progressive relapsing MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1949
Family Elder

progressive relapsing MS

Post by David1949 »

MS was dxed 28 years ago. I believed it was primary progressive because I never had relapses. But recently I had 2 episodes that could have been relapses. In both cases I became so weak I had to be hospitalized. Now I'm wondering if maybe i have progressive relapsing. Any suggestions as to how I could find out? Also does anyone else have progressive relapsing.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: progressive relapsing MS

Post by Scott1 »

Hi David,
Unfortunately, there is no distinguishing feature to separate primary progressive from secondary progressive MS. The distinction is purely subjective. It just depends on the diagnosing neurologist to make the call. The same issues would arise separating any progressive form into a relapsing subset. As you would recall, the subset names of MS are really a new phenomenon. Prior to 2001, the classifications would have simply been 'definite MS' or 'probable MS'.
The more recent classifications help determine possible drug selection but the MRI results won't help make that choice. It will be a neurologists call based on all your symptoms and the MRI.
MS is one disease. It's not a multiple choice condition. All the distinctions are somewhat arbitrary.
I've been diagnosed a little longer than you and I have had a big relapse 20 years after diagnosis. The second attack was a monster and it did some damage. You can get over it but it takes time.
Regards,
David1949
Family Elder

Re: progressive relapsing MS

Post by David1949 »

Scott

Thanks for the info

Dave