prednisone

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Also check out air2.com. I'm not sure if the website is still under that name, but you can google "Vapir". It's a vaporizer that just heats the MJ just enough to release the goodies and not make it smoke. It's just cigs in that regard. You are smoking burning plant matter and end up with like, I know this seems absurd, 200+ different chemicals that you DON'T NEED AT ALL to get the effects. I bought a cheap ass one with a glass globe at a shop and it broke and I don't think it worked right the few times I used it. The Vapirs cost about $300 USD and they got great reviews in high times. There was about a ten minute video on the site the last time I was on there checking prices, but that's been a couple of years. I need to get around to getting one of those. MJ has a milder narcotic effect than alcohol. You don't get a hangover and in the long run, for the effect it has, it's much cheaper than alcohol. I don't know about the rest of you, but my vertigo goes batty with very little alcohol, while MJ completely eliminates it temporarily.
MattB
Family Elder

Post by MattB »

HarryZ wrote: Matt....this is yet another false bit of information that some medical people try and scare MS patients with. According to the pain clinic neuro that I have spoken to in a number of occasions, MJ is simply another "drug" like any drug. People react differently to the same medication and such is the case with patients who use MJ. Would you go out and use Neurontin or Lyrica, both strong neuro pain medications without the supervision of a doctor? Of course not and when using MJ, exactly the same situation should exist. That is why this neuro was running the open label clinical trial on MJ so he could learn first hand what the side effects were with various patients and compare them to what the conventional drugs did .

The one big concern by some was thinking they had to "smoke" the MJ to use it. Simply not so.....patients can consume the drug either in tea or mixing it with other foods. It takes longer for the drug to have its effect this way but the benefit obtained is the same.
Harry
Alright. That's why I tried to phrase it as a question haha I don't need it at this point and I don't use it recreationally either it was just something I'd read and wondered if it were true or not. Now that I look into it a bit more while typing this out now I'm seeing that some people think it could actually slow the progression of MS. What do you think about that?

Also, I wasn't aware that you could get the same effects from having it as tea and/or in your foods. Although slower it sounds like the better option if I'd ever need to use MJ, smoke of any kind has always made me sort of nauseous and sometimes gives me a headache.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

now I'm seeing that some people think it could actually slow the progression of MS. What do you think about that?
I have read some reports about that but I don't think there has been anywhere near the amount of research done on it to substantiate the claims.
Also, I wasn't aware that you could get the same effects from having it as tea and/or in your foods. Although slower it sounds like the better option if I'd ever need to use MJ, smoke of any kind has always made me sort of nauseous and sometimes gives me a headache.
I wasn't aware of that option either until the neuro told me about it. Most people don't like to smoke so the ability to ingest the MJ certainly gives a viable alternative.

Harry
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

robbie wrote:got 60mg a day for 7 days and then a slow tappering off
I would check for yourself on everything I am about to type.

I have read somewhere the max / therapeutic dose was calculated at 1mg / Kg body mass / day (about 75mg / day for me, in a single dose / day).

Also, I checked with 2 docs, and they said if I take it at this dose, I do not have to taper if I keep the pulse to less than 7 days (or was it five... 2 days is all I actually do now). This works for me because I don't really notice effects at the lower dose (ie the dose over the taper).
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

prednisone is not working yet but this cures my double vision 100%Image
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

robbie,

Are you saying that MJ cures your double vision?

gwa
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Lyon wrote:
gwa wrote:robbie,

Are you saying that MJ cures your double vision?

gwa
Hi gwa,
I think he's referring to the eye patch.
Bob
OK. I missed anything about an eye patch. That sounds like an easy "cure" for double vision.

gwa
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

very easy cure gwa, not very comfortable but better than 2 of everything or keeping your head turned to the side all the time.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

antifreeze

Post by antifreeze »

I dig the hat and stogie too. I should have included those when I tried to secretly wear a patch at work. I do image analysis and didn't think my bosses would be thrilled if they knew their image analyst was seeing double.
You cannot make a crab walk straight - aristophanes
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Too bad you couldn't get into more of a long term situation like Cure.
will try bob, over the last few days i have felt better than normal.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Obviously dressing as a pirate is what's working here. You should go the pirate hat for more benefit. I mean, when was the last time you heard of a pirate with ms?

My doctors have NOT put me on this treatment. I placed myself on a regular pulsed high dose steroid treatment based on the articles published. Prednisone is what I keep on hand for a relapse (I don't get IV Steroids). My GP wasn't concerned, as he saw the two days a month or so as a "drop in the bucket".

In the past, I have been put on Fosamax (I have also been on Rocaltrol, an "activated" vit D3), when I was found to have lowered bone density. But that was back when I "had" CIDP, where the treatment is constant prednisone. On my last test, my bone density was back in a healthy range. And now I take a lot of Vitamin D3 and magnesium.

The only side effects I notice on the short term high dose, is that it's a little harder to sleep, but I take the single dose in the morning to counter or minimise this. And maybe a tiny tiny bit of "euphoria", or it could simply be that I feel slightly better while I am on it, which is bound to lift my mood.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.