Significant changes in MS brain blood flow

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Significant changes in MS brain blood flow

Post by TwistedHelix »

From time to time, the idea of MS being a vascular disease crops up, and this study appears to show a significant correlation between blood flow, lesions and disability:

Intracranial venous haemodynamics in multiple sclerosis.
Zamboni P, Menegatti E, Bartolomei I, Galeotti R, Malagoni AM, Tacconi G, Salvi F.

Vascular Diseases Center, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy. zmp@unife.it.

In multiple sclerosis (MS) plaques are known to be venocentric; in addition, MS lesions and peripheral venous disorders share a number of key features. To date, however, despite the anatomical relationship between MS lesions and the venous system, no information on the intracranial venous haemodynamics of MS is available. Eighty-nine consecutive MS patients (58 relapsing-remitting, 31 secondary progressive) matched with 60 controls underwent transcranial color-coded duplex sonography (TCCS). We assessed, in supine as well as in sitting positions, the direction of flow at the activation of the thoracic pump in the deep middle cerebral veins (dMCVs), and in the transverse sinus (TS). In the dMCVs, we also measured peak systolic velocity (PSV), peak diastolic velocity (PDV), as well as the resistance index (RI). Reflux/bidirectional flow rate was significantly higher in the MS population determining also significant differences in PDV, characterized by negative values (16.2+/-1 cm/sec in controls vs. -1.3 +/-2.6 cm/sec in MS, respectively, p<0.0001). Consequently, RI was dramatically increased in the MS group, affecting impedance of cerebral venous drainage (0.48+/-0.04 in controls vs. 1.1 +/-0.08 in MS, respectively p<0.0001). Therefore, the detection of reflux directed toward the subcortical grey matter was significantly associated to highest disability scores (p < 0.0001). Our study of MS patients demonstrated significant haemodynamic alterations detected in veins anatomically related to plaque disposition. Our findings should contribute towards understanding the role of altered venous flow and tissue drainage in the MS inflammatory chain, as well as in the neurodegenerative process.

PMID: 18045150 [PubMed - in process]
Dom
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Dom,

Great find. This makes sense. I wonder what they will do with this data?

Brock
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Significant changes in MS brain blood flow

Post by CureOrBust »

PubMed wrote:Eighty-nine consecutive MS patients (58 relapsing-remitting, 31 secondary progressive) matched with 60 controls underwent transcranial color-coded duplex sonography (TCCS).
I would of liked to see some CIS or very early MS people in the study to possibly help identify if it is a cause or an effect of MS.
MattB
Family Elder

Re: Significant changes in MS brain blood flow

Post by MattB »

CureOrBust wrote:
PubMed wrote:Eighty-nine consecutive MS patients (58 relapsing-remitting, 31 secondary progressive) matched with 60 controls underwent transcranial color-coded duplex sonography (TCCS).
I would of liked to see some CIS or very early MS people in the study to possibly help identify if it is a cause or an effect of MS.
That would make it a lot more useful I think.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Definitely: whether it's the cause or effect of MS is a major question. I hope that this discovery of altered blood flow will prompt somebody to ask it,
Dom
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

The reason why blood pressure within the MS brain is so high MAY be because the endothelin 1 levels are so high and this protein/signaler causes vasoconstriction. Endothelin 1 levels are some 225% higher in MS patients than in controls. Now if you can reduce the endothelin 1, perhaps with a little light salvia seasoning, then the pressure and strains on the vasculature may be significantly ameliorated....
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

… Sort of takes us all the way back to the, " MS as a vascular disease", and, " MS and headaches", threads. It can't just be us who can see these patterns emerging, can it?

By the way, does anyone else keep reading, "salvia", as, "saliva"?
Dom
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

how about "batman returns" - i always used to see "batman reruns" :S

i would like to refer this gang to the hypercoagulation thread

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-6192.html