Reading Nook ~ topic = Amelia Davis

Discuss your favorite books here
VirtuallyFine
Family Member

Reading Nook ~ topic = Amelia Davis

Post by VirtuallyFine »

:idea: anyone want to start a reading nook?

I am an avid reader...I thought it might be good to start a list of books, MS related, that we have found, and rate them (ie "this one is crap" or "this one is awesome"...). I would love to see recommendations (and things to avoid) here...

FOR EXAMPLE:

I recently heard about this book but it has not been released yet:

My Story: A Photographic History of Life With Multiple Sclerosis
by Amelia Davis
Paperback: 300 pages
Publisher: Demos Medical Publishing; (March 2004)
ISBN: 1932603018

on amazon......
"About the Author
Amelia Davis is a freelance photographer who has shown her work in fine art galleries, universities, and at medical symposia. Her photographs have been published in literary and art magazines and in textbooks. Her first book, The First Look, (U. of Illinois, 2000) received the Sixteenth Annual Susan Koppelman Award for editing, and was selected by the AAUP Book and Jacket Show as one of the best designed books of 2000. Amelia, who lives in San Francisco, was diagnosed with MS in 1998.

Book Description
An evocative photo essay of what it is like to live with MS. A series of dramatic essays and photographs, portrays the lives of 32 people of different ages, ethnicity, and socioeconomic backgrounds who share the experience of this disease. Included in this compelling and beautiful book are the inspirational, illuminating stories of men and women who have faced the challenges and limitations of MS. "
< March 20, 2004 = I want my life back *sigh*
> March 20, 2004 = ...day one on alertec = getting my life back? *grin*
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

:) I think this is a wonderful idea. I love to read too, but actually find I have little time to do it, so I'd really like to see recommendations.

The one you highlighted is right down my alley as I love photography so it's a sure thing for me. :)

The only book on MS that I've actually read is "Living Beyond Multiple Sclerosis: A Women's Guide" by Judith Lynn Nichols and Her Online Group of MS Sisters

It was very good for me at the point of diagnosis. Has lots of humor, lots of ideas for managing, is realistic and optimistic. The book is written in an email conversational style with commentary and opinions on a wide variety of issue.

I'd already had one experience they talk about, but didn't recognize it until I read the book.....

e.g. They describe how to be on the look out for store detectives when you're shopping because they'll follow you all over thinking you are drunk.

I started laughing immediately because I'd had this strange experience Christmas shopping when this guy followed me around a Dept. store all night. I just shook my head and kept shopping cuz I couldn't figure out what was up. Reading the book I just started :lol: "been there, done that"...already. :lol:

ok everyone out there, what have you read that you'd recommend up or down?

Sharon
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

:) I think this is a wonderful idea. I love to read too, but actually find I have little time to do it, so I'd really like to see recommendations.

The one you highlighted is right down my alley as I love photography so it's a sure thing for me. :)

The only book on MS that I've actually read is "Living Beyond Multiple Sclerosis: A Women's Guide" by Judith Lynn Nichols and Her Online Group of MS Sisters

It was very good for me at the point of diagnosis. Has lots of humor, lots of ideas for managing, is realistic and optimistic. The book is written in an email conversational style with commentary and opinions on a wide variety of issue.

I'd already had one experience they talk about, but didn't recognize it until I read the book.....

e.g. They describe how to be on the look out for store detectives when you're shopping because they'll follow you all over thinking you are drunk.

I started laughing immediately because I'd had this strange experience Christmas shopping when this guy followed me around a Dept. store all night. I just shook my head and kept shopping cuz I couldn't figure out what was up. Reading the book I just started :lol: "been there, done that"...already. :lol:

Sharon
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Sharon
fightingms
Family Member

Post by fightingms »

Hi guys... I have not read this book yet but plan to purchase it. I received the info in my MSFY e-mail today. Sounds like a very good read...Kim

NEW BOOK PORTRAYS REAL PEOPLE WITH MS
In a series of essays and photographs, renowned San Francisco-based photographer Amelia Davis brings the reality of life with MS to readers with her new book, My Story: A Photographic Essay of Life With Multiple Sclerosis.

The book is comprised of 32 stories of women, men and children, aged seventeen to seventy, living with MS. The essays and accompanying photographs that fill the pages of this book vividly portray individuals with MS. Some need no mobility aid, while others use canes, wheelchairs or electric scooters. Read about various treatments and therapies, alternative coping methods, hobbies, creative outlets, and community activism. Also included are accompanying stories written by spouses, children and other loved ones, depicting the ups and downs of living and loving someone with MS.

Diagnosed with MS in 1998 at the age of 29, Davis turned her grief into advocacy once before by working on a book of photographs of breast cancer survivors, called The First Look.

A 300-page paperback, My Story was published this month by Demos Medical Publishing. (List price: $19.95, ISBN# 1932603018). Don't forget that Demos Medical Publishing offers a 20 percent discount to readers of MSF publications. To learn more, or to order this or other books, visit http://www.demosmedpub.com/msfoundation ... index.html.
fightingms
Family Member

Post by fightingms »

OOPS I just realized this was the first book reccomended!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
lottydotty
Family Member

Post by lottydotty »

I love to read, too! I recently read Montel Williams book "Climbing Higher".
I found it interesting and helpful. I wish my family would read it!
I can't wait to read Amilia Davis's book. I think we need more newer and updated books. Then maybe non-MSers will start to understand a little.
I know that March was MS awarness month. I never heard or saw anything in the news or paper. Of course we are all aware, but it's time to educate others so they aren't following us around stores thinking we're drunks! Or giving us dirty looks for parking in the disabled spot when we look physically fine.
MS is the gift that keeps on giving.
Kimscupoftea

How can a non-Doctor learn to understand the science better?

Post by Kimscupoftea »

I'm reading "Curing MS" by Dr. Howard Weiner. I'm about half way through, but I'm learning a LOT! This book helps me understand the history of research and helps me to know that there is a lot of effort being made by a lot of people to treat MS. I recommend this book for anyone who is likes to know the details behind the answers. This is not a book for someone who just wants answers. This is a book for those who always follow up any answer they get with a series of "why" questions.

In any case, I'm sort of new to trying to understand the medical reseach and how the body and MS works. I'm hoping that someone can recommend more books that non-medical experts can read that will help me understand more about all the biology and science that is part of MS research. Knowledge is power, but I know I have to begin learning at the beginner level. I know I'm not going to become a medical student.

I read stuff all over the place about herbs and foods and I just want to sort it out somehow. If you did everything that is recommended you'd be consumming supplements all day long. What should a beginner's MS reading list look like?