Why the Paleo-Macrobiotic Diet Works

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Why the Paleo-Macrobiotic Diet Works

Post by NHE »

vesta wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 amSorry I copied out the post above several times. I can't find the quote symbol.

Use the new "Reply with quote" button. Image
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Vesta, in rereading your original post I would like to suggest you consider a minor adjustment to a couple of your recommendations dealing with protein:

"For protein emphasize wild Fish: Raw fish in Sushi is excellent (avoid raw Salmon) but cooked fish is better than meat because the latter has saturated fat. One animal protein a day. I know the vegans won’t like this, but I can’t survive without one serving a day and I have an intolerance for soybeans."

1: emphasize wild Fish
Wild caught fish (and seafood) should me the ONLY type of fish (and seafood) consumed. There are numerous issues with farm raised fish and seafood and frankly they should NEVER be consumed.

2: cooked fish is better than meat because the latter has saturated fat.
Grass fed meats (100% grass fed and finished) are as nutritious as wild caught fish and seafood and share pretty much the same proportions of good fats. 100% grass fed/finished beef is leaner than conventional grain fed beef, yet its fat tends to have a higher proportion of omega-3 fatty acids and has limited bad fats.

Keep in mind that not all grass fed meats are 100% grass fed/grass finished. Under certain circumstances, grass fed animals can be fed grains for a short period of time just prior to processing which greatly effects the fat content/ratios. Yet they are still called 'grass fed'. You can't be too careful!!! Many companies offer meat products that are truly 100% grass fed/grass finished which should be the only type of meat anyone, especially those with MS, should consume.

I know very little about raw fish but suspect at this time because of (health) issues with the food supply, it should be avoided whenever possible. I saw this 'tip' online regarding the consumption of raw fish which makes sense, when eating raw fish, choose fish that has been previously frozen. Apparently freezing kills any potential parasites present. Many fishing fleets now include floating fish processing factories when the fish is processed immediately after being caught - can't ask for fresher/safer than that!
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hi ElliotB

Can I ask what the issues are with farmed fish? I don't like wild salmon.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are several issues with farm raised fish. First of all, the diet they receive changes the nutrition in the fat because they are fed grains. Fish will eat grains but they were not meant to eat grains. Also, typically the sanitary conditions are not the best (usually very, very poor in fact). So to be polite I will say that the fish are swimming in dirty water (use your imagination here...). There are other issues as well.

There are many varieties of wild salmon and several sources as well. I find salmon sourced from Alaska the best and I don't like all of the different types of salmon (some are too fishy tasting for me). I am fortunate to live in an area where fresh whole Alaskan salmon is available seasonally and good quality frozen wild caught salmon is available year round.

Which one(s) have you tried?
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

I've tried Wild Alaskan! Seemed a bit dry. Purchased in the local supermarket in the UK.

Also not keen on fresh tuna - prefer the tinned variety. Hmmmm, this isn't going well is it.....
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

ElliotB wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 pm Vesta, in rereading your original post I would like to suggest you consider a minor adjustment to a couple of your recommendations dealing with protein:

"For protein emphasize wild Fish: Raw fish in Sushi is excellent (avoid raw Salmon) but cooked fish is better than meat because the latter has saturated fat. One animal protein a day. I know the vegans won’t like this, but I can’t survive without one serving a day and I have an intolerance for soybeans."

1: emphasize wild Fish
Wild caught fish (and seafood) should me the ONLY type of fish (and seafood) consumed. There are numerous issues with farm raised fish and seafood and frankly they should NEVER be consumed.

2: cooked fish is better than meat because the latter has saturated fat.
Grass fed meats (100% grass fed and finished) are as nutritious as wild caught fish and seafood and share pretty much the same proportions of good fats. 100% grass fed/finished beef is leaner than conventional grain fed beef, yet its fat tends to have a higher proportion of omega-3 fatty acids and has limited bad fats.

Keep in mind that not all grass fed meats are 100% grass fed/grass finished. Under certain circumstances, grass fed animals can be fed grains for a short period of time just prior to processing which greatly effects the fat content/ratios. Yet they are still called 'grass fed'. You can't be too careful!!! Many companies offer meat products that are truly 100% grass fed/grass finished which should be the only type of meat anyone, especially those with MS, should consume.

I know very little about raw fish but suspect at this time because of (health) issues with the food supply, it should be avoided whenever possible. I saw this 'tip' online regarding the consumption of raw fish which makes sense, when eating raw fish, choose fish that has been previously frozen. Apparently freezing kills any potential parasites present. Many fishing fleets now include floating fish processing factories when the fish is processed immediately after being caught - can't ask for fresher/safer than that!
Thanks ElliotB: I will certainly revise my post keeping your suggestions in mind. I've stopped eating Sushi except on rare occasions. I'm certain your poor opinion of farm raised fish is well justified. How do you find grass fed meat? Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and will make the revisions (within the next few weeks, I'm leaving for Spain on Saturday.)

Best regards, Vesta
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

NHE wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm
vesta wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 amSorry I copied out the post above several times. I can't find the quote symbol.

Use the new "Reply with quote" button. Image
Thanks NHE. Best, Vesta
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Jaded wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:42 pm Hi Vesta

I am using the tens on the points for drop foot in the mornings. I wonder if you have any that might help the bladder? I have retention. I have read your website and also looked at the yingtnghouse website but can't see which points might help.

Thank you. J. x
Hello Jaded:

The Bladder Meridian runs down the bands of muscles on the back. Start by stimulating the points on the back muscles at the waist. Start with that and we can go from there. Another suggestion, find the point one quarter of the way up from the public bone to the navel and press hard with the middle finger. This should release the bladder. (I've never tried the TENS on that point manual stimulation will do.) A Shiatsu massage working on the back muscles works wonders on stimulating the bladder. Points behind the knees. Acupuncturists work on the Kidney meridien as well which is the Yin partner to the Yang Bladder. Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Best regards, Vesta
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks Vesta, I certainly will.

Best wishes and good luck with your website update x
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"How do you find grass fed meat?"

Grass fed meat is really not much different from regular meat except grass fed meat is generally much leaner so it is necessary to cook it at lower temperatures for less time. "Slow and low" is a common catchphrase for describing the proper method of cooking of grass fed meats. If you cook them too quickly and/or at too high of a temperature or too long, they become extremely tough. It takes just a bit of time to learn how to properly prepare/cook grass fed meats, and once you master it they are very enjoyable.

Grass fed meat, 100% grass fed/finish meat is different in color than grain fed meat, a little on the purple side (nowhere near as pink as grain fed meat).

Interestingly, since the nutrients in meats are concentrated in their fats (yes, it be hard to believe but fat from grass fed meats is really, really good for you), the lower priced fattier cuts are healthier. And since fat is what gives meat flavor anyway, these cuts of meat also taste better than the more expensive leaner meats.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 am There are several issues with farm raised fish. First of all, the diet they receive changes the nutrition in the fat because they are fed grains. Fish will eat grains but they were not meant to eat grains. Also, typically the sanitary conditions are not the best (usually very, very poor in fact). So to be polite I will say that the fish are swimming in dirty water (use your imagination here...). There are other issues as well.

The color of the farmed salmon's flesh is also artificially created using dyes to make it more aesthetically appealing since the fish are no longer obtaining natural carotenoids, e.g., astaxanthin, through their diet. The loss of natural carotenoids depreciates the farmed salmon's micronutrient content.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

vesta wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 am

6. Homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum by Boiron to head off a virus. IT WORKS (unless perhaps one is taking a toxic drug. Anti-biotics annul it for me.) Cost – 1 euro the dose, 1 or 2 doses will stop a sore throat, 6 doses maximum treatment over 3 days ($8).

Vesta

Thank you for this information which you posted as part of your regime.

I am on day three of a bad cold/flu (is it flu?) - yesterday I was awful. I started taking the Oscillococcinum on day two because I hadn't ordered it and had to get it on next day from Amazon! I had two doses yesterday and two today. Today I am feeling a lot better though. I am not back to my usual self by any means. My nose is still blocked but the sinus pain (and the feeling of a wrench around my head) and the exhaustion have abated. :-D I actually had energy today so I hope it has stopped this in its tracks. I have two more of the six doses left and I hope by then I will be even better!

Thank you - I shall make sure I always have this in stock!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Jaded wrote:I am on day three of a bad cold/flu (is it flu?) - yesterday I was awful. I started taking the Oscillococcinum on day two because I hadn't ordered it and had to get it on next day from Amazon! I had two doses yesterday and two today. Today I am feeling a lot better though. I am not back to my usual self by any means. My nose is still blocked but the sinus pain (and the feeling of a wrench around my head) and the exhaustion have abated.
I use a sinus rinse whenever I have sinus problems. I find that it really helps accelerate feeling better. I use the NeilMed and find that it works well and is easy to use.

http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sinus- ... egular-Kit

You can find it in stores like Target for less or online at Amazon.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Jaded wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:25 am
vesta wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 am

6. Homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum by Boiron to head off a virus. IT WORKS (unless perhaps one is taking a toxic drug. Anti-biotics annul it for me.) Cost – 1 euro the dose, 1 or 2 doses will stop a sore throat, 6 doses maximum treatment over 3 days ($8).

Vesta

Thank you for this information which you posted as part of your regime.

I am on day three of a bad cold/flu (is it flu?) - yesterday I was awful. I started taking the Oscillococcinum on day two because I hadn't ordered it and had to get it on next day from Amazon! I had two doses yesterday and two today. Today I am feeling a lot better though. I am not back to my usual self by any means. My nose is still blocked but the sinus pain (and the feeling of a wrench around my head) and the exhaustion have abated. :-D I actually had energy today so I hope it has stopped this in its tracks. I have two more of the six doses left and I hope by then I will be even better!

I hope you are feeling better. Keep the oscillococcinum always on hand, if you had taken it at the first symptoms you might have avoided the virus altogether. best regards, Vesta

Thank you - I shall make sure I always have this in stock!
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks Vesta - I shan't be without it now.

Thanks NHE - yes I have that same product!