Hand pain?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
fishee2
Getting to Know You...

Hand pain?

Post by fishee2 »

Hi everyone - I tried searching this topic but nothing relevant came up. Just in the past few days, my right hand (dominate hand), has experienced some pain. It isn't constant pain, but more when I use the hand, like to squeeze the saline bottle when putting my contacts in, or when im twising the top off of a 2 liter bottle. Is this a common MS Sympton? Up until now I have luckily only really experienced fatigue as a symptom.

Background on myself, I am 24, diagnosed when I was 18, Have been taking Rebif since fall 2005.

Any replies are appreciated, just wondering if this is common or if this could somehow not be MS-related. Thanks all.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

I am curious to see what others have to say about this. I get pains in my arms that come and go, I just assumed it was MS related.
jackD
Family Elder

arthritis?

Post by jackD »

To check for arthritis -- push your thumb, from the other hand dummie, into the base of your sore hand. If it is VERY VERY painful then you might have early arthritis. Post results of self test.

jackD
ms2009
Family Member

Post by ms2009 »

My wife has arms pain. The neuro said this is a natural MS symptom.
fishee2
Getting to Know You...

Post by fishee2 »

I did the arthritis hand test deal as described above, no pain doing that. Of course the pain has gone away now, I guess I am going to assume it is just an MS thing, and now my right foot is feeling funny, damn this, haha thanks everyone.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Fishee
glad to hear the pain has gone away for you.
I do have pain in my right hand. My right side is primarily affected (MS 11+ yrs). The physio I go has told me my range of movement in my wrist is limited and after my last relapse in Oct last year I couldn't put weight on my bent wrist (say, for example when doing yoga) without a lot of pain. I think it's a kind of spasticity in my wrist.
So yes, you can get pain in your hand.
The other type of pain is harder to define - crawling, gnawing, cold, or burning, aching pain - that can be nerve pain. I take 25mg amitriptyline at night for that becuase I've pain down my right side, and it does help it to an extent.
Hope your hand pain stays away.
:wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

It dawned on me tonight... pointless really, I think, but my arm pains ONLY happen when I lay down in bed. Wonder why? It's almost a given, every night. :?:
Mike56
Family Elder

Post by Mike56 »

One of my earliest and most constant symptoms is hand pain. Once some of the numbness wore off I noticed my left hand is weak, uncoordinated, and it hurts when I make a fist.
This symptom varies in degree but never leaves me completely.
I don't dare pick up a glass of milk (or a beer) with my left hand both because of the uncoordination and the possibility of it being painful.
I'm a 53 yo male diagnosed with MS just over a week ago.

Mike
NotLovingIt

Hand pain and spasms

Post by NotLovingIt »

40 yr old diagnosed since 20 yr old. I have left hand pain (not my dominate hand) all the time with spasms in my last 3 fingers. The spasms feel like they will break the bone sometimes and the pain radiates down arm. Neuro says it will come and go but has been constant for last 6 months or so. I bought a thumb spike and holding the thumb at an angle seems to lessen the spasms so I wear it when they get bad. Don't know if it will help you or not.