lets move South

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey cool map bob.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Yeah, Lars and all-
I was responding to how Lars FELT on this trip...rather than a causal relationship to MS based on location. I agree, altitude has nothing to do with getting MS. My theory is that everyone's MS is different, and everybody needs to do a personal search for what makes them feel better. Lars is on to something for himself.

You felt more energy, less symptoms. How can you bring those feelings back home?
Maybe vascular issues are part of your MS. If so, finding ways to get more oxygen into your bloodstream could really help you.

Also, you were in NEW surroundings....and your brain was taking in all foreign information. Nothing was routine. That stimulates those neural highways. Maybe you need to add some spice to your life back home? New hobbies, adventures? Check with the wife first :)

Not sure about the beer...maybe there was a different type of hops or grain in Belize beer? Maybe you can get some shipped to home?

Or maybe you just need to keep traveling, feeling alive, seeing the world. I know that's a big one for my hubby. He travels all over, and always gets energy and inspiration from different cultures.

so glad you had a good trip!
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i agree the oxygenation would be pretty key. i'm sure there are many combined factors but that oxygen idea looks very logical to me!

reminds me of this whole chronic inflammation anemia that terry and i were recently discussing. where your oxygen transport mechanisms get messed up because your body is hiding more iron away from the world, due to inflammation signals coming from the liver. usually in response to infection, but in long term inflammation scenarios the liver broadcasts the same infection message regardless. if that were any part of a person's problem, for sure a more oxygen-rich environment could be helping a person make use of whatever amount of iron is allowed out to play.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Bob,
Agreed on the cool map, thanks. Did anyone else notice the high rates in the Mountain states compared to comparable latitudes in the East?

Cheerleader,
Very insightful, thanks.
Lars
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Bob,
I have been accused of not being representative of evolutionary normalcy.
Lars
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

OK, my son's doing his homework before we go out...so I have a couple more minutes online....to research BEER!!!

Belikin Beer
http://www.belizegifts.com/bevs.htm

The only beer sold in Belize....
"Brewmaster Peter Haupental had previously brewed in Bolivia, a few location in Germany, and most recently at Whistler Mountain in British Columbia, Canada. My tour began at the receiving dock where the raw materials first arrive, most are foreign to this land. The hops come from Washington state in the U.S. and only Fuggles are used. The form of the hops was interesting, 200 gallon containers of liquid hop extract. The yeast is a German lager strain and reused for at most five batches. The Canadian 6-row barley arrives not by train but by small trucks. Deliveries are scheduled well in advance since two dozen temporary laborers are required to unload the specially sacked grain and carry it up to the top of the six meter high mill. No augers or elevators in use here. Local water is used and no treatment is required."
http://realbeer.com/nmvbp/rev_belz.htm

enjoy,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

got it bob, thanks!
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Cheerleader,
You took the amazing research abilities of those on this site to a new level. Although, on this trip I did drink more beer than usual and after your stellar research would it be to late to say I was only kidding? From a beer perspective, good work!
P.S. Although I was close to Belize, we were actually on the Southern end of the Yucatan. Dos Equis amber (the lager sucks) and Negra Modelo. Sorry, I should have clarified my beer of preference before.
Thanks and drink responsibly,
Lars
Chris55
Family Elder

Post by Chris55 »

My daughter--diagnosed about 5 years ago--has spent her entire life in the deep south! Didn't help her at all and th heat/humidity almost killed her. One of her neurologists said he felt the reason there were so few MS diagnoses in the south was mainly due to "poor" competency amongst our docs.
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Chris55 wrote: One of her neurologists said he felt the reason there were so few MS diagnoses in the south was mainly due to "poor" competency amongst our docs.
Totally agree with this statement. All one has to do is to look at some of the ridiculous things that some of our forum members have been told by their neurologists to see that many are clueless and should have never been licensed.

gwa
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Lars
I am one who did exactly what you are suggesting. Lived in Ohio all of my life, was diagnosed with MS 6 years ago. After vacationing in Florida (twice just to be sure) I knew that I felt better here. So we took the plunge and moved 5 years ago and have never regretted it! I still have MS but am doing well. I attribute a large part of it to sunshine and vitamin D! Just my opinion but it works for me! Sometimes you just have to go with what your gut tells you!
Lori
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Loriyas,
Thanks, I've been waiting for someone to confirm that I am not crazy. We are putting our mind to how this can work. Tovaxin trial, kids in school for 2 more year, etc. After that I'm heading South. In the meantime, a lot more trips.
Lars

Return to “General Discussion”