gnawing, boring, itching sensation

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Dahlia
Family Member

gnawing, boring, itching sensation

Post by Dahlia »

I'm coming up to 14yrs since diagnosis - no meds - gluten free vegan and eat fish. I can still walk 5kms without having to sit down, but can't run very well. About 1yr ago I developed this horrible annoying itching, boring, gnawing sensation on the right side of my head - just by ear - it comes and goes. I guess it's the MS. Some days it's worse than others, sometimes if I lie down it goes away, sometimes stress will trigger it.
Anyone else have this?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: gnawing, boring, itching sensation

Post by jimmylegs »

no specific parallel here. pescetarian is supposed to be pretty optimal.
devil is in the details when it comes to implementation.
have you put your diet (and regimen in general) in front of a dietitian for review?
have you journaled to see if you can detect any variation in your routine that coincides with it coming vs going?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Dahlia
Family Member

Post by Dahlia »

Hi Jimmylegs,
:-D Gluten-Free-Dairy/Egg-Free Pescatarian - no dietician. Before diagnosis I was Pescatarian for approx. 20yrs - post, removed the dairy, eggs and gluten. I keep track of my symptoms - this one appeared middle of 2017. Very obvious for a few days, then eventually disappeared - but returned with the heat and humidity + sometimes stress - in Sydney. Hoping it goes away...........
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

Is this trigeminal neuralgia? If so a course of steroid might be worth a try.
Dahlia
Family Member

Post by Dahlia »

thanks koneall - I see from google search that trigeminal neuralgia can be 'itch' - caused by the trigeminal or 5th cranial nerve in the face. As I was diagnosed with a cranial nerve palsy - this would probably fit. If it gets really bad 'again' I will go back to the pot.
...jimmylegs- glad you have had the opportunity to visit Oz.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p249684
"In primary TN patients, the concentration of Ca, P, Mg in serum is lower than the control group" (2017)

Efficacy of intravenous magnesium in neuropathic pain (2002) (includes tgn)
fft https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1217370228

Intravenous lidocaine and magnesium for management of intractable trigeminal neuralgia: a case series of nine patients (2013)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 013-1641-5

Efficacy of intravenous lidocaine and magnesium in intractable trigeminal neuralgia: A preliminary report (2016)
fft http://www.jns-journal.com/article/S002 ... X/fulltext
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Dahlia
Family Member

Post by Dahlia »

Up date on this, went to see neuro pre XMAS - does not think it is trigeminal neuralgia - have to have follow up brain and spine mri. Neuro thinks possibly a new lesion on the spinal cord. As I hate the mri machine, this could take some time to follow up.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you can do it. personally used to have much higher anxiety re mri machine back in the strict vegan era (ie no fish). better nourished now, calmer. it's a relief. any recent nutritional bloodwork on file at your end?

Return to “General Discussion”