Benfotiamine

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Benfotiamine

Post by NHE »

Does anyone use benfotiamine to treat neuropathy? What dosage do you find effective?

The review paper linked below states that a dose of 300 mg 2x/d or 100 mg 4x/d was helpful for treating diabetic neuropathy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8015839/

I found no papers on benfotiamine and multiple sclerosis.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Benfotiamine

Post by NHE »

So I tried benfotiamine. I took 450 mg/day (3x150mg) for 2.5 months. It had no effect on the neuropathic pain in my feet. I bumped up the dose to 600 mg/day (4x150mg) and have been taking this dose for the last 3 weeks. There has been no change. I’ll have to try something else. Please share your experience treating neuropathy. Note, I’ve tried both gabapentin and pregabalin. Neither worked for me. They both made the edema in my feet worse.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi NHE,

Is the edema still an issue, or did it subside when you stopped the medication? Have you tried a therapist who uses lymphatic drainage massage techniques?

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

No, it’s not a problem anymore. I wear compression socks. I found some that almost look like normal socks. I’ve had neuropathy in my feet since I was diagnosed nearly 24 years ago. It’s just worse now. Note, even with compression socks the edema was still a problem when I tried pregabalin.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I just finished a 25 day trial of 5% lidocaine patches for my neuropathic pain. I used one on the top of each foot in a 12 hr on/off cycle. The conclusion of this experiment? The lidocaine patches had no effect on the neuropathic pain.

Return to “Natural Approach”