Move to London from US

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
soup

Move to London from US

Post by soup »

I have the opportunity to relocate as an expat to London for 2 years. I am currently taking avonex here in the US and want to make sure that should I accept the offer to relocate that avonex will be available and affordable within the UK when I am not a citizen of the country.

Any information regarding the cost and availability of avonex for expats in London would be greatly appreciated. My international health insurance would be under BUPA.
Bewitched
Family Member

Post by Bewitched »

Are you a US Citizen?
soup

Post by soup »

Yes. US Citizen.
Bewitched
Family Member

Post by Bewitched »

Speak to someone at Biogen and explain to them your plans. They will be able to help you since they know what the rules and regulations and requirements are for having their product abroad. They can also work with your insurance company and your doctor in setting you up for your treatment while you're in Europe.
soup

Post by soup »

Thanks passing along a good suggestion. I did end up contacting the Biogen UK office and all they could tell me is that it is available and it just depends whether or not the NHS will cover me or not. They said it was a 50/50 chance. When I inquired deeper into what it would cost me to get avonex over there, there wasn't much information given other than "it depends."

So with that - has anyone had experience with receiving avonex in the UK...cost? NHS? availability to expats?

Thanks.
yiasza

Re:

Post by yiasza »

soup wrote:Thanks passing along a good suggestion. I did end up contacting the Biogen UK office and all they could tell me is that it is available and it just depends whether or not the NHS will cover me or not. They said it was a 50/50 chance. When I inquired deeper into what it would cost me to get avonex over there, there wasn't much information given other than "it depends."

So with that - has anyone had experience with receiving avonex in the UK...cost? NHS? availability to expats?

Thanks.

I receive Avonex on the NHS, prescribed to me by my neurologist here. I don't pay anything for the medication and it's delivered to my house every 12 weeks. Not sure what it would be like for an expat but I assume if you qualify for NHS treatment then you should be able to receive the medication here as well?

Return to “Avonex”