Both me and my x-husband have MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
smile

Both me and my x-husband have MS

Post by smile »

I've looked at this site before, but just decided tonight to sign up. My former husband and I have both been diagnosed with MS. He, ten years before me. I haven't seen any posts on here about that.

We have a daughter, so of course I'm more concerned now about her risk.

Does anyone know more couples like this? My story is long, but if you want to read about it, just let me know. 8O
Find the real cause(s), then the cure will come.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Couples with MS

Post by NHE »

smile wrote:Does anyone know more couples like this?
Welcome to the forums here at ThisIsMS. To answer your question, I personally know of only one husband and wife couple that are both diagnosed with MS (though I'm sure that there are probably many). In this case, the husband was diagnosed first and, if I remember correctly, the wife was diagnosed approximately 6 years or so later.

It makes me wonder if any research has been done with such couples to look for a potential common or contagious agent. Indeed, it seems like such an obvious question, I'm surprised we haven't heard of it more.

NHE
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I think those that believe its an infectious agent, for the most part believe it is a common pathogen in our modern society. ie everyone is generally exposed to it. Hence the Faroe Islands are so interesting as a recorded case where the infectious agent may of been introduced to a pathogen naive society.

As for the relevance to other causes (eg genetics or environment etc etc), they would most likely find twin studies more interesting, and a LOT easier to find.

Even using statistics, it would have to occur, but rarely, as it would appear to be the case? I must admit, I didn't check for it.

And welcome smile. Regarding your daughter, I can see your concern. Not that there is a guarantee or anything, but I would be strongly looking into things that are thought to reduce the incidence of MS such as Vit D3, and have her uric acid levels checked (as well as D3), and take steps to ensure its in the higher ranges. I am sure others will remember more.
smile

Post by smile »

Thanks for the responses. I know you didn't ask, and I want you to know this story has nothing to do with anything other than my journey to connect the dots that led up to a diagnosis.

I've wriiten a lot here and hope you don't get turned off by my opinions...

After much research, I still look for the connections that me and my husband had that may have a basis in the different hypothesis regarding what contributes to the trigger for MS.

I have no other agenda in this post, other than that. I''ll post again, but it won't have to be focused on this at all. Here's the story.

Other than the marriage, the only other thing that my husband and I had in common was exposure to toxic substances. My exposure just came ten years later and in a different place.

The short story is that my husband was in the military and served during the Gulf War and in Somalia. This was before they labeled "Gulf War Syndrome". He started having symptoms shortly after he returned. Was diagnosed within 9 months. Me, I had always believed it was connected to his military service.

When I was diagnosed (10 yrs later), a coworker of mine was also diagnosed with MS within less than a month. No connection there other than work. I thought "What the heck?!!" Then I learned that the worksite we had just moved from had actually been remediated over this 10years of us being there (dug up/"cleaned up" after 200 yrs of industrial use). Leather Tanneries, Chemical Companies, Production of materials for the Dept. of Defense, etc...the list goes on and on. Worksite of about 60 pple didn't know this was what all the redevelopment along the river was about.

When I looked at the details of the health effects of these toxins (there were too many toxins to count), they matched my symptoms to the "t". Through my neuro doc, I got some tests done, and completed a hair sample test from a private company on my own. They found Lead, Arsenic, Antimony and Mercury. Though findings were not ALL at "out of range" levels, the belief I have is that over ten years, even low level exposure to multiple toxins could have been what triggered the MS, plus the body naturally tries to get rid of this stuff over time and once you've been removed from the exposure the numbers diminish. The tests I had done were only limited to what I knew of at that time, but there was much more that I would have been exposed to and not tested for. At the same time other people were being diagnosed with other things such as cancer, unexplained lesions, suedo tumors, and many other health problems. So it wasn't just about MS.

Today, my "x" is in a wheelchair and lives with his family in another state. I moved from where I was living and working, started Tysabri about 6 months ago and am doing very well with it. The only big issue I have right now is fatigue. Very common, I know. It's been 3 years.

What pains me is that every time I've gone in for the infusions, I'm surrounded by at least two or three people in military uniforms, also struggling with MS.

Again, thanks for responding to my post. I will visit this site regularly and look forward to sharing/finding information (other than just about my personal story) with other members on this site.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Dear smile...
Thanks for posting your story. No apologies necessary...we all appreciate learning from each other, and this is the place to share your thoughts. I'm sorry for your situation, especially concerning your daughter's future health. Cure's right about vitamin D supplementation.

Gulf War syndrome was just recognized as an official diagnosis (finally!) by our government. There are also studies being funded by Congress linking Gulf War syndrome and MS. Here's a link to a recent discussion on that-
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-6228-congress.html

My personal take on all this is that the toxins, stress and the additional vaccinations our vets are exposed to create a great strain on the cerebral endothelium, and the blood vessel lining breaks down, allowing for a breech in the blood brain barrier. There are a host of things which do this, and your toxic exposure certainly could have done the same. (lead, arsenic and mercury all damage the endothelium) I have a regimen for healing the endothelium on the regimens page. There's alot of info on this site and I hope you find it helpful.

Keep smiling,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Welcome, Smile

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome, Smile; you fit in here PERFECTLY! You will discover from our posts that most of us have our own suspicions about this awful disease. In general, we feel free to share those ideas and information that others may find interesting, too, without being belittled.

I enjoy reading your thoughts and experiences. Someone will put the puzzle pieces together one day--why shouldn't that person be YOU?

By the way, in the past at this website there have been postings and discussion of the connection between increased MS prevalence and miltary veterans.

Since I believe diet (high in carbohydrates) and insulin are involved in MS, I suspect those Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs) provide too many carbs, starches and sugars. See, we can all have an opinion on almost any topic.

See http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-3884.html
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Welcome, Smile

Post by lyndacarol »

lyndacarol wrote:...

By the way, in the past at this website there have been postings and discussion of the connection between increased MS prevalence and miltary veterans.

Since I believe diet (high in carbohydrates) and insulin are involved in MS, I suspect those Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs) provide too many carbs, starches and sugars. See, we can all have an opinion on almost any topic.

See http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-3884.html
I feel the need to resurrect these discussions about the increased MS prevalence among military veterans who served in the Gulf War and now Afghanistan AND the Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs).

There was a discussion on TV just this morning about the fact that people at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan, starting tomorrow, would be receiving an MRE for one meal a day (breakfast). Then, Geraldo Rivera remarked that the military had packed LOTS of carbohydrates into the MRE's so that the soldier in the field would have the strength to carry his heavy pack.

BINGO! I think the connection is there.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
want2bike
Family Elder

Re: Both me and my x-husband have MS

Post by want2bike »

The body can detoxify if you give it the vitamins and minerals it needs. These vitamins and minerals are in the food we eat if the food is natural. The process foods are void of vitamins and minerals. You can get better if you get on a good diet which give the body what it needs to repair itself. When some find the correct diet they get out of their wheel chair and walk again. Keep your daughter in a good environment and she does not have to get MS. Here is an article by Dr. Blaylock explaining the problem. If you do not want to mess up your immune system stay away from vaccines.

http://rense.com/general67/vacc.htm

http://www.direct-ms.org/rogermcdougall.html

Return to “Introductions”