Question for Pioneers with stents: What questions to ask...

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
lucky125
Family Elder

Question for Pioneers with stents: What questions to ask...

Post by lucky125 »

Now that you have been through it, what questions do you think are important to ask your surgeon BEFORE Liberation?
-About the actual procedure?
- About post-op drug regimine?
-About potential post-op pain/side effects?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Loobie
Family Elder

Re: Question for Pioneers with stents: What questions to as

Post by Loobie »

lucky125 wrote:Now that you have been through it, what questions do you think are important to ask your surgeon BEFORE Liberation?

Thank you for your thoughts!

I would make sure you have the discussion about the spinal accessory nerve. 7 months out I'm much better, but still not 100% in that area. Now granted I was early and they were using much bigger stents, but I would bring that up for sure. If for nothing else, just awareness. I have no illusions that if Dr. Dake were really, really looking out for that, it would have been minimized. I'm not saying he could have avioded banging that nerve because he had to push it through, but awareness of what to expect is never a bad thing. Other than that, the procedure was not that big a deal.

Just make sure that if you are on LDN that you stop it or your percocet or morphine won't work. Also, when they push morphine, always ask to have them push Zofram (sp?) because it made me very nauseous and sick without it. Also make sure you are fully aware of where and how to get your INR (clotting level that they base your thinner level on) checked. Since mine was done so far away, I got it all set up with my GP. It's simple and they do it all the time, but knowing in advance helps as not everyone takes to Coumadin greatly.

I don't know really how to answer this. Some people had a very rough time and some didn't depending on where the stents were placed. I went through two rounds. The first one I was in all kinds of pain. The second one was smooth sailing. You should just be prepared to have a good amount of neck pain and headache when you are done. Percocet and Ibuprofen work on it though.
lucky125
Family Elder

Post by lucky125 »

Thank you Loobie! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.