Stay on it until pregnancy is confirmed
42%

Total votes: 12

d4vinder
Getting to Know You...

Copaxone and trying for a baby

Post by d4vinder »

Hi guys,

This a follow on from another one of the topics in this forum, however I feel it is an important subject to touch on, as me and my wife are newlyweds with aspirations to bring up children in the future.

We need to know how Copaxone affects the body or baby.

The question was posed to MS nurses when Copaxone treatment was started, and the answer given was simply detox from Copaxone for about 3 months prior to conceiving.

I have heard some stories of pregnancies failing due to miscarriages or birth defects possibly linked to Copaxone.

I would like to get some facts on this subject. SO if anyone knows anything out there please do tell.

Many Thanks.
d4vinder
Getting to Know You...

new research in Birth & MS

Post by d4vinder »

I found this article published by the UK's BBC very interesting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8374009.stm
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

I am interested in this for men too...being a man, who shoots the stuff...

anyone have thoughts?
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Research has also shown that drinking alcohol causes a decrease in sperm count, an increase in abnormal sperm and a lower proportion of motile sperm. Alcohol also inhibits the body's absorption of nutrients such as zinc, which is one of the most important minerals for male fertility.

As difficult as it may seem, you should eliminate alcohol from your diets for at least three months in order to give yourself the best possible chance of conceiving.
Absentee I had a good look at this with my hubby when we experienced the miscarriages.....it looked as if the 3 months prior rule works for both men and women for a number of things like sufficient zinc, good diet, alcohol intake. I've never seen anything mentioned about conception +men+Copaxone but if everything else is affected 3 months prior, then I suppose I'd be inclined to think men should go off Copaxone 3 months prior too....but that's just my 2 cents worth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
Dejibo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Dejibo »

I voted to stay clear for 3 months. I am not sure if it would affect the quality of sperm or not, but wouldnt want to chance it.

GL with the adventure. 8)
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

hah thanks. already have a little one but thinking about round two.. I'll ask my neuro next week but I never expect much clarity from docs.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Back when I was trying for my #3, my diagnosing neurologist wanted me to stay on Copaxone for the whole pregnancy!! I was not going to do that but I did keep it up until pregnancy was confirmed. No issues with the pregnancy & he's now a healthy two-year-old. It always took me a long time to fall pregnant (11 months of trying for #2, 8 months for #3) so that was a factor for me too.
Jackie_D

Post by Jackie_D »

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 5th child.

I've been on Copaxone with only a couple months break since November of 2008. the break was at the beginning of 2009 due to insurance issues.

I conceived this one in December and am still on Copaxone as my Neurologist recommended.

I also breastfed my 4th child while on Copaxone. (I was diagnosed 2 months after her birth).

Although there are not many of us, there are some women that HAVE stayed on the Copaxone while pregnant and even through breastfeeding. If you call Shared Solutions and ask to speak to one of their pharmacists they will confirm this as well as confirming that there have been absolutely NO reported problems or birth defects at all.

I'm not sure if it would affect conception from the male or not, but from the female's end everything seems fine. :)

Good luck! I hope all goes well! :)
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

my neuro did say go for it, that the copax works on a different part of the system, so no worries.

and lo and behold, we are expecting our second in November....