PPMS and diet

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
TonyNZ
Getting to Know You...

PPMS and diet

Post by TonyNZ »

Hi There,

I would like to ask people suffering from PPMS what diet they are following.

I am following the Swank diet at present and it seems to be OK. I have tried the Wahls and Jelinek diets in the past, neither of which suited me particularly well. The Wahls diet is too restrictive and also expensive, and the almost vegan style of the Jelinek did nothing for my health or mood.

Regards

Tony
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: PPMS and diet

Post by ElliotB »

"The Wahls diet is too restrictive and also expensive"

True, but it also seems to work, especially for those with PPMS. Perhaps you should reconsider it. I do follow the diet and am doing fantastic on it (I have RRMS).

Keep in mind as well that if you follow the Wahls protocol, you are only eating two meals a day, so the total weekly cost for food is not [much] higher than 'regular' food,
Stillhaha
Family Member

Post by Stillhaha »

I have PPMS and wasabi recently caught my attention.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/was ... s-possible

Lions Mane mushrooms supposedly help regenerate myelin so I plan on buying some in capsules soon. Most days, I make smoothies with flaxseed meal for omega 3.

Post by Nenebird54 »

I sympathsize with the difficulty issue, but I am trying to transition. Getting down 9 cups of veggie a day is close to impossible for me.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I see I responded to this thread back in 2014. As an update, I came to the unscientific conclusion a couple of years ago that the veggies were not the key to the success of diet for those with MS and other serious illnesses, and that likely a diet very, very, very high in good fats and very, very, very low in carbs is a better option and may be/likely what is really providing the overall health benefits. For numerous reasons, I eliminated vegetables totally from my diet about two years ago and have only very recently added a limited variety and amount back into my diet. But I have been on an ultra high good fat diet for about 4 1/2 years and am still doing fantastic with regard to my MS and overall health, especially my cholesterol which has always been high and surprisingly has improved over the past few years. Contrary to popular thinking, good fats do not elevate cholesterol levels but do infact contribute to good health and weight loss/balance.

Interestingly I found this following thread from 2006, about 12 years ago, on TIMS just yesterday titled:
HIGH fat, ultra low carb diet

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/gsearch.p ... 1964296j19

There has obviously been information on this concept for quite a while and there is now much more information and research available supporting this concept. Yet this option remains an unpopular choice! And unsubstantiated claims that low fat diets are the 'key' to MS success continue to thrive.