Treatment for vertigo

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
kimmie14

Treatment for vertigo

Post by kimmie14 »

[/i]Hello All,
I am at a brick wall and to damn old to climb over it lol..I have acute vertigo and have been taking diazepam for the last 14 years for it. Recently my vertigo seems to have taken over. I was wandering if anyone has any suggestions on other medications they take for vertigo? I am assuming that vertigo is from the 8th cranial nerve and maybe inner ear problems. I am pretty desperate M.S is bad enough but the world spinning and almost passing out for about 5 hours out of the day is terrible.
Thanks in advance
Kimmie :D
noddlebean
Family Member

Post by noddlebean »

Hi there,

Yes Vertigo is the worst thing in the world and I have only had it once so far with MS let along your long haul. Hey for me I ended up getting a course of steriods straight away and that worked for me. But hang on, I went to the MS society and had a few visits with the physio lady there and she had a lady that had had it for 14 years and has fixed her so don't give up. Please get your inner ear checked first. Make sure its not a different problem. The trick is in the eye exercises. I did these they do work but you have to be vigilent in doing them everyday for some months. A few of them were:
1) focus on an object in the room stay staring at that and move the head up and down and also side to side without taking your eyes off that object.(I think this was the main exercise) It can make your vertigo seem worst so she said take it in stages - try it for a bit and stop and then start again when your ready to carry on.
2. Get a paragragh of something and 2 copies. Hold one in each hand out from you as far as you can still read it. Read word for world one of each page. So basically you are turning your head from side to side to read each word. Of course change the test once you feel you are starting to memorise it.
3. Walking (if your able) and turning your head side to side as you walk.
4. Draw a figure "8" on the wall and follow it with your eyes.

basically you have to re-program your brain (eyes) to work properly or its like desentitising them to the movement.

The Physio lady was very educated in this topic and she said it can be fixed but it will take some effort and some time. Vigilence and patience. Nothing fixed the vertigo as in medication that I could find so the best bet is getting those eyes working how you want them to.

Hope this heaps.

Jill
kimmie14

Post by kimmie14 »

Noddlebean Thank you so much! I am so interested in your reply it makes so much sense, I have had ms about 14 years diagnosed early at 22 and vertigo has been my biggest battle. I am in a bad time now and this is the worst I cant ride in the car unless Im driving so on you know the rest its like I'm in a bad video game lol.... I will try your suggestions I read about it years ago and tried but like you mentioned it made my vertigo worse but I gave up after nausea. I will be diligent in it!I cant thank you enough for the great tips!
Warm Regards,
Kimmie :D [/i]
noddlebean
Family Member

Post by noddlebean »

Hi Kimmie

Great - keep it up :) Yes it will make you feel worst but just remember it will pass after some work at it. The Physio lady said it will take some dedication but it is possible. Its time to take control !!

Yes having someone drive me round in the car just about made me feel like I was going to bvomit. LOL I reckon having vertigo points out just how bad some peoples driving is. LOL

Please get your inner ear checked first tho, she did this weird thing on me to check the "rocks" in my inner ear but apparently once someone does this thing on you you have to not lay down flat for a couple of days to let it settle. i,e including sleeping. It is probably the MS/vertigo though but just to make sure your not doing exercises for nothing get it checked.

Try some ginger in your diet to help you on your way - supposedly helps with nausa. You could probably get a pregnacy formula tablet that includes this. They use it to help with morning sickness so why can't we use it if we feel sick. LOL All other medications just drug you out and make you sleepy.

Good luck with it all

Jill

Jill
MOMTO3
Family Member

Post by MOMTO3 »

hello,

when i had a terrible bout of vertigo 2 years ago, they gave me a medicine called antivert, it worked wonders for me, i had it so bad i couldnt even leave the bed, just sitting up made me puke cause the vertigo was so bad. i hope you find some relief soon.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I know of two products you can get over the counter that are also for vertigo. There is Gravol, it is not only for nausea. There is also Serc, makes people less drowsy than gravol. Good luck. I had to do the exercises too and they do work quite well. Carole
kimmie14

Post by kimmie14 »

Thanks to you all! I have been trying the exercise and wow its gotta be doing something if it can make you that sick....lol...I wont give up! Thanks for the info on the drugs I will check into them and keep up the exercise.... Cant take any more steriods! My choice.
Hugs to all
Kimmie :D
new2this

Post by new2this »

Hey all,
I was diagnosed 4 or so years ago and was having 0 problems until 2 weeks ago. I am on avonex but 2 weeks ago i started having massive dizzy spells ( tough to get them with two young boys looking to play with dad, lol). I seem to get them at work constantly now and wonder if it is because of glare or just staring at a computer screen all day. Hoping I may just need glasses but reading some of the posts i am gathering this is a downside to MS. Odd thing is when i get home it seems to go away except if i am tired and staring at the tv. Should i assume this is what vertigo is or does this not sound like it to you guys? Last sunday i got so dizzy i got up and basically fell over, just laid there for about an hour, thank God the family was out can't have the kids see me this way. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks