An Eye Question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MattB
Family Elder

An Eye Question

Post by MattB »

Alright, I think I'm at the point where my ON eye is not getting any better. My question would be will the bad vision in my left eye cause my right eye to strain itself? Should I see an ophthalmologist to get glasses or something?

Not only am I knew to my MS but also to vision problems, it used to be perfect and I've never had problems before this.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi matt sorry to hear it's getting more problematic.

being me, i just googled optic neuritis and nutritional deficiency. well, well, well, look who the culprit is: our old friend B12

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec20/ch235/ch235d.html

i wonder if this is applicable in your case, matt. have you had your b12 level tested? if so, do you know the number that came back?
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Sorry to hear about your ON. I too had 20/20 or better vision my whole life until my first MS symptom, ON. It took almost one full year for me to get to about 90% normal for that eye. Two years later I got ON in other eye, but I knew what it was and got roids right away. It did not ever get as bad as the first, but it also did not abate like the other, so now I have about 90% normal in left eye and 75% or worse in left eye. Glasses really will not help cause it is the nerve and not the shape of the eye. I have found that tinted glasses help me with light sensitivity though. Maybe your case is different, but my opthamologist just said it was just a nuisance that I would have to deal with (your screwed I heard) 8O . The supplementation of B12 was suggested here on this site (Jimmylegs I believe) It did seem to help a bit and I continue with B12 & B complex daily.

Good luck with it. ON SUX!
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Don't know if this will help in your situation but I had my opthamologist put prisms in glasses (uncorrected) and that really helps me when my eyes are tired and my vision goes goofy. Especially helpful at nght and when I am driving and my vision changes. Just a thought!
Lori
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

I don't know if I can be much help... I've had ON in my R eye since April, and I do get pain in my L eye too sometimes. I don't think that it has made my vision any worse in my L eye, but if you're concerned get it checked out.

Like Grumpster I wear shades to help with light sensitivity.
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

Grumpster, it would really scare me to get ON in my other eye. I've never been one to go to the doctor and once in a while me good eye hurts but it goes away and my vision has remained the same in both eyes.
EyeDoc
Family Elder

Post by EyeDoc »

As an optometrist that has had ON in both eyes now (silly MS), my advice is just to make sure you get your eyes checked regularly whether you feel you are having problems or not. If you are having symptoms (pain, blurred vision), absolutely make sure you are seen. Early intervention with IV steroids is critical to lessening the severity and course of ON.

One of the previous posters was right....unless you have a refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness) glasses will not help you. Don't worry about the "good" eye. Having one eye affected will not strain the other eye and cause it to go bad.

Last point: Sunglasses will help you with light sensitivity while you are in the acute phase of ON. Get a good pair that blocks 100% UV.

If you have any other specific questions about ON I will be happy to try and answer them for you.