Peeing my pants in the Walmart parking lot

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
hlm286
Family Elder

Peeing my pants in the Walmart parking lot

Post by hlm286 »

I just full out peed myself in the Walmart parking lot. I know that may be TMI but I thought who better to vent to then people who understand. I've had a "spazzy bladder" as my doctor called it, since my attack almost 2 months ago, but it's just been urgency mostly. I went to the bathroom before I left, was shopping for less than an hour, I did start to feel like I had to go but thought I could wait. I guess not! I was walking to my car, dropped a case of pop off the cart, ran into it and it started spraying everywhere, then I peed myself! It just started coming out and I couldn't stop it! Luckily I don't know if anyone saw but I can't help thinking how embarassing that would have been had I not left the store a minute earlier! What do I need to buy diapers now? This sucks! I feel like it's bad karma because I had a very stressful day at work yesterday because I had to cover support for a little girl with special needs (I'm an ECE and am working in a summer program) and she kept peeing her pants and then pinching me and pulling my hair as I tried to help her clean up and change. I was getting really frustrated. Who knows, maybe it's karma, maybe it's from the extra stress yesterday, or a bit of both. It just reminded me to be careful of what I think and say and try to be more patient and understanding. Atleast I can find a bit of humour in my situation, I just hope it doesn't happen again!
flautenmusik
Family Member

Post by flautenmusik »

Sorry this happened to you, but I bet if anyone did see you, they would think that the pop got all over your clothes, so that is a good cover-up! :D Always have to think on the bright side.

I do not have any other words of wisdom since I have not experienced this, but what if you tried some kegal exercises to strengthen the muscle tone that you do have? And perhaps jimmylegs can offer some of her advice- I have always found that what she says tends to work!
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Atleast I can find a bit of humour in my situation
you have too :lol:
I just hope it doesn't happen again!
it will, wait till it's in the store, harder to hide..
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

I've learned from experience to wear dark pants when I go out. If you have an accident, it's less visible if you're wearing black.

--Tracy
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I use Serenity pads. One thing about being a guy, you just have to duck behind something. I have become probably the world's best "public pisser". I get that can't stop it feeling too. My only saving grace is that I only pee about 4 oz. when I do go, so it's not like the once or twice I did it in school from drinking way too much 8O. Do you cath? That's the one requirement I have before I attempt to go shopping (which ain't often). Sucks but at least you can laugh about it!
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Loobie wrote: I have become probably the world's best "public pisser". Do you cath?
Loobie Sir, I have a degree in public pissing! (Top That LOL...)

Like Lew said, you may need to see your urologist and consider cathing. When I was told I had to start cathing, I frlt like the world's blanket was snatched out from undernieth me. I though I was going to "break down" right there in the doctors office. I kept telling, no insisting to the nurse that was not an option for me. NO WAY. I had the problem of urgency, and frequency. I wasnt emptying my bladder each time. Now, three months later, I cath frequently (thanx to guidance and support from Lew and Arti) and I am amazed at how GOOD it feels to empty and not have the worry.
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

I did the same thing about two weeks ago. I often have to take pictures of homes for work- most of the time interior and exterior. I had just left a lovely home and was in my car and WOW!!! I couldn't wait. Pulled into a restaurant parking lot, got out of the car, and about two steps later I peed. Man, I have to tell you I felt better after peeing, but I was a mess. Went home, cleaned up, went back to work and told them....sorry it took so long but I peed my pants! I work with my son and a family friend so no biggy there. And luckily I didn't pee in the client's house! I have done this many times in the last few years. Once in particular was before dx when I had a house full of company. I am less embarrased of myself now that I know why I do it. It was devastating before dx. And I don't look forward to the day I do it in front of strangers!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I must say that because I have had accidents like that. I now keep myself dehydrated, on purpose.. I drink very little and never miss a chance to go to the washroom. I always make sure my bladder is really empty and yes, I wear black pants if I am not sure of myself.
We had a saying while I was training: working here is like peeing in black pants, it feels warm but no one notices... lol
take care , Carole
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, well since we're all outing our accidents, i have to say that ever since i got back to the point where i could walk on uneven surfaces and therefore go hiking, combined with my magnesium experiments, i have had to take emergency what-bears-do-in-the-woods more than once. i can't even relay my worst story online. but i have yet to be busted by observers (as far as i know) other than my friends watching me scamper off into the bushes, which is a little embarrassing but no worse than that. at one point i had learned to take TP in my pockets if i was going to be jostling my insides at all, but the last time or two were very unexpected!
and now for the advice, which you will laugh at really hard given what i've just told you. any time i hear 'spazzy' i think 'electrolytes'. what does that mean? take magnesium! (and calcium etc, a nice multimineral) if you already do take these, it could be time to re-examine the dosages. stress makes you pee out minerals, and for sure a relapse is a stressy time!!
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

carolew wrote:I now keep myself dehydrated, on purpose..

Knowing that this is a VERY bad idea, I do the same alot of times. Like today, went to get MRI's. Four of them,2 with contrast, 2 without. Apparently, I was so dehydrated, they couldnt get a needle in a vein to inject me for the contrast. After 4 trys, they gave up! I know how VERY important water is to the body, but it just goes right through me. 8O
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Ah memories...of my very first time... :)

When my son was about 10 or 11 years old, I drove him to his favorite indoor mall for sports gear while guzzling a Diet Coke the whole 45 minute drive. When we were almost there I knew I had to go right away, but I was sure I could hold it until I made it to the mall restroom. As soon as I walked into the crowded mall, I was surprised when I felt myself start to pee, and absolutely shocked when I had no control over making the gusher stop!

I had to grab my son and confide my predicament and ask for his help to cover it up. I carried my large purse in front of me and he followed close behind, blocking everyone's view. Outside the restroom I backed myself against the wall and handed him a fistful of money to run over to Wal-Mart, and told him where to buy me a pair of sweatpants to change into.

On the ride home I had to give him a calm, cheery, normal type explanation ("Well, son, this sort of thing happens to grownups all the time...blah blah...age...blah blah...having babies... blah, blah, blah.") or some BS like that...I've blocked some of this out of my mind. I wasn't dx'd with MS for another 20 years or so. I don't even want to speculate on how much this episode may have traumatized the poor kid...and please, I don't want any of you men here to tell me. But I'm pretty sure I bought him anything he asked for at the mall that day. :)

Ever since, I've worn at least a small Poise pad when I leave the house, but I've learned to read my body and know what, when, where, how much to eat and drink (most of the time). Caffeine is the thing that causes all the problems, and only rarely water (when I've drunk tons of it fast). I don't drink coffee, so it may have something to do with the Diet Coke, so I only sip them now and then. I never drink caffeine on or before a trip or before a meeting at work. I rarely drink alcohol, because it will do the same thing.

I drink tons of bottled water (bottled so it won't spill) - plenty at home before work, plenty when I exercise, plenty on weekends, and sip it all day at work. I started that habit years ago when I read how good it was for you. And I don't recall ever having a UTI. I always know where the closest bathroom is, though, and stop drinking about an hour before I go out somewhere. I also do Kegel exercises regularly – a BIG help – and as long as I'm only drinking water I can usually hold it till I make it to a bathroom. I know myself so well, I actually seem to have less of a problem than anyone else in my office since they're my age or older and drink caffeine all day.

Ah, memories...I wish better ones to all.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
Meegs
Family Member

Post by Meegs »

oh my... i've been there.

I was walking home from my birthday party last year with a friend who i had a bit of a crush on... we got to the corner of my street and i was doing the 'potty dance' when he started talking about us.... I wanted to stay, but had to pee so bad. Literally had to rush through the conversation and started to walk as fast as possible to my building. I made it to the steps of my lobby when the urge couldn't be stopped... away it went. Down my light grey pants, just as my neighbour was walking into the lobby.

My face was SO red and i started crying. The very next day i called my neuro for help, as i'd been trying to ignore this crappy crappy symptom. Since then, I'm on oxybutynin on an as needed basis and I've learned that for important events (like my birthday party)... poise pads are my friends.

Hang in there.... it's got to get better, right?
TeresaL
Family Member

Re: Peeing my pants in the Walmart parking lot

Post by TeresaL »

I always wear pads when shopping just in case
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I guess if you have MS and never had this problem you're a very rare person indeed. What we're talking about is control over smooth muscles. They're the ones that can expand (like a bladder) as well as contract. Skeletal muscles don't have that range to expand. The control of smooth muscles lies in the autonomic immune system where the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems provide feedback to the brain through the spine. If the spinal cord is damaged the signals go awry. Bladder control, bowel management and blood pressure are just three examples of the autonomic immune system at work.

Jimmylegs is spot on about magnesium. It will help. Additionally I would suggest to start exercising the whole torso to retrain the muscles around your bladder and give you more control. It doesn't always work, particularly if you get overconfident and don't go when you first get the idea, but it will help. Pilate exercise patterns are ideal for this problem. The trick is to create a flexible spine so you are not locked into a posture that leaves some muscles almost always switched off and absolutely no help to you with this issue.

Regards,
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

omg i didn't know anything in 2009. i was still having trouble bc magnesium oxide. my horrific year with magnesium bisglycinate induced GERD was still in the future. after that got sorted, having settled on magnesium glycinate with the occasional mag citrate - yes all of the benefits with none of the less pleasant side effects.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “General Discussion”