Fluorescence spectroscopy for nutrient status testing

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Fluorescence spectroscopy for nutrient status testing

Post by jimmylegs »

some of my latest reading has been related to iron status in the context of chronic inflammation, in part because of a recent tendency to more elevated ferritin.

that reading led me to zinc protoporphyrin (ZPP) testing for iron deficiency anemia. i read about a non invasive fluorescence spectroscopy device for zpp testing (and about locally available zpp hematofluorometry).

@zyklon i started to wonder if your docs would have felt any need to check your iron status via zpp testing, given your elevated ferritin a few yrs back?

didn't find any suggestion that zpp might be useful for ms patients in general, but i did find this interesting aside:

Lead poisoning from complementary and alternative medicine in multiple sclerosis (2000)
https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/jnnp/69/5/687.full.pdf
"... The most likely sources of lead were a homeopathic remedy and a pipe used to smoke marijuana. He took both of these as alternative medicine for his symptoms of multiple sclerosis but did not disclose this to his medical practitioner. The use of complementary and alternative medicine among patients with multiple sclerosis is extensive2 3 and this case
report indicates that on some occasions they may exacerbate symptoms
The remedy that he had taken was not available for analysis but was prepared using lead. ... In addition, during this period he started smoking marijuana for treatment of symptoms of multiple sclerosis. He used a metallic silver pipe made in Thailand that had metallic inlays. A metallic lump the size of a match head found inside the cone was tested by the ACT Government Analytical Laboratories. It contained 26%–39% lead and the laboratory considered that this would give off large quantities of lead with smoking. His family members were also tested and not found to have significant lead concentrations. This probably excludes domestic or environmental exposure to lead.
He was treated with oral chelation therapy using 2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA or succimer) in recommended doses (30 mg/kg/day in three divided doses for 5 days and then 20 mg/kg/day in two divided doses for 14 additional days). The medication was tolerated well apart from mild metallic taste and mercaptic odour. He responded with a rapid decrease of lead concentrations from 4.4 to 1.9 µmol/l and improvement in Hb to 135 g/l. This was accompanied by significant improvement in his clinical signs. In particular he noted marked improvement in lower limb power, ataxia, tremor, cognition, and memory. The abdominal colic, nystagmus, and diplopia resolved fully. He was able to walk short
distances without a stick and stated that he had never felt so good."
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Fluorescence spectroscopy for nutrient status testing

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:25 am Lead poisoning from complementary and alternative medicine in multiple sclerosis (2000)
https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/jnnp/69/5/687.full.pdf

"... The most likely sources of lead were a homeopathic remedy and a pipe used to smoke marijuana. He took both of these as alternative medicine for his symptoms of multiple sclerosis but did not disclose this to his medical practitioner. The use of complementary and alternative medicine among patients with multiple sclerosis is extensive.
Calling homeopathy “medicine” of any kind is silly. It is nothing more than a placebo. Try getting intoxicated on 30C ethanol. It’s pure water.

viewtopic.php?t=31320
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

@jimmylegs

I had special MRI checks for iron accumulation and the results were all negative.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok good to hear, z :)

as of most recent tests at this end, i'm working on getting my ferritin levels up a bit! quite a balancing act.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.