I'm Going to Be Seen by the National Institutes Of Health!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
marcstck
Family Elder

I'm Going to Be Seen by the National Institutes Of Health!

Post by marcstck »

A few weeks ago I was looking through the Multiple Sclerosis Quarterly Report, which is put out by NARCOMS, and noticed that the National Institutes of Health was running a trial called "Assessment of People with MS".

The NIH is compiling a database of MS patients, who they can dip into for further research at some later time. Becoming part of this database requires them to do a complete neurologic workup on a patient, which includes a 3 Tesla MRI, spinal fluid exam, and extensive blood work. The trial notice stated that they were looking for people with "possible MS", and that their research doctors would determine a diagnosis for each patient. Here's a link to the trial description:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00001156

I immediately called, and at first they were very discouraging because I live so far away from their headquarters (Bethesda, Maryland). After I started describing some of the "atypical" aspects of my case, though, they became interested, and asked me to send them my records.

They called me last Monday and told me they wanted me to be part of the study! I'm scheduled to go down to Maryland to be seen by them on June 17 and 18th. I'm in supposed to go back two more times, at one-month intervals, for follow-up MRIs and some additional testing (lumbar puncture, etc.)

I'm very hopeful that these people will finally be able to figure out just what the hell is going on with me. Johns Hopkins has told me that although what I have might be PPMS, it would be a very strange case, and it's in fact very uncertain that what I have is MS. My primary neurologist has said that if I were a new case, he would suspect neurosarcoidosis, but since I've tested negative for that, and negative for most of the other differentials, he thinks it's most likely PPMS. I'm pretty sure that I don't have MS, but something more systemic.

I'm thinking if any one can figure out the puzzle of my medical predicament, it will be the scientists at the NIH, many of whom specialize in rarer neurologic disorders. And their help can't come a minute too soon, because the MS (or whatever it is) is really kicking my ass...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Going to NIH

Post by NHE »

Hi Marc,
That's great news! I hope that they figure something out for you so that you can take some positive steps towards improving.

NHE
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

This is cool news!! I wish the best for you and that you get the answers you are looking for. I also love your videos! :lol: :lol:

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

Wish you the best at NIH! Sounds like this will help you w/a dx and you can get a fresh start.

Holly
queenie
Family Member

Post by queenie »

Hey, Marc! Thanks for turning me on to this site! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you at NIH.
Love you, and Karen, and looking forward to seeing you both again, in NYC!
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Marc that's brilliant for you. I hope you get answers to the things that have been bothering you.

A question - how did you get tested for neurosarcoidosis?

My neuro said that he'd have to biopsy my brain! - obviously not a pleasant thought and he said he'd only do it if I was dead. :lol: It's just that my history is one of glandular fever (mono) that infected my liver and caused hepatitis, and 6 weeks later I got sarcoid lesions on my leg bones. There is a strong family history of sarcoidosis too. 7 years on I was diagnosed with MS but my neuro said he wouldn't think it's neurosarcoidosis - I've always wondered though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

congratulation Mark, finally to be assessed by people with a larger fan of possible diagnosis... super... good luck , Carole