Research: Exercise and Physiotherapy for MS

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Research: Exercise and Physiotherapy for MS

Post by jimmylegs »

on tuesday i got back into the pool for the first time since lockdown last december. yikes! overdid it - needed help to walk to the car afterwards :O uhthoff: 1(00!), my wiring: 0.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

watch this! science said so

Post by jimmylegs »

Virtual Reality Glasses Displaying Exercise Give Similar Effects to Those Who Can’t Move
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/virtual ... niversity/

ok maybe it didn't quite say *this*, but it's still fun to do a little light mountain biking :D

GoPro: Backflip Over 72ft Canyon - Kelly McGarry Red Bull Rampage 2013
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

How is the trampolining going JL?

Writing from London where we are in midst of a heatwave. 36C at 6.15pm. I am indoors with a fan on. It's due to rise to 40C tomorrow and that will be a record high.

How are all you other heatwavers getting on?

Uhthoff was discussed on the radio and it took me nearly two decades to get what that meant. I knew my inability to walk properly (or, less easily) in the heat was MS related. Didn't know that it was called Uhthoff's phenomenon - thought that was when the back of my neck feels like someone is stroking the inside of my cervical spine....!

Keep safe everyone

J
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2022 Jul 19
Physical Therapy, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
Blood flow restriction training for an individual with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a case report
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35854431/

Abstract

Background and purpose: Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) often present with weakness, poor balance, and increased fatigue that affects physical function. Blood flow restriction training (BFRt) is a popular treatment method to improve strength in orthopedic patients. However, research is limited on the use of BFRt for individuals with MS. This case report describes the effects of BFRt for an individual with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS).

Case description: A 30-year-old female with RRMS presented to physical therapy (PT) with weakness and balance difficulty. Initial PT interventions were ineffective at improving balance and strength to achieve specific functional standing and balance goals. BFRt was introduced at reevaluation and performed 2×/week for 8 weeks. Activities-specific Balance Confidence Scale, Modified Fatigue Impact Scale, Berg Balance, strength, and 10-meter walk were assessed at 4 and 8 weeks.

Outcomes: Measures of strength and balance improved with the addition of BFRt and no adverse events occurred. The addition of BFRt resulted in a meaningful improvement in the individual's ability to achieve her standing and balance goals.

Discussion: This case report describes the successful application of BFRt to improve function in an individual with RRMS. Further research is warranted for the use of BFRt for individuals with MS.
-------------------------------------

https://www.eboro.cz
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Jaded! sorry it's taken me almost a week to spot your post.
bouncing is going so-so. i need to work on consistent use, multiple short session per day. i'm also going to keep working on the 'balance on one foot for at least 10 seconds' objective.
yeah that uhthoff thing shouldn't be as under the radar as i think it generally tends to be. in early days, esp when b12 deficient, i was far more attuned to lhermitte's (i confess to actually having to look that one up today!?!) and knew more about uhthoff as lived xp, than by name.
i hope you're making it through the heat ok at this stage. the online forecast looks reasonable, at least.
if it's any use in future, one of my dad's useful tips for life without A/C was: use a wrung out bath towel as a light blanket, add the fan, and let evaporation do the rest. when needed, that trick really really helped me get to sleep at night!
it was pretty warm yesterday, and i had a pretty bad day mobility wise. better today, but by no means perfect. time for me to do some rebounding, before another day slips away!

Petr: that article definitely looks like it'll be worth a closer look! nice find.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks for the tip JL. It's cooler today but seems there may be a heatwave coming from Europe

I accept it's partly ageing but I just don't go out when it's hot.

Yes, also thanks for that Petr. Might see if it works for SP :S

J
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hope it's not too hot this coming week!
i'm pleased to relay that i went looking for an ms-specific physiotherapist in my area, and it's actually en route to my local pool. first appointment tomorrow. :O
i'd be taking a copy of that cool internuclear ophthalmoplegia rehab protocol i used in the past few years, if my printer would behave. which it won't!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: watch this! science said so

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:16 pm ok maybe it didn't quite say *this*, but it's still fun to do a little light mountain biking :D

GoPro: Backflip Over 72ft Canyon - Kelly McGarry Red Bull Rampage 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76VEPXYaI0
There is little margin for error in that bike run. I was recently in the hospital. One of my roommates tried to play Evel Knievel on a mountain bike by jumping a 60ft gap. He didn’t make it. He survived, but he died 3 times and was revived, had a stage 4 sacral injury and was quadriplegic. Sometimes the price of “No guts, no glory” is too high.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no kidding!! :O
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

noticed another INO episode starting recently, and it's so nice to just have this rehab in the toolkit. there are a couple of other factors potentially in play, so i hit the gas on those as well. vision noticeably better by yesterday, and i'll keep at the exercises etc today.
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2022 Nov 1
Department of Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
Moderate-to-Vigorous Physical Activity is Related With Retinal Neuronal and Axonal Integrity in Persons With Multiple Sclerosis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36317869/

Abstract

Background: Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) may confer benefits for axonal and/or neuronal integrity in adults with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Purpose: Examine the association between device-measured MVPA with optical coherence tomography (OCT) metrics of retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness and total macular volume (TMV) in persons with and without MS.

Methods: Adults with MS (N = 41), along with sex-matched healthy control (HC) participants (N = 79), underwent measurements of retinal morphology via OCT and wore an accelerometer for a period of 7 days as a measure of MVPA.

Results: Persons with MS had significantly lower MVPA, RNFL thickness, and TMV compared with HCs. MVPA was correlated with RNFL (r = .38, P < .01) thickness and TMV (r = .49, P < .01). Hierarchical linear regression analyses indicated that addition of MVPA attenuated the Group effect on RNFL and TMV. MVPA accounted for 8% and 3% of the variance in TMV (β = .343, P < .01) and RNFL thickness (β = .217, P = .03), respectively.

Conclusion: MVPA was positively associated with axonal and neuronal integrity assessed by OCT and partially explained group differences in those metrics. These results present possible future targets for MS management by increasing MVPA.
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2022 Dec 27
UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences, Department of Neurology, University of California San Francisco, USA
Association of daily physical activity with brain volumes and cervical spinal cord areas in multiple sclerosis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36573559/

Abstract

Background: Remote activity monitoring has the potential to evaluate real-world, motor function, and disability at home. The relationships of daily physical activity with spinal cord white matter and gray matter (GM) areas, multiple sclerosis (MS) disability and leg function, are unknown.

Objective: Evaluate the association of structural central nervous system pathology with ambulatory disability.

Methods: Fifty adults with progressive or relapsing MS with motor disability who could walk >2 minutes were assessed using clinician-evaluated, patient-reported outcomes, and quantitative brain and spinal cord magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) measures. Fitbit Flex2, worn on the non-dominant wrist, remotely assessed activity over 30 days. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed to assess correlations between physical activity and other disability metrics.

Results: Mean age was 53.3 years and median Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) was 4.0. Average daily step counts (STEPS) were highly correlated with EDSS and walking measures. Greater STEPS were significantly correlated with greater C2-C3 spinal cord GM areas (ρ = 0.39, p = 0.04), total cord area (TCA; ρ = 0.35, p = 0.04), and cortical GM volume (ρ = 0.32, p = 0.04).

Conclusion: These results provide preliminary evidence that spinal cord GM area is a neuroanatomical substrate associated with STEPS. STEPS could serve as a proxy to alert clinicians and researchers to possible changes in structural nervous system pathology.
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2023 Nov 16
Department of Sports Medicine, Hatay Training and Research Hospital, Hatay, Turkey
Exercise Improves Physical Capacity, Cognition, Quality of Life and Promotes Neurotrophic Factors in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38077844/

Results: Aerobic exercise and strength exercise groups had significant increases in VO2 max, back and leg strength values, and NGF and NT-3 plasma levels (p<0.01). Cognitive functions, fatigue, sleep quality, and QOL significantly improved in the exercise groups (p<0.01). The balance values were also significantly improved in the aerobic group (p<0.01), and although improvement was observed in the strength group, it was not statistically significant (p>0.05).

Conclusions: Our study provides evidence that regular exercise improves quality of life, cognitive functions, fatigue, and sleep quality in MS patients. The levels of NGF and NT-3, which are important factors in neural regeneration and remyelination, were increased post exercise. It can be suggested that exercise may have a potential effect on MS and slow down the disease process with these results.