Did you know Lion’s Mane Mushrooms/Supplements Can Help Repair Myelin!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Did you know Lion’s Mane Mushrooms/Supplements Can Help Repair Myelin!

Post by ElliotB »

Why is this a 'secret'?

Apparently, it has been known for a while that Lion’s Mane mushrooms have been shown to stimulate bioprotein nerve growth factor (NGF) which I believe has to do with brain function and myelin repair!

I just discovered this yesterday while watching a video about growing mushrooms on YouTube. Why isn't this common knowledge among the various MS communities and healthcare professionals? Frankly I am shocked not only to ONLY find this out now (I have spent almost 10 years doing intense MS research on an almost daily basis and never before came across this information before although I have been taking various mushroom supplements for a long time) and that this AMAZING DISCOVERY is NOT being promoted at all. Frankly, I would have appreciated if any one of the many doctors I have seen over the years would have mentioned it to me as an option.

There are only very limited clinical trials that have been done, very few unfortunately. And the results have been quite favorable. There REALLY should be a ton of research being done!

I came across this interesting article on the topic. The summary says it all:

Is Lion’s Mane Good for Multiple Sclerosis?
Lion’s mane mushrooms show great promise when it comes to multiple sclerosis treatment, both anecdotally and scientifically.

Many people with MS notice an improvement in their symptoms once they start taking a lion’s mane mushroom extract. Dr. Terry Wahls, a medical professional who turned to medicinal mushrooms once she got diagnosed with MS, and her patients swear by its remyelination properties.

Although there are no human studies on the effects of lion’s mane on MS, a few animal studies looked at the effect of this medicinal mushroom on the myelination process.

Another good mushroom to consider is turkey tail. From Google, "High in anti-inflammatory compounds, turkey tail mushroom assists in reducing internal inflammation and is an excellent medicinal remedy for a range of chronic diseases, including MS. Additionally, the mushroom is known as an immune modulator, making it an effective medicinal herb for autoimmune conditions."

https://www.forij.co/blogs/mushrooms/li ... 0sclerosis.

I have been consuming mushroom supplements for many, many years. And now intend on modifying my intake to include MUCH higher dosages of Lion's Mane and Turkey Tail.

Do you consume mushrooms? What has your experience been?
val57gal
Family Member

Re: Did you know Lion’s Mane Mushrooms/Supplements Can Help Repair Myelin!

Post by val57gal »

I take 1000 mg of lion's mane daily, plus a little powder in my coffee. It has only been a few weeks, but I have noticed that I am stronger and more confident in some actions. I'm hoping to continue on this track!

PPMS
dx 2001
wheelchair