anyone NOT get Avonex side effects, or get them mildly?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
kareng7
Family Member

anyone NOT get Avonex side effects, or get them mildly?

Post by kareng7 »

Just curious to see if anyone has had the less dramatic course with Avonex. I'm going to start it soon and, well, I'm n-e-r-v-o-u-s! So I'm looking for positive feedback.
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

I have been on Avonex for 1.5 years and I'm very happy to say that generally I have no side effects from the Avonex. I just took my injection last night and woke up this moning fine. From the start, my side effects have been manageable. At their worst, I would wake up in the middle of the night with chills, headache and all my muscles would ache. As long as I kept taking my Advil every 4 hours I was okay. Last week's injection made me wake up with a headache - but again that's manageable with Advil. No relapses since my first and no new lesions. I also take supplements and LDN.

Good luck.
wintergirl

Post by wintergirl »

I have been on Avonex since Nov. 2000. I had pretty bad chills, fever, achy muscles during the night of my injection for about 2-3 months. I advise you to keep 2 Tylenol and a glass of water on your nightstand. If you wake up in the middle of the night, it's nice to have them handy. After that the flu-like symptoms started fading. Each "shot night" got better and better. After 10 months or so it was hardly noticeable. Now I rarely have one of those nights. I have noticed that when I'm traveling and I'm at a high altitude (Vail etc) I tend to get those beginning type symptoms though. No idea why.
Through the years I"ve tried various things and finally settled on this routine. On my shot night I mix up my shot.....eat dinner and take my Tylenol with my meal. 1 hr. later I get the injection. I feel the effects of the shot more when I took it on an empty stomach. I also drink a large glass of water right before the injection.
Things to remember. Wait until the alcohol dries completely. On the vials (if you mix) and on your leg. Wet alcohol stings. Relax your leg muscle. Insert the needle quickly but inject slowly. After you pull out.....place the gauze 2x2 on the site and press down firmly with your palm. Massage in a circular motion to gently distribute the solution within the muscle. If you do this you will experience minimal to no muscle soreness later. AND.....ditch the needles they supply you with and go buy a box of 25G 1 inch needles instead. Costs about $10 for a box of 100 but well worth it. Much more comfortable. You will be surprised that most of your injections will be absolutely painless. Once in a great while a nerve or vessel will be hit and you'll feel pain but you can always just pull out and try a new spot. You'll do fine! Don't think of it as your enemy. Think of it as a good thing. ((hugs))
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

Wintergirl - I totally agree with your positive thoughts about the drug. I also view Avonex as something good and I've even got myself believing that I always feel better after my injection. I think I lot of this has to do with mind over matter.
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

Thanks to all y'all who've replied so far. You're making me feel better already! :D
Xenova
Family Member

Post by Xenova »

28 months on Avonex. After 6 months, the side f/x faded but now I go through phases where they come back for a few weeks. But now, they are not as drastic as they were in the beginning.

Advice: Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. Find out what works better between advil and tylenol. I'm a tylenol person but most people rave about advil. Do not get off schedule. I've missed a week a few times. When I took it after skipping a week, the side effects were back. Find the best time of day that works for you. I prefer early evening versus bedtime but that is not always possible. Just remember everyone is different and our bodies react differently. You just need to figure out what works for you and stick to it.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

1) toss the needle that comes in the kit. Get 1 inch needles, they are shorter and a smaller gauge and they work just fine. Your avonex supplier might even give you the needles if you request them.

2) take a hot shower to relax the injection site. You will be less stable walking, but the needle will slide in and out like butter.

3) rub the injection site down with your knuckles, like you're rubbing out a cramp. Do this for a few minutes to warm up the muscle, makes the shot work better.

4) take lots of vitamin c. I can't vouch for the exact way it works, but I do have a post in the vitamins board. But when we are on C, there are less chills, and it's easier to get up in the morning.

5) Getting up early seems to be better than getting up later and getting a provigil first thing in the AM helps too. You gotta walk it off.

6) Tylanol before bed, tylanol when you wake up in the middle of the night and tylonol when you wake up.

napay
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
Tiramisu
Family Member

Worried about Avonex

Post by Tiramisu »

Hello,
I am a newly diagnosed and I am also Diabetic T1. I was given Avonex. I am cautious about all the side effects I hear of. I have been reading and I see most do it at night, before bed. Being Diabetic, I am not sure if any of you are, but Im cautious about a blood sugar rise. I would appreciate any info given to me, and if any of you have not received any benefits for the use of Avonex.

Mars