In your own words, describe a "Relapse"

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
tt89
Family Member

In your own words, describe a "Relapse"

Post by tt89 »

Thanks in advance to everyone that reponds here.

Trying to get a better understanding of how to tell if you have a relapse or flare up and what is the difference in your opinion.

Thank you so much.... :wink:
VodooDoll
Family Member

Post by VodooDoll »

tt89

Keep in mind that each person's reaction to MS is unique. Not everyone's relapes or flares will act in a certian way.

Relapes, exacerbations or flare ups are when you have a worsening of existing symptoms and/or the appearence of new symptoms that don't resolve by themselves.

What works best for me is the wait and see game.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

hey tt89-
My husband had one monster exacerbation...his first "attack" in 2/07. He had pins and needles, trouble walking, bad pain, fatigue and spasms. It took about six weeks before getting diagnosed, since at first he thought it was a pinched nerve. After dx and steroids, he was left with fatigue, pain and spasms, but the pins and needles were gone and he could walk again.

No new MS symptoms since then, but the remaining symptoms are not the same every day. Some days the spasms are bad, some days the pain, and the fatigue is a constant. I don't think this is an "exacerbation" but is just from the damage done during his initial flare.

Some people recover completely after a flare, some are left with damage and continuing symptoms. I think the red flag is a new symptom...that usually signals an exacerbation.

hope this helps-
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
tt89
Family Member

Post by tt89 »

Thanks so much for these explanations...
Im wondering if I'm having a flare up too because I notice new things but I was not sure if its Copaxone related ( switched to Copaxone from Betaseron)....UGH

Im seeing a new Neuro Doc ( Duke) because the group Im in is too big and too many patients and I think Im falling through the cracks...and they told me the first few years of your Dx are critical yet Im pawned off on my PCP and I think they just have to many docs and patients in that clinic. Im the least bothersome patient...if and when I call, its serious..but they just leave me hanging to many times and I truly trusted their words that they'd be there every step of the way....well they were on the first appt, after that....GONE like the wind..

Thanks....
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

tt89 wrote:. Im the least bothersome patient...if and when I call, its serious..but they just leave me hanging to many times and I truly trusted their words that they'd be there every step of the way....well they were on the first appt, after that....GONE like the wind...
You're going to have to become a stronger advocate for yourself, or find someone who will help you. I make the phone calls for my husband, and have become the squeaky wheel for him, since he's nice like you :)
Your health is very important, and it's no time to be the least bothersome.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

I asked many times the same and the most common answer is "new symptoms"!
tt89
Family Member

Post by tt89 »

Thank you to all the wonderful people that take the time to reply to my postings...
I wish you all a peaceful weekend.
Sincerely
T :D
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

I too have been told "new symptoms".

But, when I went back to neuro on the 11th for my checkup after starting Rebif and everything was out of whack, he put me on steroids which I assume was because I was having an exacerbation or relapse.

It's so hard for me to separate daily MS problems and new problems. I think if something new happens to me then it must be related to something old so I overlook the problem. I it so confusing for me.

I think stress brings mine on.

CF
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.