Optic Neuritis & Corrective Lenses

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
AmbiCat
Getting to Know You...

Optic Neuritis & Corrective Lenses

Post by AmbiCat »

So, I've had nearsightedness since I was little. It's pretty significant, but since my first attack that started last month, I developed optic neuritis. The steroids didn't completely eradicate it, though I can see much better in that eye now.

My question is this: can you still get corrective lenses that work well even if you suffer from optic neuritis? I'm due for an eye exam, and I know my contacts/glasses are a bit too weak even in my "good" eye (both eyes used to have the same prescription until a few weeks ago). What do they do in this case, especially since it's hard to tell if it'll go away or not?

I don't have any floaters/depth perception issues anymore, so it's mainly just moderate blurriness, but the blurriness kind of "moves," for lack of a better description, like things go in and out of focus. I'm just not sure if there's something special they have to do when they do eye exams with optic neuritis or not (they did get my vision mostly to 20/20 in the eye exam when my neuro sent me to an eye doctor after the vision issues started, but again it sort of "moves").
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Optic Neuritis & Corrective Lenses

Post by NHE »

AmbiCat wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 am So, I've had nearsightedness since I was little. It's pretty significant, but since my first attack that started last month, I developed optic neuritis. The steroids didn't completely eradicate it, though I can see much better in that eye now.

My question is this: can you still get corrective lenses that work well even if you suffer from optic neuritis? I'm due for an eye exam, and I know my contacts/glasses are a bit too weak even in my "good" eye (both eyes used to have the same prescription until a few weeks ago). What do they do in this case, especially since it's hard to tell if it'll go away or not?
I needed new lenses for my glasses shortly after being diagnosed. I waited until my eyes stabilized before getting a new prescription. It was probably 4-6 months. However, if you really need new glasses, then it may be best not to wait. Ask your optician for their opinion. Note: ON affects the retinal nerve. The need for corrective lenses is often due to changes in eye shape so ON may not be that big of a factor.