Accidental MS Treatment Discovery

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
vesta
Family Elder

Accidental MS Treatment Discovery

Post by vesta »

On reading a recent post on the ThisisMS forum website, I noticed that « Ambicat’s » MRI revealed « a signal change in my spinal cord ». I suggested having the area in question massaged with the aim of releasing the muscle spasms which I believed to be at the origin of the « attack ».
I suggested that Ambicat and her/his Neurologist consider the following information.***

Scientific knowledge often evolves through fortuitous «accidents », perhaps the most famous being Alexander Fleming’s discovery of Penicillin. The accident in my case is that 1) I relieved an MS attack inadvertently by getting a Shiatsu massage, 2) my neurologist recognized an unusual medical incident had occurred which was confirmed by 3) a world renowned Neurologist before a master class of MDs and 4) I kept a journal concerning this event 5) which I compared to my medical file all of which 6) I brought together while writing this MS healing blog.

Why ignore this incident ? What harm could a massage do ? Why not ask the Neurologist to oversee the « treatment ». Maybe more steroids can be avoided ?

Below is a truncated version of a May 5, 2013 blog post on «mscureenigmas.net https://www.mscureenigmas.net
Dr. Christopher Pallis and Shiatsu Massage

My first known MS attack paralysed my right arm. My San Francisco HMO Neurologist said that mine was
an unusual case and asked if I would come to be examined by a renowned British Neurologist who would be giving a Master Class at the Hospital.  After examining me Dr. Christopher Pallis drew on the board a tube like structure, making a partial “bite” in it, explaining that this was an unusual case since the lesions didn’t go all the way through as evidenced by the fact that the right leg was not affected like the right arm.

Dr. Pallis had drawn a spinal cord on the board. This was 1980 before the use of the MRI. He didn’t have an explanation for this anomaly.. Today, I do.

How is it that the “attack”didn’t “eat through”the entire spinal cord 
which would have left me unable to walk?

My answer. The Shiatsu massage of 38 days previous. My notes show that when I went to the Emergency room on May 2 my upper spine burned fiercely. After the massage on May 9 I felt a total relief. The massage must have stopped what I believe to be blood back jets onto the spinal cord. By May 14 I was feeling much better. 

I inadvertently saved my legs by getting a Shiatsu massage. Yes, the MS attack struck the spine on which the massage could be particularly effective. My Neurologist was puzzled, he was getting ready to launch me into steroid treatment, but then the whole process stopped. No one asked if I had done anything to arrive at this. Too bad Dr. Pallis didn’t think to ask. 

I now believe at the first onset of MS symptoms one should get a massage.Why not? I can’t see any possible harm, and the benefits may be beyond anyone’s expectations.

The above is a truncated version of the May 5, 2013 blog post on MSCureEnigmas.net

https://www.mscureenigmas.net

*** « Diagnosed with CIS today, more tests to come. Things to know/ask ? » by Ambicat, April 26, 2019 TIMS
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: Accidental MS Treatment Discovery

Post by Zyklon »

This is far away from a discovery...
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

more clickbait as far as i can tell... related:
viewtopic.php?p=256054#p256054
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Zyklon wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:11 pm This is far away from a discovery...
Greetings:

It would be a discovery if massage were recognized by Neurologists as the best first response to an MS attack before launching into steroids. I posted this because what happened cannot be dismissed as merely "anecdotal", the relief I experienced was recognized as real by multiple Neurologists. Tell me, where in North America do Neurologists recommend a Shiatsu massage to their MS patients suffering an MS attack before even considering steroids?

Best regards, Vesta
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

jimmylegs wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm more clickbait as far as i can tell... related:
viewtopic.php?p=256054#p256054
Greetings:

After NHE expressed the fear of copyright infringement I wrote "

"Sorry, I don't want to threaten your excellent site. In fact that is my article from my own site (so I obviously won't sue you!) and I was hoping to get feedback on the ideas. Well, I won't do it again. (In my site I have always given full credit to Thisisms.com as well as to participants on the site and assume you have gained readers in consequence.)

On Dec 14, 2014 NHE responded in a personal message:

"feel free to quote your own writing as much as you wish. In addition, a link back to the source is always appreciated."

My interest is in providing information which may be of use to TIMS readers, not self aggrandizement.

Best regards, Vesta
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

I can find an idiot who claims feeling better with drinking lead...

Please science, sources, data...
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Zyklon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 am I can find an idiot who claims feeling better with drinking lead...

Please science, sources, data...
First comes the IDEA based on an observation. Then the research. Do you think for a minute Fleming understood why the bacteria adjacent the fungus had disappeared? His reaction, "That's funny". Then came the research.

Please, let's see a true scientist do the research to understand what happened so we can have "science, sources, data". Unfortunately, it's not in the financial interest of Big Pharma/MS medical lobby to discover that a massage is preferable to steroids, so who is going to do the research, funded by whom?

By the way, I'm not an idiot.

Best regards,
Vesta
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Many great discoveries are often accidental! This phenomenon is not unusual!!

Here is an interesting article on this subject, titled "These 18 Accidental And Unintended Scientific Discoveries Changed The World:"

https://www.sciencealert.com/these-eigh ... -the-world
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

for any readers who take away from this conversation the idea that no research on massage and ms exists, please refer to the academic literature and draw your own conclusions.
i won't be promoting this thread with any further response or reply.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

You can't label anything a discovery with your observations. You need proof. It is not scientific.

Massage can be beneficial. It may have the potential. I am just against labeling your experience as a treatment discovery. It can work for you but we don't know if it will destroy someone else.