Interferons: stimulant or suppressant?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Punchy
Family Elder

Interferons: stimulant or suppressant?

Post by Punchy »

I had the unpleasure of going to a walk-in clinic a few days ago and ended up in a ridiculous argument with the Dr. as to whether interferons are an immune suppressant or stimulant.

I know there's some debate around it, but my neuro, my nurse and Serono have told me Rebif can make one susceptible to infections.

Anyway, I couldn't adequately explain to the doc why interferons are a suppressant in MS patients but not in cancer patients, for example.

I've tried doing my own research but end up cross-eyed and confused.
Would anyone be willing to give me an "Interferons for Dummies" summary? :oops:
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Interferons: stimulant or suppressant?

Post by NHE »

Punchy wrote:Anyway, I couldn't adequately explain to the doc why interferons are a suppressant in MS patients but not in cancer patients, for example.
If I remember correctly, it is interferon-alpha which is used to treat some cancers (along with hepatitis C) as opposed to interferon-beta which is used with MS patients. The two interferons have different physiological effects. In addition, there is a third type of interferon which is known as interferon-gamma. It is known to stimulate the immune system and in a small early trial was found to make MS patients worse. In conversations with my neurologist, interferon-beta was referred to as causing a Th1 to Th2 shift in the immune system (and this is also how it is discussed in the published literature, e.g., this article and others). Anyways, I hope that this information helps to put the different interferons into perspective.

NHE
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Thanks guys!

Bob, I had read here and there that interferons are used to boost cancer patients' immune systems, and the Dr. used this in his argument that they are stimulants.

NHE, that definitely clarifies the issue (I think). Interesting that the doc didn't mention at any point in our discussion that there are different types of interferons.

Of course, the dude also told me to take Tylenol for my fever.

So... what does downregulate mean? Suppress?

How are you guys able to absorb all this medical jargon? Were you science nerds to begin with or is this something us MS'ers forced to evolve into? I'm an English major for God's sake!
kebsa
Getting to Know You...

Post by kebsa »

i am on betaferon and have just had a major flare, the 3rd flare this year. My neuro;ogist made the comment that i need a repeat MRI to see if i am still acumulating new lesions as he thinks that i am not getting enough immunosuppresion from the betaferon based on the number of flares i have had- so to me it seems quite clear that the interferons used for MS are intended as immuno suppressants. Having said that, our immune systems are supposed to be hyper active against us, so the idea is to dampen things back to normal
Sandrine
Family Member

Post by Sandrine »

A doctor from Serono told me that interferon beta should not be immunosuppressant, only that mentioned shift from Th1 to Th2 by influencing the cytokines. But in some cases it is, these people have reduced leukocyte number.

By the way, interferon alpha and interferon beta are type-I-interferons both, using the same receptor on the cell surface etc. One of my collegues working on type I interferons said she could imagine the only reason WE have to inject interferon beta and not alpha is money (for the pharma companies). Interferon beta, not only alpha, was also used for severe virus infections in the past, as far as I know.
I know there's some debate around it, but my neuro, my nurse and Serono have told me Rebif can make one susceptible to infections.
At least it is antiviral :D I know people claiming they had no cold since they are on IFN beta.

Regards,
Sandrine

P.S. Sorry for my English... :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”