Why the Paleo-Macrobiotic Diet Works

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

First let’s think about all the reasons you might not want to be bothered by Diet. With a major health problem life is difficult enough without depriving yourself of the pleasure of eating. Food resonates with family, security, comfort, friendship, sharing. If you can’t eat how other’s eat, this becomes another factor of exclusion. Often people offer a treat as an act of generosity in order to give pleasure, how can you refuse that without offending? Children affirm their character by choosing what they want to eat, food becomes a central facet of one’s identity.

Now look at the map of MS incidence. Northern (Protestant?) Europe and North America are particularly afflicted. But the diets in these areas emphasize the“suspect” Neolithic diet of Wheat, Meat and Dairy. Southern Europe is less affected with it’s olive oil, vegetable, fish based diets. But it is especially Japan which gives the good example because their diet is founded on rice, fish, vegetables, and seaweed. Though they have a hard working, “Success Stress” culture, their diet protects them.

So I am going to propose what I'll call the "Paleo-Macrobiotic" Diet which contains the essentials of a program I followed with great success in the 1980's.

Give yourself a deadline. Keep a journal. Note carefully any changes, progress as well as set backs.

When I healed the first time beginning February 1984 it took me a year to recover lost function. I began to experience the pins and needles, numbness and pain of the early onset, but at the same time everything began to work again. This confirms a central observation in natural healing, one passes through the same symptoms in reverse of the original illness. But it took a good year for real results. So this time (January 2012) I decided to give myself a year. Then I thought I would make it 18 months, that is to say only one summer and the other months spring, fall and winter. So I’ll go at least as far as June 2013.

Now, depending on the results, I may well continue. But by giving yourself a time frame, it doesn’t feel like such an ordeal. It’s like being confined for a period of time, then afterwards you’ll be free. This past January I didn’t expect any “results” for at least a year, but after 2 months the muscles on the outside of my right leg began to cramp which meant that the nerves were working again. I can bend my knee while on my back by working the side of the thigh. Will there be any more improvement? I don’t know. My dream is that I retrieve more function in my right hand which will allow me to work the arm.

I had been constipated since birth and know this is a trait inherited from my mother’s father (see Chapter One on Pages) In 1984 before I de-toxed I had the most repulsive smelly flatulence imaginable. My gut must have been really rotten. By September 1984 after 6 months on the diet I developed diahrrea. My Kinesiologist was delighted, saying this was a sign of detoxification. And then (with the help of my Chinese acupuncturist-herbalist) my intestines began to function normally for the first time in my life. About 5 months later my nervous system regained lost function. Question? Does MS cause the Constipation problem or does the C problem cause MS?

Expect to go through detoxification akin to withdrawal from a drug. It seems so unfair. There are those who are addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine, heroin and I’m addicted to WHEAT and COFFEE. The first time I withdrew from these very ordinary substances, I went through a bit of hell the first 2 or 3 days. Apparently it takes at least 5 days to free yourself from food intolerances. (These aren’t the same as blood tested “allergies.”) I can’t imagine going through a real drug withdrawal.

Those whose MS onset is fairly recent, who are young, can expect real recovery UNLESS they have a serious structural stenosis. (Even so whatever the situation, it’s worth a try.)

Make it easy. (In the late 1960’s I tried a Macrobiotic diet, but the recipes in the book I was using were unnecessarily complicated so I stopped.) When dieting butter looked like a repulsive yellow greasy blob.

So here is a basic diet. Some may have individual intolerances or allergies I can’t account for in a general diet. Consulting a Kinesiologist Naturopath might be a good idea.

Combine the essentials of Dr. Wahls’ diet found on You Tube at TEDxIowa City- Minding your Mitochondria, (now apparently called the PALEO DIET) and the Japanese Macrobiotic diet found on Wikipedia . (Copy below).

Varied Vegetables, some raw, some cooked. (Those with weak stomachs may need to lightly steam the vegetables.)

Supplement the vegetables with raw freshly extracted vegetable juice using greens as well as “colours” like carrots or beets. Try variety. I drink 1 to 2 cups a day (‘up to 12 cups a week.) Buy a powerful juicer, the more powerful it is the easier the extraction. (I’m using a Phillips purchased in France). One caution. Those subject to diarrhea may not be able to tolerate 2 cups a day. Adjust as needed.

Grains without Glutens: Rice: Buckwheat: Millet: Corn are OK for me. (When I healed in the 80’s there were no genetically modified crops. I don’t know if they would make a difference now.)

Buy Gluten free bread. Rice or Corn cakes: Japanese rice Mochi cakes are excellent, pop in the oven they puff up to become hot and chewy,delicious. Try with almond butter.

For protein emphasize wild Fish: Raw fish in Sushi is excellent (avoid raw Salmon) but cooked fish is better than meat because the latter has saturated fat. One animal protein a day. I know the vegans won’t like this, but I can’t survive without one serving a day and I have an intolerance for soybeans.

Farm raised poultry and eggs. If you eat red meat always eat a raw vegetable with it.

Avoid or greatly limit saturated Fat (found in red meats, butter etc.) No Pork , too fat. Also avoid nitrites in treated meats such as sausages, bacon. Avoid chemical food additives and processed food in general. No aspartame.

Organ meat once a week.

Seeds and Nuts. Walnuts are an outstanding source of Omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids. Almond nut butter, nut butters in general. (I am forbidden peanut butter)

Some fruit, but not too much. Papaya once a week is excellent for digestion. I was told to avoid Avocados. I Don’t know why.

Seaweed.

Cook with Olive Oil (not butter). (Avoid Safflower Oil) Sunflower Oil is OK..

No Lactose. Yoghourt is OK, because it is without lactose. From an intolerance point of view I am allowed Brie cheese and Camembert, but not too much because of the fat. Some nutritionists forbid dairy altogether, but I think some yoghourt and non lactose milk for tea is fine.

I was supposed to eat 12 meals a day in one cup increments. I admit I don’t do that now. There
is probably a good reason to be nourished regularly all day long.

Lots of fresh water.

And of course no coffee, no alcohol (My brain must lack the myelin insulation because wine penetrates directly into the nervous system from the blood. On the other hand so does the veggie juice – for the better.) I do drink tea.

For sweets try dried fruit, or fruit in general, bananas.

To correct Dr. Wahls' PALEO DIET I would reduce the red meat intake to no more than once a week and once a week organ food. Always eat a raw vegetable when you eat the meat. Fish is the best protein, and barnyard raised chicken. I would add non gluten grains, nuts and seeds, beans and the veggie juice to her suggested diet.

Now we get to the tricky part.
I just watched (July 12, 2012) a January 27, 2011 interview Dr. Wahls gave to Katie Roche. She states she stopped taking the MS medication in order to heal, but gives no advice on how she got off of it, what effects the withdrawal had. She gives no advice or warning. She recommends using a device for neuro-muscular electrical stimulation in order to develop atrophied muscles on her back (which is the Bladder meridian Chinese medecine) but most importantly this must stimulate the blood circulation. She apparently is unaware that by stimulating the Bladder meridian on her back she was in fact treating CCSVI blood circulation. She recovered by 1) de-toxifying from the MS medication which was poisoning her as well as food toxins 2) nourishing herself optimally with paleo diet food and nutritional supplements 3) progressive exercise and 4) neuro-muscular electrical stimulation which enhances blood circulation. She, like about 2/3 MS patients, probably does not have a CCSVI structural vein stenosis and cannot benefit from angioplasty. Her blood reflux, or poor blood/brain circulation, must have been due to stress compressed veins which were relaxed by the non toxic
diet as well as the electrical stimulation and then her brain healed thanks to the nourishment of this diet.

Here I need to explain the basic principles of Muscle Testing which were derived from Chinese Medicine theory and practice. I received a diploma as an Acupressure Massage Therapist in 1987 from the Berkeley Acupressure Institute, and though I only practiced on myself, family and friends. I know what I’m writing about. (I also took several workshops from Dr. Jimmy Scott on his “Health Kinesiology” therapy.)

The foundation course is based on Chiropractor John F. Thie’s book Touch For Health, (Copyright 1973) a course anyone can take. It is founded on the American do-it-yourself principle and intended to train people to help themselves and their loved ones.

There are 12 Organ Meridians and 2 supplementary meridians (Central and Governing.) Each Meridian corresponds to one or several muscles. For instance, the main thigh Quadriceps muscle corresponds to the Small Intestines Meridian. When the Meridian is “balanced”, the muscle is strong. When the Meridian is “blocked or unbalanced”, the muscle is weak. This can be demonstrated, you can learn to do it yourself. One can strengthen the Meridian by deep massage of Neurolymphatic points, or by holding specific acupuncture points, all shown in the book. (One can also brush the meridian from it’s source point to its ending point.) In the course, to teach muscle testing, a meridan is chosen and strengthened and then a corresponding muscle is tested for strength. Then the Meridan is weakened and one tests the corresponding muscle which indeed loses strength. (The only meridian which should never be weakened is the heart meridian.) At first you are taught to strengthen all the meridians, testing corresponding muscles to confirm they are “balanced”,and only after all the meridians have been strengthened can it be said that the person has been “balanced”.

A Kinesiologist shortens the process of meridian balancing by working on points around the navel to test how all the meridians are functioning and then “balances” only those in need of it. Then begins a process of ”ask the body” what issue needs to be addressed using the arm alone for muscle testing. If the answer is yes, the arm muscle is strong, if no, the muscle is weak.
That is how food intolerances are determined as well as the individualized diet.

Stress of any kind can throw a meridian out of balance, which explains why stress can actually weaken the muscles and the body in general. Therefore consider that in MS loss of muscle strength can occur for 2 major reasons. 1) damage to the nervous system and 2) “unbalanced”acupuncture meridians. Diet that “balances”the meridians can go a long way to strengthen the muscular system which can well precede healing in the nervous system.

I resumed the “paleo-macrobiotic”, veggie juice, gluten free diet around January 17, 2012. Mid March the muscles on the outside of my right leg began to cramp up and “work”. I could pull the leg up in physical therapy without simply using the Quadricep thigh muscle. I was surprised that after only 2 months of detox diet part of the dormant nervous system began to work. (The first time around in 1984-85 it took a year for “dead” nerves to work.)

It doesn’t really make sense that the myelin sheath would heal in such a short time. Then late March I developed a bladder infection which weakened me and eventually I took antibiotics to treat it. As usual this threw my Acupuncture meridians out of balance, my bladder didn’t empty well, my legs were clumsy. Were the nerves affected, or simply the meridians which control the muscles? Also the recent improvement in the leg disappeared. Once off the antibiotics, my legs and balance strengthened and 2 days later the muscles outside the leg reaching into the buttocks began cramping again and appeared to be working. Are these the nerves? My own impression is that the“blocked” blood flow has resumed to nourish the brain. Maybe the problem isn’t simply a question of periodic blood refluxes but insufficient blood flow into the brain (of course this corresponds to my theory that the circulatory system is “stunted” or insufficient in MS). According to Kinesiology, when the body’s energy circulation is “unbalanced”, blockages can occur everywhere, not just the muscles. Perhaps by removing substances my body cannot tolerate,the energy system re-establishes itself, and the blood can nourish the brain correctly. We shall see. I am surprised at such a rapid response to diet change. I wonder how far it will take me?

So now we return to the problem of medication. I spoke with one MS patient who said the only thing that stopped raging MS attacks for her was Copaxone. So how can she risk going off of it without some back-up help. Each "attack" means brain damage. And who will help her? MS patients are up against the “Semmelweis Reflex”. The Neurologists (not to mention the drug companies) prescribing these medications aren’t likely to admit they are poisoning their patients and those who think so don’t have the authority to do anything about it. On the other hand, if one has a blocked vein, until it can be opened one will need medication to treat the tissue injured by the blood reflux.

I believe that some day there should be MS drug de-tox centers like there are today for alcohol and drug addictions. I believe the first healing step for MS patients is to de-toxify. And then to nourish the body and brain correctly. A “balanced” meridian system will strengthen the muscles, proper blood flow to the brain will nourish the nervous system. And if there are real structural problems, angiologues can correct them. But we aren’t there yet.

The following Japanese macrobiotic diet was copied from Wikipedia. (As you can see I eat more animal protein than is suggested.)

"Well chewed whole cereal grains, especially brown rice: 40-60%
Vegetables: 20-30%
Beans and legumes: 5-10%
Miso soup: 5%
Sea vegetables: 5%
Traditionally or naturally processed foods: 5-10%
Fish and seafood, seeds and nuts, seed and nut butters, seasonings, sweeteners, fruits and beverages may be enjoyed occasionally, 2-3 times per week. Other naturally raised animal products may be included if needed during dietary transition or according to individual needs."
This has been taken from MS Cure Enigmas.net https://www.mscureenigmas.net/
Last edited by vesta on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Why the Paleo-Macrobiotic Diet Works

Post by ElliotB »

Vesta, can you update us on this approach whether you continue to follow it and how you have changed your diet over the last few years? Do you think this diet approach has had a major impact on your health? Or have the other things you do for yourself as described in your website had more of an influence? Or is it a combination? Why did you change from the diet you started in 1984? You seemed to be having good success with it at the time.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

ElliotB wrote:Vesta, can you update us on this approach whether you continue to follow it and how you have changed your diet over the last few years? Do you think this diet approach has had a major impact on your health? Or have the other things you do for yourself as described in your website had more of an influence? Or is it a combination? Why did you change from the diet you started in 1984? You seemed to be having good success with it at the time.
Hello ElliotB :

Thank you for your interest. Reading my post I see I have some revisions to make in keeping with the evolution of our knowledge. For one thing, I note that Dr Wahl is stimulating blood flow with the electrical stimulation of her back muscles. Now I would add cerebro-spinal fluid as well.

It took me a year of detoxification, supplements, nutritional therapy under the care of a kinesiologist to recover all nerve function from 1984-85. The one, major thing that wasn’t understood in healing MS at the time was the CNS fluid flow issue. The Kinesiology muscle testing/balancing probably kept stress under control. Also, food intolerances to glutens, for example, probably cause stress, their elimination not only eliminates the stress it allows real nourishment.

However, March 1987 when I decided to leave my husband, clearly the stress was so great that I had an attack regardless of diet etc. When I did finally leave Aug 1988, even though I more or less maintained my diet, divorce is stressful so I probably lost some ground even though I looked fine, no apparent deficits (also I kept up acupuncture, kinesiology treatments.)

The beginning of my big downfall came with my move to France April 1992. It took a year of eating glutens (French bread), drinking wine and being under attack from a gaggle of jealous females for me to experience a serious MS attack which handicapped my right leg and from that I was surprised to not recover as I always had before from RRMS. (Why did I change my diet? I guess I believed that since I had changed countries I had changed my body as well. A big mistake, I should have kept up the diet, which I'm doing more or less now, though I cheat a bit sometimes.)

IF I had known about the CNS fluid circulation issue I believe I could have prevented this slow developing disaster. Yes, I needed to spruce up my diet (in the early 90’s finding non gluten bread in Paris was well nigh impossible. Things are much improved now.) But I could have limited the blood refluxes, even a slight back massage helps or a simple TENS treatment. Beginning July 2010 when I read about Prof Zamboni’s work and began the brief massage therapy and TENS, my decline has basically stopped, or at least is much attenuated.

Let’s keep in mind that Feb 1984 I was 35 years old, today I am 70. So the younger one is, the greater the possibility of healing. Now I just hope to slow the decline not expecting to recover the lost function in the right leg. I try to follow the correct diet.

So overall, diet/nutrition matters, but a severe stress atack can over ride it. Dr Owiesy’s theory about the smooth muscle layer of the vein going into spasm to cut off blood flow makes enormous sense to me. That is probably what happened with the stress attack March 1987. The CNS fluid flow issue was the missing factor all these years, and I really believe had I known about that factor I wouldn’t have « lost » the right leg.

I hope your eyesight is continuing to improve with the magnetic treatment. Keep us all posted and thanks for the video.

Best regards, Vesta
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks for your reply and clarification. You mention "Stress" numerous times. Stress affects the body in so many ways, so many negative ways. MY brother also has MS and his first bit of advise to me was to eliminate stress. I have fortunately been able to do so and always strive to live stress free. At this point, I firmly believe that the elimination of all stresses is one of the most important things in disease prevention and 'cure'. Although I am just a little bit younger than you and have not 'officially' had MS as long as you, our stories, philosophies and treatments are surprisingly similar. Thankfully it appears both of us are doing reasonably well. And hopefully this state will persist!
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

ElliotB wrote:Thanks for your reply and clarification. You mention "Stress" numerous times. Stress affects the body in so many ways, so many negative ways. MY brother also has MS and his first bit of advise to me was to eliminate stress. I have fortunately been able to do so and always strive to live stress free. At this point, I firmly believe that the elimination of all stresses is one of the most important things in disease prevention and 'cure'. Although I am just a little bit younger than you and have not 'officially' had MS as long as you, our stories, philosophies and treatments are surprisingly similar. Thankfully it appears both of us are doing reasonably well. And hopefully this state will persist!
Hello ElliotB:

The point I was making is that in my opinion MS STRESS impacts the vascular/CSF system which in turn impacts the CNS. Everyone has a weak point which falters under stress, but the weakness is as varied as the people affected. For my husband, it's his stomach. If I had known about the blood/CSF flow issue, I could have avoided damage to my nervous system. Joan Beal has stopped writing in her blog doubtless because she is fed up with the stubborn refusal to recognize the vascular connection to MS (known for at least 150 years.)

MS people can avoid the loss of function if they act on that idea, precisely because one can't always avoid stress. At least one can minimize the consequences with that wee bit of knowledge.

Best regards, Vesta
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hi Vesta

Just came across this thread and must applaud you for your success in keeping MS at bay, mostly. This is pretty impressive.

Can I ask what you mean when you refer to the CSF/bloodflow/vascular issues? How could you have prevented it? I may be being dumb here so please accept my apologies!

Thanks

J x
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Hello Jaded:

Your question is not dumb at all. I write my site noted below precisely because the CSF/blood flow/vascular issue has been supposedly "discredited" with CCSVI when in fact understanding its importance can change one's life for the better - and also one may not need or want angioplasty or any complicated intervention. I'll re-post here my Steps to MS health and if you want more info consult MS Cure Enigmas.

"MY SEVEN STEPS TO MS HEALTH

1. ENHANCE BLOOD/CEREBRO-SPINAL FLUID CIRCULATION

My analyses and emphasis on the fluid circulation issue set me apart from other alternative healing sites. I insist it is of vital importance.

If had known that my MS is essentially a pathology characterised by obstructed central nervous system fluid flows – blood and cerebrospinal fluid – I wouldn’t need a cane to walk today. That one simple concept changed my life forever, but it came too late to save me from handicap. It came in time to slow progression.

My research has concluded there exist three fundamental fluid obstructions. 1) skeletal obstructions of fluid flows – bones, ligaments, muscles, arteries. 2) spasms in the veins’ middle smooth muscle layer which obstruct blood flow and 3) stenosed veins in need of being ballooned open to overcome interior obstructions, the CCSVI issue.

Before undergoing venoplasty for CCSVI by an Interventional Radiologist (issue 3), I think one should verify that there is no skeletal obstruction (issue 1). The best diagnostic tool for that is a cinematic upright FONAR MRI. Chiropractors are probably the best therapists to determine and treat skeletal obstructions and may be able to suggest tools less expensive than the FONAR MRI. Issue number 2 may be the easiest to treat through relaxation techniques (yoga) or simple blood/cerebrospinal fluid circulation therapies such as massage, acupuncture, neuro-muscular electrical stimulation, osteopathy, or swimming. The injection by an MD of a mixture of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine used to treat trigeminal neuralgia may be considered.

2. DE-TOXIFY

After a lifetime of eating badly, ingesting antibiotics and other toxic chemicals, exposure to heavy metals and nuclear fallout, toxins build up in the body and need to be flushed out in order to maximize the benefit of ideal, personalized foods and supplements. Check out DETOXIFY on the Internet to find your preferred protocol. One example:
want2bike (From Thisisms.com)suggested
“Dr. Hyman explains his 10 day detox diet.

I had the advice/assistance of a kinesiologist/nutritionist and won’t myself suggest a detox protocol. Dr. Hyman maintains that a simple diet change over 10 days will do the trick (or at least be a beginning) which is something anyone can try. So why not? (It takes 5 days to withdraw from a food allergy).

See also my Detoxification and Supplements post.

3. OPTIMAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY NUTRITION.

See C-Reactive Protein – Key to MS Diet

Diet is critical to many diseases, particularly « auto-immune ». However, areas of vulnerability differ. For MSers it’s the vascular system linked to the central nervous system that matters. Diet impacts production of C-Reactive Protein (CRP) – which in turn impacts the endothelium of the vascular system. Secondly, proper diet acts to reduce cellular inflammation thereby preventing spasms in the veins’ smooth muscle layer. It follows that for MSers proper diet facilitates blood/cerebrospinal fluid circulation. For those without a serious veinous obstruction, diet/supplements alone may suffice to heal

4. SUPPLEMENTS

I have been taking a customized Standard Process Supplement Protocol (with additions) recommended by my Kinesiologist/Nutritionist since 1984 so I won’t suggest a general plan.
As to Diet, consider my post Paleo-Macro-biotic diet.

As a general protocol consult Matt Embry’s excellent
http://www.mshope.com. (food, supplements, exercise, CCSVI).

5. SUNLIGHT OR UV RAYS on the skin at least 15 minutes daily to release Nitric Oxide essential to vascular health and blood circulation.

6. Homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum by Boiron to head off a virus. IT WORKS (unless perhaps one is taking a toxic drug. Anti-biotics annul it for me.) Cost – 1 euro the dose, 1 or 2 doses will stop a sore throat, 6 doses maximum treatment over 3 days ($8).

7. EXERCISE BUILD UP PROGRESSIVELY (Consulting a Physical Therapist may help.)
Be moderate in terms of your current condition. Don’t do so much that you throw yourself into an « attack ». (Early on I stressed myself with a « performance » mentality.) Now I walk a minimum number of steps per day and swim when I can.

Be creative. Tif of ThisisMS.com has recovered function with Neuromuscular electrical nerve stimulation in the Onyx Body S haping and Slim Spa which uses “Madame and Monsieur Electro-Slim Technology”. Hugo Macia (www.secretosdelaesclerosismultiple.blogspot.com.es.) is testing on himself a German made Neuromuscular “jacket” to regain function. See https://www.miha-bodytec.com/en/product/"

Previously posted on my site MSCure Enigmas.net https://www.mscureenigmas.net/

Best regards, Vesta
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks Vesta

This is all very interesting. Thank you. I have not heard of the homeopathic remedy you mention. I shall give this a try. Also I need to do something radical about my diet I think. I don't eat dairy or red meat but I need to stop this deterioration so it may be time to be more strict and cut out gluten.

I cannot do the sunshine as I have previous melanoma but I hope Vitamin D supplements will help!

Would a TENS machine work for nerve stimulation?

I expect vascular issues could be genetic as my sibling also has MS, our father had heart disease so this may explain a lot.

Many thanks
J x
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Jaded wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm Thanks Vesta

This is all very interesting. Thank you. I have not heard of the homeopathic remedy you mention. I shall give this a try. Also I need to do something radical about my diet I think. I don't eat dairy or red meat but I need to stop this deterioration so it may be time to be more strict and cut out gluten.

I cannot do the sunshine as I have previous melanoma but I hope Vitamin D supplements will help!

Would a TENS machine work for nerve stimulation?

I expect vascular issues could be genetic as my sibling also has MS, our father had heart disease so this may explain a lot.

Many thanks
J x
Hello Jaded.

Below I am reposting a blog I published on my site Sept 30, 2013 titled TENS Acupressure Self Help. I've highlighted my own self treatment in bold. I don't know if it will stimulate the nerves, but it does stimulate Meridien and fluid circulation. When I ingest something "toxic" (for me), the gall bladder meridien which runs down the outside of me "good" leg is painful. (This is the de-tox meriden). I don't know how that relates to the nerves (and I feel nothing on my damaged right leg). Sorry if this post seems too long.

" TENS ACUPRESSURE SELF HELP
9/30/2013

TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator
which is sold to deliver small electrical impulses via electrode pads placed on the skin to ease pain. However, I
use it to stimulate acupuncture points (Acupressure) to open blood and
cerebrospinal fluid flow through the Central Nervous System. I use a
small 9 volt battery powered apparatus (3.5¨ x 2.5¨or 9 cm x 6.5 cm).
It has 2 controls linked to 2 leads which branch into 2 pads each, thereby
giving the possibility of stimulating a total of 4 acupuncture points at a
time. It can be purchased on the Internet in the US for about $50. I
ordered one from England summer 2010 which was a bit more expensive. (You have
to buy a supply of pads as well which come in packages of 4. The
pads are adhesive. Eventually they stop adhering so I use tape for a while
to extend their use longer.)

I was certified as an Acupressure Massage Therapist by the Berkeley Acupressure Institute in 1987. I
began receiving Acupuncture treatments by a Chinese trained Doctor in San
Francisco in January 1981. I’ve continued getting Acupuncture treatments ever
since, now about once a month. After I began to learn the Acupuncture meridians
and points, I could identify them when the Acupuncturist was applying the
needles. I therefore have nearly 32 years experience as an Acupuncture patient,
and 26 years as a therapist (for family and friends), which is to say I have a good idea of what works
for an MS patient (in this case me).

In the late 1980’s my San Francisco Chiropractor, aware of my knowledge of acupuncture points, recommended
I treat myself with a TENS and ordered it for me since at the time it was
considered a medical device unavailable to the general public. Subsequently
I ordered new pads from her as the old ones wore out as well as extra wire
leads. After moving to France spring 1992, I renewed my stock when visiting the Bay Area. Unfortunately May
1993 I listened to a Parisian Acupuncture Doctor who discouraged me by saying
the Tens wasn’t effective. Why did I listen to that jerk, he wasn’t even a
good Acupuncturist? I was using the TENS mostly to treat urinary tract
infections and was frustrated I could use only 4 pads at a time since I was
attempting a more complicated Acupressure treatment than was necessary. After
1997 I couldn’t renew my stock of pads and basically stopped all treatments. How
I regret having done so.

When in August 2010 I read on Daily Kos about CCSVI Liberation Therapy, I immediately ordered a TENS
machine with a supply of pads from England. I had learned that a neck/back
massage moving the blood towards the heart could stop an MS attack. Then
one evening while alone I could feel all the warning signs of an MS
attack. I performed a TENS self acupressure treatment which relaxed me
slightly but I was still worried about what the next day would bring. Well, the
next day, the “attack” was gone. Just stopped in its tracks. That never
happens without treatment. In fact once the MS process begins the stress feeds
on itself, stress triggers it off and then the anxiety exacerbates it. In
the past I could stop an MS relapse by getting an acupuncture treatment, but
getting to the Doctor can be complicated, take time, and the delay means some
nerve damage. I had no idea I myself could stop the attack before it takes hold
and does damage.

Recently the TENS again proved its usefulness. For years I’ve been awakened about 3 a.m. with a pain
running down the outside of my “good” left leg. I know this to be the gall
bladder meridian that must be “blocked”, hence the pain. One night I was
overwrought, could feel my legs freeze up, knew that the blood must be surging
back into the CNS, couldn’t sleep. So I got up and did the TENS treatment I’ll
now describe. The pain in my leg gradually subsided, I relaxed and could finally
go to sleep. (I have no idea how this corresponds to the nervous system. I know
what the pain means in terms of Chinese medicine and how to treat it, so I’ll
just be satisfied with that.)

The basic principle is to balance 2 Yin points with 2 Yang points. The Yin Organs "nourish", the Yang
"protect". One can consult the Acupuncture meridians/points on the internet at YinYangHouse.com. I now use two Yin/Yang pairs -Sp 10/GB21 and Sp6/GB34 although one pair per treatment will suffice. (Sp = Spleen and GB = Gall Bladder).

My original self treatment should be of use to every MS patient. I start with Spleen 6 which is a powerful Yin point. Called the 3 Yin it is the intersection of 3 Yin meridians - the Liver, Spleen and Kidney/Adrenals.
(Warning – Don’t use needles or “moxa” on a pregnant woman. It’s
good when giving birth.) The Spleen meridian runs up the INSIDE of the leg.
I place 4 fingers at the top of the ankle bone along the leg bone, at the last
finger I press into the leg to find a sensitive point, that's it. I
place a pad over this point. Then I find the Yang Gall Bladder 34. I find
the small bone on the outside of the knee. I press just below, slightly inside,
this bone, (when an acupuncture needle is used one can feel an electric impluse
down to the ankle.) I place a pad over this point on the same leg
as the Spleen 6. I then do the same thing on the other leg with the second lead
Again I slowly turn on the "wheel" controls of the TENS unit to
feel the electric impulses.

Drop Foot: If you increase the electric impulse on Gall Bladder 34 it will stimulate the "releveur" muscle and
lift up the foot. This is the "drop foot" muscle and if I had known this I would have tried to keep this muscle
working on my right side. (The muscle still works as a reflex, but I
can't make it work. Maybe continued stimulation will revive it, but at any
rate I will do everything to avoid losing the left side.)

As an alternative Yang point I place the pad in the middle of the back of the knee which is Urinary
Bladder 40, thinking this will open circulation from the spine. However, it can cramp the calves, so I go slowly.

In addition I now work the upper back point to open fluid circulation from the brain. I place a
pad where the outside of neck meets the shoulder in line with the nipple,
slightly below the top of the shoulder. This is Gall Bladder 21 "Shoulder Well".
(Acupressure points are sensitive so I poke around until I've found the
point.) This Gall Bladder point "clears up" my head and I'm convinced it opens
the blood flow from the head. For the complementary Yin point I use
Spleen 10 which is found about 3 fingers up from the knee on the middle of the
inside thigh. (An alternative would be Liver 9 found one third up the
inside of the thigh between the muscles.) Again, these will be very
sensitive points. I place the pads from the lead on one side and then repeat the
process on the other. Now I slowly turn on the "wheel" controls of the TENS
unit to feel the electric impulses. (I don't touch the pads with my
fingers when the unit is "on", the finger tips are very sensitive.) I get
immediate relief with the upper back points. Also, if I start to have
an "attack", this will stop it. Sometimes I'm not really aware that an attack
has stopped, but by next morning the symptoms are gone.

I don't know how effective this self-treatment will be for others. Since I now believe my
first known MS attack struck the upper spinal cord, it may be the upper back
GB21 point may be more effective for me than others. The GB34 knee point has
almost ALWAYS been used in my Acupuncture treatments so I believe it should be
of use to everyone.

These treatments have changed my life. I used to live in dread of a breakdown. I can now control the
stress and prevent “attacks”.

One observation. I just looked up Tens Acupressure on Amazon to find it has become all the rage. Even 3
years ago I don’t think there was the choice of TENS that exists today and
previously they were sold for pain treatment, not for Acupressure. Also one can
buy an Acupuncture point “pen” which lights up when the point has been detected.
Books are also available. There is no need to pay more than $100 (even $50). At
such a minor investment, why not give it a try?

If one has doubts about my suggested self help treatment, by all means ask your Acupuncturist. But don’t
allow yourself to be discouraged. If she doesn’t agree with my suggestions, then
insist that she demonstrate another treatment plan. Don’t allow yourself to be
discouraged away from self treatment. I’m not suggesting one should forego treatment
by a professional. Rather, the professional should assist you in daily self
treatment as a complement to his work. Otherwise he may be trying to monopolize
the treatment for financial gain, or has what I call a Zorro complex who
wants to play the rescue hero or is a control freak.

One further comment. If one suffers acute spasticity and wants a professional therapist, I believe one should be treated first by Acupressure since I've found Acupuncture needles can trigger an even more acute spasm. Also, one should be aware that one can suffer acute pain because of a "blocked" meridian rather than a damaged nerve or any other obvious organic disorder, and that treating the meridian can alone eliminate the pain. Also one can treat oneself by simply palpating the correct points.

I now give myself a Tens Acupressure treatment every morning. Sometimes I wake up with a groggy depressed
feeling which implies the fluids are stagnating in my brain and afterwards I
always feel better as the depression lifts. This is especially true during the
winter when I can’t swim or get enough exercise. Sometimes I don’t feel the treatment does much,
especially during the summer months. But I do it anyway, part of my daily routine like brushing my teeth. And I ALWAYS do it if I'm having a stress attack or am upset. Once someone really offended me and I put off treating myself until morning. The next morning the nerves controlling my "good" left foot had been damaged. Big mistake.

Additional information on my take of how Acupuncture theory relates to MS can be found under the blog post Acupuncture and CCSVI.

Breaking news at the CCSVI Conference at Sherbrooke Canada. Under the CCSVI thread of Thisisms.com, Cece September 30, 2013
"In the photo, you can see a nice flow chart. Venous Obstruction -> Venous Reflux -> Venous Hypertension -> Blood Brain Barrier dysruption -> T/B cell leakage -> Myelin Attack. Those latter three events (from BBB dysruption
to myelin attack) are established in the current literature. The first three (from venous obstruction to venous hypertension) are fluid dynamics.

Previously published on my site MSCureEnigmas.net

Best regards, Vesta
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Vesta

This is informative and I shall buy new pads and batteries for the TENS. It was given to me by my physio when I had hip problems. I shall make it my new routine. Your discipline is very impressive. Thank you.

I did have quite a lot of acupuncture some time ago but when I got trigeminal neuralgia and I think it made that worse so although she was excellent, I didn't go back.

I need a reboot - having been diagnosed over a decade ago and with symptoms dating back to 1990 I am not sure how much I can 'regain' if any but I need to do something constructive.

kind regards and merci beaucoup

:)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I am not sure how much I can 'regain'"

Time will tell, but you might be able to improve quite a bit it you find the right treatment(s). A TENS unit is a good idea. It is something I would definitely be using if I could (I have a Pacemaker). Keep in mind that recently there have been reports of people who have had MS for a long time having major improvements (including getting out of wheelchairs) and this should be very encouraging for us all!
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks ElloitB

Sorry to hear your pacemaker means you can't use it. Mine is just a very basic thing with pads that are stuck to my skin. My TENS is one of these https://www.jpmproducts.co.uk/equipment ... 200%20PLUS

I'll let you all know how I get on.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Jaded wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 am Vesta

This is informative and I shall buy new pads and batteries for the TENS. It was given to me by my physio when I had hip problems. I shall make it my new routine. Your discipline is very impressive. Thank you.

I did have quite a lot of acupuncture some time ago but when I got trigeminal neuralgia and I think it made that worse so although she was excellent, I didn't go back.

I need a reboot - having been diagnosed over a decade ago and with symptoms dating back to 1990 I am not sure how much I can 'regain' if any but I need to do something constructive.

kind regards and merci beaucoup

:)
Hello Jaded.

Consider my February 22, 2018 blog post "Trigeminal Neuralgia, MS and Veins" (quote from)

"There it is. Veins. TN Venous « Compression ». CCSVI - MS Venous « Stenosis ». The same disorder, manifesting differently. In TN a severe venous muscle "spasm" crushes the nerve. In MS the venous "spasm" sends blood back jetting into the Central Nervous System. I won’t look further than that. I knew nothing about TN until just now.

So for TN victims, check out my Seven Steps to MS Health."

My sister has TN triggered by dental work. She found an acupuncturist who released the "spasm", but another therapist was unsuccessful and obviously if someone's treatment makes your condition worse, no reason to continue. Sorry I copied out the post above several times. I can't find the quote symbol.

Best regards, Vesta
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thank you Vesta

I also go to see my physio who massages the neck & shoulder area and it helps the whole area relax which relates to what you said.

I hope your sister has managed to keep it at bay. I know mine flares when I am stressed and to date I think it i due to a viral infection - herpes - as it tends to arise with cold sores. I take acyclovir every day now and even then I still get flares but in no way as disabling as before.

Jaded
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hi Vesta

I am using the tens on the points for drop foot in the mornings. I wonder if you have any that might help the bladder? I have retention. I have read your website and also looked at the yingtnghouse website but can't see which points might help.

Thank you. J. x