more evidence about sun exposure (and vit D therefore)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

more evidence about sun exposure (and vit D therefore)

Post by frodo »

Shedding light on the link between early life sun exposure and risk of multiple sclerosis: results from the EnvIMS Study

https://academic.oup.com/ije/advance-ar ... 69/5251901

Abstract
Background

Lower levels of sun exposure in childhood have been suggested to be associated with increased risk of multiple sclerosis (MS). In this paper we extend previous work, using two novel analytical strategies.
Methods

Data collected in the Environmental risk factors In MS (EnvIMS) study, a case-control study with MS cases and population-based controls from Canada, Italy and Norway, were used. Participants reported on sun exposure behaviours for 5-year age intervals from birth; we focused on the first three age intervals (≤15 years). We compared two life course epidemiology conceptual models, the critical period and the accumulation model. We also used latent class analysis to estimate MS risk for different latent sun exposure behaviour groups.
Results

The analyses included 2251 cases and 4028 controls. The accumulation model was found to be the best model, which demonstrated a nearly 50% increased risk of MS comparing lowest reported summer sun exposure with highest [risk ratio (RR) = 1.47 (1.24, 1.74)]. The latent sun exposure behaviour group, characterized by low sun exposure during summer and winter and high sun protection use, had the highest risk of MS; a 76% increased risk as compared with the group with high sun exposure and low sun protection use [RR = 1.76 (1.27, 2.46)].
Conclusions

Our analyses provide novel insights into the link between sun exposure and MS. We demonstrate that more time indoors during childhood and early adolescence is linked with MS risk, and that sun protection behaviours in those who spend most time indoors may play a key role in increasing risk.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: more evidence about sun exposure (and vit D therefore)

Post by ElliotB »

Like all studies on sun exposure, they also (conveniently) decided to exclude the simple fact that several population groups that get virtually no sun exposure and have ZERO incidence of MS in their study.
Last edited by ElliotB on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
markablee

Post by markablee »

ElliotB wrote:Like all studies on sun expose, they also (conveniently) decided to exclude the simple fact that several population groups that get virtually no sun exposure and have ZERO incidence of MS in their study.
Can you please give reference for that research?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This fact that several population groups having zero incidence of MS is not a secret and has been known for quite a while. But for the most part it is ignored. Here are some links to interesting articles on the topic:

https://www.sharecare.com/health/multip ... ect-people

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/What- ... ho-Gets-MS

https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarch ... 2p44.shtml

http://www.multiplesclerosis.co.za/inde ... causes-ms/

You have to 'dig' a bit to find articles like these but they are out there.

This article discusses their high fat diet:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 153712.htm

And of course, not all agree:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/apr/eskimos.htm
markablee

Post by markablee »

Thanks for links.

I have strange experience with vit D. It looks it wakes up MS,lowers my immunity and activates viruses. It also cools me down,push me into parasymphatetic mode and obviously influence autonomic nervous system,not the way I like it.
Btw,I was taking between 1000-4000IU.

Does anybody have strange autonomic reaction to vit D?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi, sorry to answer a question with a question but what has been the rest of the regimen besides the vit d3? i have overdosed d3 in relation to cofactors at no more than 4000 iu per day and the xp was not at all pleasant.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

markablee, have you had blood work to determine your Vitamin D level?

What is most important is your level and not how much you take. There are many natural ways to increase your body's vitamin D level without taking a pill that you can do if your D level is low and you want to increase it, such as increased sun exposure, consuming foods high in vitamin D such as fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, sardines and salmon, beef liver, cheese and egg yolks to name a few.

Also keep in mind that Vitamin D supplements can come from different sources both naturally and synthetically, and comes in different forms (such as liquid and powder). If you need/want vitamin D supplementation beyond that provided in food consumption, you may need to try several different types to try and find one that agrees with you better.
markablee

Post by markablee »

Hi,
I was taking magnesium chloride transdermal and it only worsen situation - more drowsiness and coldness. It is really hard for me to hack exact dosage of most supplements,I suppose I'm too sensitive. So I avoid most of them,except B12 and occasionally vit D. I eat a lot and try to absorb things by stimulating digestion with bitter herbs. Plants only and my zinc is good :)
markablee

Post by markablee »

ElliotB wrote:markablee, have you had blood work to determine your Vitamin D level?

What is most important is your level and not how much you take. There are many natural ways to increase your body's vitamin D level without taking a pill that you can do if your D level is low and you want to increase it, such as increased sun exposure, consuming foods high in vitamin D such as fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, sardines and salmon, beef liver, cheese and egg yolks to name a few.

Also keep in mind that Vitamin D supplements can come from different sources both naturally and synthetically, and comes in different forms (such as liquid and powder). If you need/want vitamin D supplementation beyond that provided in food consumption, you may need to try several different types to try and find one that agrees with you better.
Few months ago it was 63.4nmol/L.
It's liquid form,pure cholecalciferol.
Thanks for advices,I'll try different form,maybe it'll make a difference.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I keep mine in a similar range.

Keep in mind that the supplement industry is for the most part unregulated so you never know for sure what you are getting. It is important to try different types/brands of supplements if you find the one(s) you are taking ineffective or not getting the desired results. Not all vitamins sharing the same name and potency are created equal. Fortunately the results are somewhat easy to monitor through blood work. And you may not even be getting the potency listed on the label.

Apparently when it comes to Vitamin D, lanolin is often considered the best source. I just discovered that Lanolin is a wax secreted by glands of wool-bearing animals like sheep. But vitamin D can also be sourced from fish oil.

Most vitamins (not just D) can have different source material(s) in their production and different manufacturing processes can be used to produce them, some natural, some synthetic. Quality and potency can vary from company to company. And companies are not necessarily required to and typically don't reveal the source. Vitamin D, E , Omega 3 fish oils and resveratrol offer good examples. Many vitamin E products sold are synthetic (and not nearly as effective and 'real' vitamin E) and the product labels usually don't easily reflect the type of supplement source. Another example, omega 3 fish oils typically come from fatty fish like Salmon (probably the most common source), but also comes from krill and calamari (squid) and the levels of DHA and EPA and ratios of DHA to EPA vary depending on the source and manufacturing process. Resveratrol is typically derived from grapes but can also be sourced from Polygonum cuspidatum, commonly known as Asian knotweed or Japanese knotweed.

Is this product a better vitamin D? The manufacturer assures that it is! (not a surprise!)

https://www.ora.organic/products/vegan- ... 7985330195

According to them:

"Many vitamin D3 supplements are made from the grease secreted from sheep's wool and then processed to produce vitamin D3. In contrast, Our Vitamin D3 is made sustainably from lichen (yay!). Lichens are small unique plant species consisting of a natural symbiosis between fungi and algae. No greasiness"

But the supplement does have several fillers (I try to avoid fillers whenever possible).
Last edited by ElliotB on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

do you have details of regimen for b12, and serum levels for b12, magnesium and zinc? other more mainstream ones like serum ferritin?
here's hoping you can double that serum d3 level - but not at the expense of other essentials.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:But vitamin D can also be sourced from fish oil.
That's true for cod liver fish oil. However, regular omega-3 fish oil with EPA and DHA contain negligible amounts of D3 if any at all.