Take the meds man!
75%
Do not drug up.
25%

Total votes: 4

Moonlight_Rose

newbie with a question.

Post by Moonlight_Rose »

I've had MS for about 2 years. For most of the first year, I had a variety of symptoms. Then it tapered off. Now, for the most part, I have no symptoms. I get a bad headache or two, worse than before the MS. A very slight spastic episode. little things. They wanted me on Rebif, but I had no insurance. Should I go on Rebif or another drug to head it off before it gets bad. Maybe I should just enjoy my able bodied life until it starts to run away from me. I just don't know. I would love to get the opinion of someone who has had to deal with MS for longer than me. Thank you.
"Tell the devil, he may kiss my @$$!"  Martin Luther<br />
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: newbie with a question

Post by NHE »

Do you take any supplements such as fish oil, green tea, or turmeric? You might want to head over to the Natural Approach forum and do a little background reading. I'm not saying that this will cure MS, just that many people here have found such supplements to be helpful and that they're use is supported by published research.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not to mention diet and exercise... hydration... lots of things :)
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

And please consider LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) I wish I had know it when I start have strange feelings. No side effects (for me) and cheap.

Be well and live!

Cheers,

Algis
wheels

Post by wheels »

hi, i was diagnosed at 21 and yes i had some episodes and yes i was scared as to what the future held. then the desire to live life to the full kicked in and i did just that. now in a wheelchair with very limited abilities i can look back with very happy memories and to be honest tinged with some sadness that i can longer dance, ski or walk but very glad i did what i did whilst i could. we are all guilty of taking life for granted but some of us have advance warning that life could possibly take us in another direction. i can't comment on drugs as nothing was offered or available 26 years ago. my advice to you would be listen to your body ie, if you're knackered, rest. otherwise, get on with life and enjoy, let the future take care of itself as and when it happens, deal with it then, there is always the possibility that you may not get worse.
zinamaria
Family Elder

Post by zinamaria »

Wheels, you are a champ.
Jimmylegs I love how you always go right to the nutrients, supplements and taking care of the body naturally, and I always appreciate your responses!

And Rose,
I was diagnosed 8 yrs ago, (am 48yrs old) and had slight symptoms about five yrs before that but no testing, then a big crash..i.e. my big episode that told me to get to some testing, which i did, and then came the diagnosis. I was so healthy at the time (still am in that I mean that even though I suffer symptoms, I still SEE myself as a healthy person, not an ill one) that one neurologist said 'no way' is it MS, then went to another and still he thought the same thing; there was hardly any evidence of lesions on my brain, they were pinpoints...but i was having symptoms and knew something was not right...finally the spinal tap, and that confirmed it.
They offered the drugs. My sister was sitting next to me as the neuro described the drugs and possible side effects, not to mention the cost...my sister said, 'if you were her would you take the drugs' he shook his head no. I had already made the choice not to take the drugs he offered, but I was surprised by his answer.

I am not here to give advice, to be sure, this is one decision that is all yours to make between you and your loved ones. But I share this with you because you have asked.
And most importantly: when I chose not to take the drugs, I also chose to take full responsibility for my health, for MS and like Jimmylegs, got right on nutrition (had already a pretty good health program, had run 2 marathons and was running still many miles a day) but there are specific dietary and supplemental protocols for MS that I have found to be very helpful and always learning. Nothing happened in one day; it has been a process, to be sure, especially refining the diet, which has taken time and I am still making changes!
This is a great site, for you get it all here! My companion even had a carpenter make an inclined bed for me, (we'll have a double made soon!) and this was because of Fletcher's info on this site.

I want to suggest Ann Boroch's book 'Healing MS', (even if you decide to take the drugs, then it's even more important to try to keep your immune system strong, for the drugs, it is MY understanding, but do the research yourself, that they weaken the immune system and take a toll on the organs). And I recommend seeing an online interview with Ann Boroch; there are two, not the Montel Williams one, which is good too, but the other one, can't recall it now. She also has MS and is a natureopath and is on the most current information as regards nutrition and MS.

And (I know, it's a lot of 'ANDS'), I started a yoga practice, which is physical and spiritual, including a lot of meditation and deep breathing excersises; this has all helped me immensely as I no longer go for the long runs but love to take care of my body (okay, I admit I am vain).
Basically MS changed my life in the most positive ways, for I am sure with the diet I had I would either have diabetes (was a sugar addict) or clogged arteries (loved that saturated fat!), but because I made the radical dietary changes and rid my life of all that was toxic, including bad relationships and a very stressful job (I owned a restaurant, which I closed), I feel certain my life is much 'healthier' than ever. (I am now a painter).

Okay, that was a mouthful, perhaps more! but felt compelled to answer fully, so I hope no one minds. I say all this while I am in the middle of one of the most acute relapses in all these years, 4mths now, just coming out of it AND I did take cortisteroid treatment for the first time, IV, 5days, for 3hrs (that's how we spent our thanksgiving!). I believe I had very minimal side effects of all that cortisone gushing into my body because of all that I have done over the years. I am not anti or pro drugs as you can see, I take it one day at a time.

All this to say there is no crystal ball, and no rules. You must, like wheels suggests, listen to your body and do what you feel is right. I wish you all the best,

Peace and joy to you,
Zinamaria