Green Tea Boosts ABX Effectiveness

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Frank
Family Elder

Green Tea Boosts ABX Effectiveness

Post by Frank »

Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Rudi
Getting to Know You...

Post by Rudi »

Fascinating, I always have a cup of Japanese Maccha tea in the morning!
1st traceable symptoms July 2006 - realized I had MS November 2006
CAP since 27/04/2007. Various supplements and dietary modifications.
Male 27 UK
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

I must say, I'm not fond of green tea, but I could just consider it part of the regimen and down a cup for the cause... :wink:
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

caps

Post by notasperfectasyou »

like the rest of our life, this is available as a pill at the supplement store.

I recall, without details, something about green tea being a bad idea for MS patients. I don't remember where I read this. Might have been here at TIMS. I need to check. Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
wiggy
Family Elder

Post by wiggy »

Ken,
I remember over the years hearing "stay away from anything that would strengthen the immune system" - the idea was keeping immune system poor so it wasn't strong enough to attack you anymore.
My sister a nutritionist told me this year she wanted me drinking 4 cups of green tea a day. I thought to myself, I am never going to be able to do this - but I try and it does help - it isn't tastey - but I just started adding a lot of lemon and that helps!
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Wiggy, You know, I recall reading similar stuff about no antioxidants when I started researching MS in August 2005. I thought it was nonsense then, and still do, obviously. Reading the Wheldon paper, heavy on antioxidants, I saw logic.

Now for my green tea confession. At the beginning of all this, I could eat almost nothing. The prednisone had me hyperactive and unable to eat anything except a particular salad available at one of our local chain restaurants. It has chicken and a honey mustard dressing and must containg something my body craved (I ate 1/3 of a salad each day and did this for about a month). That, and maybe half a banana.

Green tea was wonderful then. I drank it daily, as it was recommended for wellness. I'd add honey or not, and that was about it. Once I got on abx, I couldn't tolerate the taste. Haven't been able to the whole thirty months since. I suppose I should give it another shot, to be fair.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
elaine
Family Member

Post by elaine »

so green tea dosn't have a bitter taste you should boil fresh water and let kettle sit for a few minutes before pouring into your cup, let tea bag sit for 3 mins before removing.
enjoy elaine
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Green Tea Boosts ABX Effectiveness

Post by NHE »

MacKintosh wrote:You know, I recall reading similar stuff about no antioxidants when I started researching MS in August 2005. I thought it was nonsense then, and still do, obviously. Reading the Wheldon paper, heavy on antioxidants, I saw logic.
In a couple of prior posts I discuss that not all antioxidants are created equally. Some can provide an anti-inflammatory effect while others can be proinflammatory.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Green tEa Boosts ABX Effectiveness

Post by NHE »

Here are some links to some other good discussions about green tea which discuss EGCG's ability to inhibit matrix metalloproteases. NHE
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Thanks, Elaine!
wiggy
Family Elder

Post by wiggy »

Mack,
I think back on that "weakened immune system strategy" and feel so much better now my immune system is actually stronger and working.

You must have lost a lot of weight that month of 1/3 of a salad and a banana. That salad sounds good but you must have gotten tired of it.

I have found different types of green tea have better flavor. I have tried several.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Ten pounds in ten days. Fourteen pounds overall, before a friend forced me to eat chicken and rice one day. My neuro asked if I was 'eating everything, including cardboard' since he was certain steroids would make me ravenous. Quite the opposite.

Come to think of it, since he was so condescending about antibiotics, I should have known he'd be 'backward thinking' on other stuff, too. :wink:

Yes, I grew tired of the salad and couldn't touch it for about a year. I've only recently eaten it on occasion and find it doesn't have the same draw it used to have. I must have needed something it contained - mustardy dressing, little pasta bits, chicken (though I rarely ate the chicken)... Who knows?

Return to “Antibiotics”