on omega 3 fatty acids / fish oils etc

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Ah, geez, Bob...get all semanticky on me! (I know that's not a word, BTW)
People with MS have found remission from their symptoms and relief. Some call it a cure (not me!)
And I correct myself, it's been 60 years.
Here's the program for those interested. It's good for all the family, works for anyone who would like to lose a few pounds, reduce heart disease risk, etc.
60 years ago Dr. Roy Swank discovered that a low-fat diet, very low in saturated fats and polyunsaturated oils, helps MS patients live healthy and productive lives. Also low in red and other fatty meats, high in grains, fruits and vegetables, it is simple to follow and in many cases alleviates chronic symptoms. Some of his very first patients are still ambulatory and leading independent lives thanks to following Dr. Swank's regimen for the last half-century.
There was a time – say, around the time your great-great-grandparents (give or take a great) were around – when if we ate bread, we knew the person who grew the wheat. We were, after all, an agrarian society. As industrialization overtook the farming lifestyle, the population moved from the country and in many cases became wealthier as city economies boomed. We began to eat more meat and the fat content of our diet increased rapidly. The food industry became industrialized, and heavily processed foods grew to dominate the U.S. food supply. (We sadly note this occurring in China and India today.)

With this rise in fat consumption, ills like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis have also risen to affect more and more of the population.

For the most benefit, the Swank MS Foundation advocates adoption of the diet as soon as possible after MS is diagnosed. Hand-in-hand with the diet are other important ingredients to living a healthy life: adequate rest, reduced stress, and an optimistic, attitude that having MS is above all a call to live life to its best and fullest.
http://swankmsdiet.charityfinders.org/A ... The%20Diet

Best part, It's FREE! No meetings, no clubs, no secret handshakes.
AC

A bit OT, I've mentioned before I treated my son's ADHD diagnosis with omega 3 fatty acid supplements, rather than ritalin, after reading a book about long chain polyunsaturated fats and the brain, The LCP Solution by Dr. Stordy... there is a link between fats and neurology that goes beyond a "healthy lifestyle."
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Here's Dr. Swank's 35 year research from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition-

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/48/6/1387
Multiple sclerosis: the lipid relationship13
Roy L Swank, MD, PhD, andAagot Grimsgaard
ABSTRACT Between 1949 and 1984, 150 multiple sclerosis patients consumed low-fat diets. Fats, oils, and protein intakes; disability; and deaths were determined. On daily fat consumption of < 20. 1 g (average 17 g), 31% died and deterioration was slight. Daily intakes of > 20 g (average ofeither 25 or 41 g) were attended by serious disability and deaths of79% and 8 1%, respectively. Oil intakes bore an indirect relationship to fat consumption. Treatment early and before severe disability developed improved prognosis, and females tended to do better than males. High sensitivity to fats suggests they are involved in the genesis of multiple sclerosis. AmJClinNutr 1988;48:1387-93.

There were no placebos in the trial...and some will be quick to chime in and say it's not enough....however many researchers are proving the link to fats and MS patients. Direct-MS has a whole page of links to clinical peer-reviewed trials (the gold standard!) re: disease and fatty acids.
http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/nutritionfats.html

most folksily yours,
the agrarian Cheerleader

(Bob...I have nothing to "come clean" on. This information is out there, I didn't make it up, I'm not selling a book..I just want folks to have the information I didn't have at the beginning of our journey. I've detected some attitude in your responses to my replies, and I'm not sure if you're just annoyed with me, having a bad day, or trying to provoke a flame...we're off for the weekend. Have a good one!)
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

The Multiple Sclerosis Self Help book by Judy Graham talks about fats in great depth. If you are interested it is a good resource. Eveing primrose oil is her big thing and fat balance rather than severe reduction. She has been good for 30 years too still works!

I think there is something to the fats angle, but know many people who did it for a long time but eventually found themselves progressing anyway. That is very possibly due tot he diffculty of such a very low fat diet, it has to be under 20gm a day to "work", otherwise you get relapse reduction but progression anyway.

Here is a link ot the whole paper by swank with the numbers
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/48/6/1387

BTW, CPn uses fats to make foam cells and plaques in atherosclerosis--plugs that would be, in arteries. Of course no one knows what causes the strictures in Zambonis work, might it be cpn and fats?
here it is

The bigger view you take of this the more yu can see that amny things could be involved.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

C'mon Bob,

We know you hit the drive through on Saturday mornings too :D :lol:. You just have to love the way your hands feel after eating one of those damn things (of which I haven't for about 2 months now thank you very much). They ought to put a moist towellette in the bag when you get one of those greasy sons 'a guns. It's almost like they dip the whole damn thing in grease. But they do taste good.............
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:it's a proven method of putting people with MS into remission.
Bob, cheerleader was not saying that. As far as I know, and most people here would believe (including cheerleader), nothing puts people with MS into remission and keeps them there; and is scientifically proven. ie ALL people for ALL time. PLEASE correct me if there is?

I think cheeleaders text "not to look to only one area of diet to the exclusion of all others" clearly expressed her doubt that it was 100%, and so I think, if you review your post, it will seem a little extreme or aggressive. Although she did not explain it explicitly for you, I read it and understood by the words "works" and "worked" that she meant SOME people believed it fixed them.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

skydog i don't know much about balancing your fatty acids but if you are interested in doing so, you may end up being advised to take an omega 3 6 9 blend, or just omega 3.

i do take o-3, from fish oil, about 2g per evening, on the evenings i remember to bother. i keep them in the fridge with the idea that it repeats on you less if it's cold. and i take them in evening so that i'll be sleeping when they repeat and i won't care!

if you supplement omegas in high doses you're supposed to take E also (i guess this speaks to the balance idea). i will have to get back to you with whether it's all the omegas that have this effect or just one. also i don't yet know what constitutes high daily dose, and for how long, that would have the potential to affect vit e status.

maybe dr. kane will know!
JL
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Hub
Getting to Know You...

Re: Fatty acid balance anyone ?

Post by Hub »

skydog wrote:A PhD by the name of Patricia Kane is responsible for this protocol and she has had some very good success with MS as well as other neurological diseases. Has anyone on this site heard of this ?
Skydog,

I briefly looked into a protocol by Patricia Kane and then I stopped when I read that she may have been fired from the Haverford Wellness Center and that she may have taken advantage of a lot of people with ALS. Here's one link to look at: http://cbs3.com/investigations/i.team.i ... 14584.html

There's also a discussion about her on the ALS portion of the neurotalk website.

I would take anything she says (including having success with MS) with a big shaker of salt.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:I'm surprised that you even mentioned flaming because that hadn't even seemed a considerable option. I wasn't annoyed at you, having a bad day OR trying to provoke a flame and I think it's obvious that I kept my humor the entire time.

My question started out simply enough but evidently I pushed it too far.
Bob, take it from a third party that it wasn't directed at. The manner in which cheerleader took your post is not "suprising", and it is not "obvious" you kept your sense of humor, and a sense of humor is often used to make fun of someone anyway.

Now, go sit in the corner, and think about what you have done. :P
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Thanks for airing this, it is a good reminder.

A little while back my grandson was visiting and he was irritated with his baby brother so he said "run away!!...Run away!!..." to HIMSELF as he took that action. I often hear his tiny voice in my mind when I take the same defensive action and it makes me smile.

It is a good strategy, often the best.

But back to oil balance, the author I mentioned Judy Graham also apparently has a book on Evening Primrose oil itslef. I haven't read it but her information in the other book the Multiple slcerosis self help book is so indepth on oil and specifically balance that I imagine it is good.

The Self Help one had a lot of information about the different chains of fatty acids why some are good some are not and it was very in depth while not so scientific as to be difficult to read and understand, but enough so that you knew it was not bogus info. Your thread has reminded me to dig it out and review it....... :wink:
skydog
Family Elder

FattyAcids

Post by skydog »

A big thanks to all for the input. I have for the best part of my life been extra healthy. Never missed a day of school to illness. Had mono the year after graduating from high school and then the chickenpox at forty. Recovered from both quite well. I feel one of the big reasons for my health was a good balance of the right fats. I ate lots of fish growing up and still do. Never was much into red meats but loved real butter. Cook with olive and coconut oil. Always kept a good bowl of nuts on hand. I already was on the Swank diet when my Dr. said try it to see if it helps. Planting a Bigger garden Mark