Not enough sunlight?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
elaine747
Getting to Know You...

Not enough sunlight?

Post by elaine747 »

I guess I am having one of my bad days. Waiting on my son's MRI next week. I know he doesn't have a
diagnosis yet but I feel sure it's MS. Every now and then the thought enters my mind~did I not put him
out in the sun enough? Is this my fault. I read posts where people have never heard of this disease until they
got it. I remember hearing of it, but it never went much farther than that. I guess like most people I was
so busy just living my life and doing for my family. But it has me wondering sometimes if I could have made
a difference if I had forced him to stay outside in the sun more, taken him to the beach more. I mean we live
in sunny FL. I know I'm probably just worrying too much and browbeating myself. But I just feel so down at
times over this. Thanks for listening.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Not enough sunlight?

Post by jimmylegs »

well i fully blamed myself but the docs would have none of it. if i could go back in time and kick myself in the butt and then go further back in time and kick my parents' butts, i still would. but much of what i could share now has been learned relatively recently. all you can do is learn, and go forward better armed for the future :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
elaine747
Getting to Know You...

Post by elaine747 »

True. I guess I'm just browbeating myself. :/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

totally understandable. you're here on his behalf though, which is awesome.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Hi elaine747,

I had lots of sun when I was younger. I know someone in Texas that has MS too. Friends from The Philippines say there is lots of vitamin D deficiency there. An acquaintance from Africa says who really knows if there is no MS there as they don't have as much technology there as we do. Some people north of Canada have few if any incidents of MS and at times have only 4 hours of sunlight per day.

Do not blame yourself! No one at this point knows what causes MS.

Also, please wait for your son's results and go from there.

Take care.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There is no conclusive evidence that sunlight or lack thereof is the cause of MS, in fact there are several population groups that have zero incidence of MS and actually get extremely minimal exposure to the sun. These populations are also at extreme northern latitudes, another popular theory as to MS causes for which there is also no conclusive evidence.

The bottom line is that there is still really very little known about MS in spite of all the research.

Return to “General Discussion”