Re: Neti Pots, NeilMed and Other Sinus Rinses

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's a good reason to never use tap water in your sinus rinse.

Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... e-repeats/

Researchers said the amoebas likely got into the woman's brain through the tap water she used to fill a neti pot, rather than using saline or sterile water. The organisms entered her brain after she squirted the water up into her upper nasal cavity.

When a 69-year-old Seattle woman underwent brain surgery earlier this year at Swedish Medical Center, her doctors were stumped.

Last January, the woman was admitted to the hospital’s emergency department after suffering a seizure. Doctors took a CT scan of her brain to determine the cause, finding what they initially thought was a tumor. But an examination of tissue taken from her brain during surgery a day later showed she was up against a much deadlier attack, one that had been underway for about a year and was literally eating her alive.

“When I operated on this lady, a section of her brain about the size of a golf ball was bloody mush,” Dr. Charles Cobbs, neurosurgeon at Swedish, said in a phone interview. “There were these amoeba all over the place just eating brain cells. We didn’t have any clue what was going on, but when we got the actual tissue we could see it was the amoeba.”

The woman died a month later from the rare organisms that entered her brain after being injected into her nasal cavity by way of a neti pot, a teapot-shaped product used to rinse out the sinuses and nasal cavity, according to a case study recently published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Thanks NHE :-BD

I've been intending to get a neti pot and I thought to myself that tap water might be a good alternative to buying water to put in the Neti Pot.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

THX1138 wrote:Thanks NHE

I've been intending to get a neti pot and I thought to myself that tap water might be a good alternative to buying water to put in the Neti Pot.
Distilled water is fairly inexpensive and better to use rather than risk a brain infection. Moreover, even if you boiled the tap water and let it cool, you would still have undesirable contaminants, e.g., dissolved solids and trace chemical contamination. I've used a NeilMed sinus rinse and have found it indispensable for quickly getting over a sinus infection. I always use distilled water.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Small counter top water distillers cost under $50.

Return to “Natural Approach”