and roughly a third of the tracked US health professionals' intakes were below it - assuming one even takes the RDA as a good target (i'm skeptical).
Dietary Magnesium Intake and Risk of Incident Hypertension Among Middle-Aged and Older US Women in a 10-Year Follow-Up Study
"To assess the hypothesis that magnesium intake is beneficial in the primary prevention of hypertension, 28,349 female United States health professionals aged ≥45 years participating in the Women’s Health Study (WHS), who initially reported normal blood pressure (systolic blood pressure <140 mm Hg, diastolic blood pressure <90 mm Hg, no history of hypertension or antihypertensive medications), were prospectively studied. A semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire was used to estimate magnesium intake. During a median follow-up of 9.8 years, 8,544 women developed incident hypertension. After adjustment for age and randomized treatment, magnesium intake was inversely associated with the risk for developing hypertension; women in the highest quintile (median 434 mg/day) had a decreased risk for hypertension (relative risk 0.87, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.81 to 0.93, p for trend <0.0001) compared with those in the lowest quintile (median 256 mg/day).
vortexmama79
Family Member

Post by vortexmama79 »

Trying to stay busy and positive till my appointment on the 4th. But I’m having a weird pain or shock? It’s like an electric stinging pain down the back of my left arm and down the outside part of my left leg, hip to toe.
Possible MS related or maybe awful nerve damage? Just started last night
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

is it aggravated by movement? have you read about lhermitte's sign before?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445188/
can be associated with a few conditions

did you have/post spinal mri results info?

Return to “Undiagnosed”