Foot and leg issues?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
chele83
Getting to Know You...

Foot and leg issues?

Post by chele83 »

Hello,
Well, since being diagnosed almost a couple of months ago I am starting to notice everything! Here lately my left side is a little different feeling than my right side. One instance is that my right foot recently always feels like its freezing my right foot is cold but no where near how cold my left foot is. I have the worst time trying to describe some feelings that I have because to me its undescribable. So the best I can come up with is its freezing but it also feels like its on fire (that probaly does not make sense :D ) :? My left leg most of the time feels heavy, it doesn't hurt just feels different. My foot has got me alittle nervous not sure if this is normal with MS or could it be something else. If anyone has any words of wisdom or could ease my mind please help me :D Thanks for all the help

Chele
~Dx'd December 22nd 2009~<br /><strong>Why stress over things that can be changed......Change them! <br />Why stress over things that can't be changed.....You can't!<br /></strong>
elyse_peace
Family Elder

leg + foot issues

Post by elyse_peace »

Hii Chele,
From what i have learned, most ms-ers have one leg that works less well than the other. there has been a discussion on this site's forums where several of us have discussed shared symptoms, which included cold feet, stiff neck, and low blood pressure. I have also noted my feet can have different temperatures. Each person's symptoms seem to be individual. Lots of variation on the theme of difficulty.
I'm sorry you have this lousy illness. Unfortunately, you have lots of company and fortunately, there is a new way to address the problems. I visit here daily now to get more info.
Best to you.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Hey chele:

What you describe is compatible with what I feel. The left more than the right (burning cold); tho it is the right that is the less functional... :?
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Foot and Leg Issues

Post by elyse_peace »

Hello Chele,
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also had a feeling of heaviness in my legs. It felt like I was dragging around a bag full of cement from each hip.
I saw an acupuncturist for a while and, miraculously, her treatments resolved that problem.
I also eventually realized that my legs were differently compromised. One is weaker, but the other has it's own ways of tripping me up.
chele83
Getting to Know You...

Post by chele83 »

Thank you guys for the responses. I really appreciate it....Its good to know I'm not crazy and this does exist :D I might have to try the acupunturist I know I did not spell that right :oops:

Thanks
Chele
~Dx'd December 22nd 2009~<br /><strong>Why stress over things that can be changed......Change them! <br />Why stress over things that can't be changed.....You can't!<br /></strong>
globab
Family Member

Post by globab »

that is exactly how mine feel........ i often get in a hot bath, to warm up my feet..... and by the time my feet are warmed up a bit, the rest of my body is scorching hot...
on and the stiff neck... wow i have that, never knew others with MS experienced that.... very interesting.
maxcreigs

RE

Post by maxcreigs »

Follow these basic guidelines after foot surgery to decrease complications and speed recovery. Give yourself plenty of time to prop up your feet and rest.
1) Walk only as ordered by your physician and always wear a surgical shoe, if prescribed.
2) Sit with your foot elevated to the level of your chest. Place a pillow under your heel to reduce pressure on the foot. Dangle your foot only as long as is absolutely necessary for the first two to three postoperative days.
3) Take pain medication prescribed by your physician for surgical pain.
4) Walk with assistance for the first few days - lean on an arm, cane, or walker.
5) Put ice on your ankle - 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off - for the first two days. Ice decreases swelling and bruising by constricting blood vessels.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

this is the second funniest serious abstract i have happened across, somebody writing about himself :D haha
Ann Pharmacother. 2002 Feb;36(2):255-60.
High-dose oral magnesium treatment of chronic, intractable erythromelalgia.
Cohen JS.
BACKGROUND: Previous studies with magnesium have shown beneficial effects in pain syndromes and in vascular disorders (hypertension, migraines, Raynaud's phenomenon [jl note: which can involve cold extremities]). However, results have been variable, possibly because of the limited oral doses achievable due to frequent diarrhea [jl note: shye says try to find albion chelated magnesium glycinate to get high intakes while avoiding diarrhea]. OBJECTIVE: To describe the case of a 53-year-old white man (the author) with disabling erythromelalgia (EM) [jl note: burning feet] who achieved modest improvement limited by adverse effects with calcium antagonists and then obtained remission with the use of magnesium. Intolerant of several standard magnesium products, he attained high doses of magnesium by taking intravenous-grade magnesium sulfate diluted in water orally (up to 24 mL/d of MgSO4 50% = 1166 mg/d of magnesium). METHODS: After 12 months of continued improvement, patient 1, a board member of The Erythromelalgia Association, notified other members of the success of this therapy via an Internet communication channel. He encouraged those interested in high-dose magnesium therapy to consult their physicians and to report their results to the Association. Twelve patients responded to this request, describing several standard oral magnesium products. RESULTS: Overall, 8 of 13 patients (61.5%) reported improvement (1, remission; 3, major improvement; 2, moderate improvement; 2, mild improvement). Four patients (30.8%) reported no response to magnesium therapy, and 1 patient's symptoms worsened. Two patients' magnesium dose was limited because of diarrhea. CONCLUSIONS: Despite recent progress in understanding and treating EM, this vascular disorder remains painful and life-altering for many patients. In this informal survey, the use of high oral doses of magnesium produced good and sometimes dramatic results in 8 of 13 patients who had been unresponsive to many other treatments. These results suggest a possible role for high-dose oral magnesium in the treatment of EM and, perhaps, other vascular disorders
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.