PART OF MY STRESS IS DUE TO FEAR OF INJECTIONS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
71jules
Family Elder

PART OF MY STRESS IS DUE TO FEAR OF INJECTIONS

Post by 71jules »

Hi again

I know I am not diagnosed as yet but in this stage showing a lot of symptoms and GP sus of it.

I am extremely :cry: over the top needle phobic and fear that the only choice for treatments may mean injections.
Please I hope this is not the case and I can be relieved from stress a bit knowing there may be other options if or when I am diagnosed.

I am so so sorry for the once again morbid post but I know that most of you would have gone through similar thoughts as what I am.

I once again thank you all for your efforts and time you are taking to help out another in need.

Hugs
71jules
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Diet

Post by lyndacarol »

Jules--Not everyone uses the injectible drugs. Many find diet is effective alone, or helpful in combination with other treatment. Read Swank, or The Gold Coast Cure by Larson.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I would say, first off, you are getting way ahead of yourself. You aren't diagnosed with MS. While it might help to plan for bad news (and I'm an eternal pessimist, so that's what I do), you need to give yourself a break.

In regard to the MS medication. True, the standard, fist-line FDA approved medicines that are commonly prescribed right now are all injectables. And if you reach a diagnosis of MS (and I would say you are long way from that point), you can discuss with your neuro which treatment is appropriate. Some people do fine with no medication. I can tell you from experience that the injectables are pretty much painless. Sometimes, my technique is not so good and it hurts a little. And the ones that are done subcutaneous (just under the skin) have auto-injectors available, which makes things easier. Even the one shot that is done in the muscle, Avonex, is painless. (I didn't believe it when the nurse told me this before I did my first shot, but it's true).

Another thing to remember, is that the injectables may soon go by the wayside. There are some pills in development right now, some in phase III, which is the last stage before FDA hearings. (One oral med, Cladribine just finished trials, and may be approved in a year or 2). And that brings up another option for treatment - participating in one of the clinical trials.

So I would say, try to put the MS thing out of your mind for now.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

jules i used to be needle phobic too. BELIEVE ME you can get over it :S :S :S
when i was a kid i had to go for hypnosis to help deal with it, because my dentist didn't want to see me again without something being done.
the 'hypnosis' involved sitting comfortably, eyes closed, breathing deeply, and concentrating on total relaxation, muscle by muscle, descending from the top of my head to my toes.
the doctor would then ask questions, describing a scenario that gradually led up to a needle encounter. such as, "your mother just told you that she is going to book an appointment with the dentist for two months from now. how do you feel? and i would let him know if it was good or bad by lifting a finger on one or the other hand.
whenever i felt bad, he would switch off the needle track and go to the happy place. he had asked me what was the best place in the world where i felt the most comfortable, relaxed, and happy, and i had said a particular beach.
so any time i started to feel stressed about the scenario, we would go to the beach. and then he would back up a few steps and start again with the scenario.
i remember being 8, back in that dentist's chair, doing all my breathing and relaxing, when the technician came in with the mask and gassed me with nitrous. they weren't going to put up with any more crap from me i guess :)
in my 20s i had to try to deep breathe for needles, but i was likely to break down in tears of relief when it was over.
at some point i decided enough was enough with the fears!
i did things like flying and skydiving to get over my issues with heights.
i joined a public speaking group, and took singing lessons and performed in recitals to get over stage fright.
and apparently ms came along to help deal with my needle phobia. the spinal puncture was brutal for one thing, and i had to ask for more numbing in mid-process, because when he started i could feel the needle going into my spine (not hurting, i could just feel movement and pressure and that was too much information thank you very much!) anyway now i'm pretty okay with needles and although i still can't watch while they take blood, and it's by no means fun or anything, i'm so interested in finding out my bloodwork results that i want those rotten pinpricks.

i have to admit that a significant chunk of my decision not to take the usual ms drugs had at least a bit to do with the idea of self injecting for the rest of my life!

future meds or no, in the short term there will likely be a number of tests involving needles while they help you work out the answer to your current problems. maybe it won't even go as far as the lumbar puncture. you've had your 2 young ones - did you have the epidural? i don't imagine it would be much different than that.

at the end of the day, your answer might be something totally other than ms, but while they're figuring it out - where is your happy place?

you may want to inquire if a lumbar puncture is in your near future. if so, there has been some recent discussion on that procedure - see the "where do you begin?" thread by craftiegal

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-50518.html#50518
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

that's good px, that some oral ideas are coming down the pipe too
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Yeah JL, when the neuro at the MS center told me to pick a med, I commented something along the lines of injecting myself for the rest of my life. He replied that in a few years the injectables will probably be history.

By the way, the relaxation method you described sounds a lot like "progressive relaxation," where you tense a muscle and then relax it. With practice, you can learn to relax the muscle without tensing first, pretty much at will. My old cross-country coach used to recommend it.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

jimmylegs wrote:that's good px, that some oral ideas are coming down the pipe too
And some already are ........ :)

Depends on your perspective.
Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

well yes for those of us on abx and supps certainly :)
71jules
Family Elder

Once again thank you

Post by 71jules »

Hi again to you all.

I extend my arms out to you all with a massive hug again.

I will take on board all your comments and advice and keep you all up to date.

I will try taking vitamin B 12 as of this avo if I can get it at the chemist.

71jules
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

glad to hear that you're feeling more positive jules - please don't omit a good b-complex with the b12 - i mentioned b12 b-complex and E because they were the main components, together, of a week that was my biggest turning point.
prior to that all the b12 in the world really wasn't helping enough because it had nothing to work with.
it's not by any stretch guaranteed to help you - i don't know anything about your circumstances except the symptoms and one nitrous exposure, but a few vitamins are nothing but good for you and if you do feel better, that'll be fantastic.
i hope it helps you - do keep us posted, and keep your chin up!
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Jules,

In time the needle thing will be a non-issue. MS or not, the process of elimination of other disease will require many needles sticks. Don't stress over it now.

Bye the way, I dreaded the injectable drugs so bad. I am now on Rebif and while I don't like having to do the injections, they are tolorable. I can't spell.

CF
71jules
Family Elder

Thank you

Post by 71jules »

Thank you cat freak and I am curious do you love cats, as I do?
We have a male Ragdoll and two persians, one black girl and one white boy. We also have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and an Indian Ringneck bird that talks and talks and talks.

Hugs
jules
jazzcat
Family Member

thoughts on MS treatment and injections

Post by jazzcat »

Hi jules,

I understand about not yet having the diagnosis and thinking ahead to an injectible treatment.

I am someone who never thought I could give myself injections. In 2003 I decided to go on Rebif after dx. I now inject myself 3 times a week. I do not suffer from the side effects that are described in the literature about the medication. Other than occasional redness or small bruises around the injected area.

I learned to do it and have done it regularly for over 5 years. I have learned a few tricks. If you are interested because you come to the point where you are getting ready to start a CRAB, especially Rebif, and you feel like checking in about thse tricks, let me know.

Also, for some of us, the Swank diet approach (web search for Swank MS Foundation for more info) is the preferred approach for many, particulary those who are early in their disease course and mildly affected. Many people go at it diet alone with good results. On that site there is also a forum. If you see a jazzcat there, BTW, it's me.

Please weigh the pros and cons of the CRABS. And, again, feel free to ask me anything about my experience on Rebif.

May you have good outcomes!
jazzcat
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Hey Jules,

I am a cat lover. I have 3 babies. Amber a little gray kitty, 6 months old, she looks like a Chartreux, TeeJay is my 11 year old 20 lb black and gray male Tabby and Pepper my beautiful 6 year old black and gray Maine Coon who weighs in at about 25 lbs.

Pepper, the Maine Coon, has been missing for 2 weeks. I think somebody picked him up and took him off. We have been very sad at my house. My husband is just lost without Pep. They are best buddies. I think I just try not to think about it. I'm just not ready to give up yet.

I don't have a dog but one of my son's has a Maltipoo, Solomon. he is a sweet baby. I kept him for 2 weeks at Christmas so they could go see his wife's Mom and Dad.

My other son has 3 cats. He is the male catfreak. Titan, Deliah and Boosh.

It's nice to have another cat lover on board! Hang in there until you get an official Dx and pray it's not MS. You can always count on the folks here to give you awesome moral support.

CF
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.