Adopting with MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Azile
Getting to Know You...

Adopting with MS

Post by Azile »

I haven't been on this site for a while. Hello everyone! :)

I have a question. I may have posted on here that I've had miscarriages. I've had 5 to be exact and am now pursuing in-vitro fertilization (IVF). I haven't gotten any results back yet, and I won't for about 2 weeks on whether or not I'm pregnant. I so hope I am. But, I have to face it that this may not work. My hubby and I both agree we'd try IVF again, however, we are interested in getting information about adopting a baby as well in case the IVF treatments don't work.

Has anyone here adopted while they knew they had MS? If so, did you have any problems with the agency because of the MS or was the MS not much of an issue for the agency when adopting?

I'm 34 years old (hubby is 36), and I have not had any symptoms of my MS since 2003 when I was first diagnosed. I've been off meds for about 1 to 1 1/2 years because I was pursuing having a baby, and I was allergic to Copaxone the only med considered safe during pregnancy (at least by some doctors). My doctor decided I should remain off the meds until further notice. Anyway, off-topic, my hubby is in great health, and we are very stable. I'm currently in class for medical assisting and my hubby works at home on the computer. I think we'd make a great family and we live in a young and very new neighborhood filled with families. I and my hubby are both adopted ourselves. I think we'd make a good impression on an adoption agency for a potential adoption, but I'm just concerned about how they'd view my health condition and how that might deter them from approving us for adoption.

Is this a valid concern? :?:
I'm a little acorn brown,
Lying on the cold bare ground.
Someone came and stepped on me.
That is why I'm cracked you see.
I'm a nut! I'm a nut! I'm a nut! ...
-Childhood song
PeterCattaneo

Post by PeterCattaneo »

I would like to know more about this too. I'm 36 and was diagnosed 2 years go. I'm pretty healthy, but scared we won't be allowed to adopt or will have a very hard time doing so.

Peter
Azile
Getting to Know You...

Post by Azile »

I talked with an adoption agency about the process including how they handle people with MS. The social worker I talked to said that she has some clients with MS and it's usually not a problem. However, since it is an open adoption facility, it is really up to the birth mother on who she gives her child to. It hasn't been a problem in the past. The main thing is how impressed she is with the parents she meets. Talk about pressure! But, I'm happy that MS isn't a problem for the agency. Unfortunately it would be up to the adoptive parents to impress the birth mother enough that can overlook the disease. In most cases, from what the social worker told me, it's not a problem. They see a healthy couple and they just want to know that their baby will be taken care of.
I'm a little acorn brown,
Lying on the cold bare ground.
Someone came and stepped on me.
That is why I'm cracked you see.
I'm a nut! I'm a nut! I'm a nut! ...
-Childhood song
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi
I'm off to an adoption meeting tomorrow, I'm really hoping having MS won't hold me back from DH and I adopting. I've been told it "probably will", but I feel it's worth a try anyway.
Fingers crossed for me!
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Fingers crossed here WW!

Make sure they realize that MS doesn't demyelinate the love axons!

Bob
connieb
Family Member

Post by connieb »

Good luck and please keep us posted-- I'm very interested in this issue as well!
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haha Bob, love the love axons remark!!

I dunno though, at the meeting conditions of application were that you use a couple with children (no family allowed) as referees for the adoption. DH and I know NONE. Not one single friend of ours has children yet. It's frustrating. Not sure how it's going to go. We are going to apply anyway to see, but I'm not so hopeful. The social worker said MS would not automatically disqualify me, it depends on coping/progression/circumstances.....so that sounded not so bad.
bhrungo

Post by bhrungo »

well, whatever happened to the original poster? Did they ever adopt? I am very curious as we are also looking to adopt now. Just filled out our pre-application and waiting on doctors to send in their letters...etc...etc...

Return to “General Discussion”