Swollen ankles and feet

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
robbie
Family Elder

Swollen ankles and feet

Post by robbie »

Feet are like football's so I looked and there it was again MS , is there anything ms doesn't cause ?

Swollen feet and ankles are common in MS, and are caused by an accumulation of lymphatic fluid (lymphedema). They are considered to be a secondary symptom of the disease, because they most often develop due to a lack of mobility instead of arising as a direct result of demyelination.:)
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Swollen ankles and feet

Post by NHE »

robbie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:35 pm Feet are like football's so I looked and there it was again MS , is there anything ms doesn't cause ?
How's your blood pressure? High blood pressure can inhibit the return of lymphatic fluid back into the venous system.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

You can't blame everything on MS, many people without MS also have to deal with the issue of swollen ankles and feet for a variety of reasons and many people with MS do not have swollen ankles and feet. This is a common issue for those who cannot walk regardless of whether they have MS or not.

But the good news is that these symptoms can easily be treated and improved. There are many simple treatment options (do an internet search). Increasing circulation to you feet is important to start with. There are many machines available to help with this that are very inexpensive and can be done from a sitting position - do a search on Amazon for a product such as this one called "LegXercise" (I picked this at random just as an example - there are many similar devices available)

https://www.amazon.com/LegXercise-Seate ... 071GNXGRV/

Per the manufacturer:

Patented passive exercise technique: Creates constant leg movement to mimic the natural muscle activity of walking in the convenience of your own home or office
2 speed setting & quiet motor: 1410 steps and 1650 steps, both in 30 minute intervals (which is recommended by the U.S. Government guidelines of 30 minutes per day, five days a week).
Electronic foot plates glide forward and backwards: Allowing individuals to exercise their legs comfortably where traditional exercise routines can be painful or downright impossible for certain individuals.
Ergonomic design and comfortable to use continuously for hours

This company also makes this PRO model which is a little more advanced, offering slightly higher speed and has a slightly curved foot rest movement path for Increased Range of Motion (which means More Movement) which is probably a good idea and it is only a few dollars more than the original model:

https://legxercise.com/legxercise-pro/

Although I don't have swelling in my feet and I exercise a lot, especially leg/foot related exercise, I do have some weakness in my left leg and just order the PRO model and should receive it in a few days. I am hoping that the device will possibly help with this for me, who knows.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Blood pressure is good, I just ment that the lose of mobility because of ms results in swollen feet and ankles. My right ankle has locked inward and sits on it's side. I used a foot machine years ago that shocked your calves and really felt good. Tried braces through an OT but never found anything. I cannot move my feet at all , can't move my toes at all not even a wiggle, can't move at all from the waist down unless it's a spasm. Couldn't use any machine now, I know there's a lot of can't in this paragraph but it's all relative to where your at.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Is it that there is no one at tims that has advanced ms or just that it doesn't help to talk about it ?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Robbie,
Maybe you could try pneumatic compression sleeves like the kind they use in hospitals to help prevent blood clots after surgery.

Here's an example: DVT Pump and DVT Sleeves

Amazon also carries similar devices. https://www.amazon.com/Air-Compression- ... 07MQRCG8H/
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I just received the "LegXercise" machine I ordered and am trying it out now for the first time. I am impressed with it. If you have any type of issue with your legs such as stiffness and/or cramping, swelling or have lost the ability to use them, it may be a good idea to invest in one and use it regularly. I am sure at a minimum this device can help with blood circulation and swelling in the feet, ankles and legs as well. I plan on using it daily.

I know it may take weeks, likely months or perhaps even longer for me to see if it helps with my specific issues, I am optimistic it will. After only about 5 minutes, I can feel my leg muscles being affected in some way (feels like I have been walking for a bit) which is pretty amazing considering the short range of motion and the fact that I am sitting down and the machine is doing all the work. The curved path of the foot rests of the pro LegXercise model is a better design than all the other machines that just have a flat path. And it is only a few dollars more expensive but worth it!

I strongly believe this machine has tremendous potential to help those with mobility issues and those in need of assistance in moving/exercising/stretching their legs and feet.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I just completed using the LegXercise PRO machine for about a half hour. My legs feel like I have been walking for a couple of hours. And I sat the entire time using it - the machine did all the work for me. Needless to say, I am impressed!
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Keep at it EB it can only be good 😊
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are still at least a few options available to you that can help you feel a little better. And improve. Slowly over time. Don't expect immediate results. Others with similar levels of disability as you have improved following unproven protocols only recently discovered.

You have some serious physical issues that have taken years to get you to the point you are at now so again, don't expect immediate results. BUT there can certainly still be hope for you for some improvement - you need to be willing to try them for reasonable (longer rather than shorter) periods of time and be patient. Not everything you try will work. And may take some time to help you.

Frankly, I was shocked at what occurred yesterday with the machine I got. I am hopeful it will help me over the long term. And I would not even have known about it if you had not posted this thread. So thank you!
ArthurJ
Family Member

Post by ArthurJ »

Hi ElliotB,
ElliotB wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:30 pm I just received the "LegXercise" machine I ordered and am trying it out now for the first time. I am impressed with it. If you have any type of issue with your legs such as stiffness and/or cramping, swelling or have lost the ability to use them, it may be a good idea to invest in one and use it regularly. I am sure at a minimum this device can help with blood circulation and swelling in the feet, ankles and legs as well. I plan on using it daily.

I know it may take weeks, likely months or perhaps even longer for me to see if it helps with my specific issues, I am optimistic it will. After only about 5 minutes, I can feel my leg muscles being affected in some way (feels like I have been walking for a bit) which is pretty amazing considering the short range of motion and the fact that I am sitting down and the machine is doing all the work. The curved path of the foot rests of the pro LegXercise model is a better design than all the other machines that just have a flat path. And it is only a few dollars more expensive but worth it!

I strongly believe this machine has tremendous potential to help those with mobility issues and those in need of assistance in moving/exercising/stretching their legs and feet.
Apparently, you have a Teeter recumbent elliptical and a vertical climber. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30840&p=257085&hil ... er#p257085 The LegXerciser looks like a much more limited machine. What advantage does it offer that the other two don't? If you're fit enough to use the other machines, it's difficult to imagine that the LegXerciser could provide additional benefit with its limited range of motion.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Hi ArthurJ, and thanks for you thoughtful post and comments, you bring up many good points.

"it's difficult to imagine that the LegXerciser could provide additional benefit with its limited range of motion"

Yes, very true. In fact, that is exactly what I thought at first!

And yes, I do have a mini gym in my home and use all the equipment numerous times a week (typically daily) and do a lot of walking (twice daily as well). I have always exercised regularly (started as a teenager) and exercise is now more important than ever and I do as much as I can.

Yet in spite of all the exercise I do, which is for the most part concentrated on my legs, the muscles in my left leg continues to weaken/deteriorate. My doctor has done some advanced muscle mass testing and has confirmed significant muscle loss in my left leg. It has advanced to the point I can see it visually in my calf and thigh. Frankly I don't want to loose my mobility and that may be a reality soon. I am open minded and willing to try new treatment options as long as they are not life-threatening. I am hoping that this device will help reduce/delay or even eliminate that possibility.

So for about $150, I was willing to try it. I am glad I did. It truly is difficult to believe that a device like this with such a limited simple range of motion and simple design could be of benefit. Yet after using it for just a couple of days, I am so impressed with it! More so than any other piece of equipment I have tried. My leg muscles (both legs) feel well used after using it as if I had walked quite a distance (a couple of miles).

It is too soon for me to make any definitive conclusions about the LegXerciser at this point with regard to its long term benefits for me. Time will tell. Should I be able to confirm improvement in the future, I will post an update. At this point, the one conclusion I am sure of is that my legs get a better 'workout' with this passive device than from all the other exercise I do.

BUT even after using this for such a short period of time, I am certain it can help those who have lost mobility or have stiff leg/foot muscles or swollen feet and ankles. My guess is that it would also be of great benefit for those who have spasticity issues. Perhaps someone with spasticty issues would be willing to try it out and report their results. While I have had minor spasticity issues in the past, I have been able to effectively keep them under control through diet/supplements and exercise.

IMPORTANT: There are many machines of this type available and the LegXerciser PRO model is the only one I saw that has a curved path which seems to add to the range of motion and muscles (and joints) being targeted, especially around the ankles. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer in any way and only discovered this type of device was available in the last week as a result of this thread.

Something else to consider, if you get this device or something similar and feel it doesn't help you (unlikely IMHO), you can always sell it on eBay and get most of your money back!

If you have any leg/foot issues, you should seriously consider using this type of device because you will never know if it can help you unless you try it. Perhaps it can even help with drop foot, you never know.
Last edited by ElliotB on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Hard to believe 10 years ago , i was doing some leg exercise on that bowflex in the background. I was feeling so good during this time , being able to stand was amazing. Didn't get any better than this, lasted about a year.

Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
ArthurJ
Family Member

Post by ArthurJ »

ElliotB wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:19 amIt is too soon for me to make any definitive conclusions about the LegXerciser at this point with regard to its long term benefits for me. Time will tell. Should I be able to confirm improvement in the future, I will post an update. At this point, the one conclusion I am sure of is that my legs get a better 'workout' with this passive device than from all the other exercise I do.

BUT even after using this for such a short period of time, I am certain it can help those who have lost mobility or have stiff leg/foot muscles or swollen feet and ankles. My guess is that it would also be of great benefit for those who have spasticity issues. Perhaps someone with spasticty issues would be willing to try it out and report their results. While I have had minor spasticity issues in the past, I have been able to effectively keep them under control through diet/supplements and exercise.
It's good to hear that it's working out for you.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I met with my doctor yesterday and he feels that perhaps at least some of the issues I am having with my left leg are due to a bit of spasticty, so I myself might be a good test case for this machine. Time will tell...