Fraser's Adventures in Poland...

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fraser
Family Member

Fraser's Adventures in Poland...

Post by fraser »

Well here we are in Katowice, back at the hotel after the first test at the hospital in Zabrze (town close to Katowice). My husband has MS, diagnosed 8 1/2 months ago, categorized as PPMS.

It was a long road to get here. So much indecision, fear, apprehension - you name it. Of course you work hard to get an appointment and then when you get it you think "what am I doing!". We flew from Canada, with a total of 20 hrs. in the sky and waiting to make connections in 2 cities. Kind of surreal to be here, but so far things have gone very smoothly.

We were greeted at the airport by a very friendly guy holding a sign with our names on it. A very nice way to arrive in a foreign city where you don't know a soul (or the language). We were promptly driven to our hotel in Katowice - about a 45-60 min. drive from Krakow. Nothing to do until the next day at 2:00, when we were to meet in the lobby. The hotel is very comfortable, not luxurious but more than adequate. We had a nice dinner in the hotel, and to bed. At 2:00pm today we were taken to the hospital for the MRI, the first test. All went smoothly - husband said it was very easy & noisy but they provided ear plugs and he almost fell asleep. We were given 2 copies of results on the spot - printout of 4 scan images and a CD (one copy for us to take home). Back to hotel around 7:00pm. That's it for today - had a very good dinner tonight in the little mall attached to hotel.

So far the process has been painless - they've set everything up really well. All the rides to and from the hospital are provided, taking much of the stress out of the whole thing. Tomorrow is really the big day - the doppler, and if my husband is a good candidate for the procedure it will be done following the doppler. Husband is packing for a hospital stay now, but have no idea if he will be staying. Absolutely no regrets at this time - so glad we came, because if nothing else we will leave with some answers.

(Also met 2 other couples here for same procedure - so great to compare notes and chat about our experiences)

Tomorrow is D-day. To be continued....
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Post by prairiegirl »

Thanks so much for posting-- will look forward to the updates. Good luck!
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

Fraser, Thanks for posting about your adventure in Poland. I hope for the best for your husband. I hope it won't be too long before I can have the US and scans done here in the USA.

ozarkcanoer
annad
Family Elder

Post by annad »

Glad to hear things are going smoothly. I hope it continues that way. Best of luck! Thinking of you guys!
take care!
ComfortablyNumb
Family Member

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

I was hoping to see your post here today. :D :D :D
I am glad to hear everything is going well. I hope the test results tomorrow bring the answers you want and need. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you both.
Enjoy the adventure and keep us posted.

stephen :D
pgm1
Family Member

Post by pgm1 »

Hi fraser,

So glad that things are going smooth for you and your husband and i hope they continue :D

My husband and i will be i Katowice on the 23rd maybe we will meet?

All the best Pam :)
tipsyturtle
Family Member

Post by tipsyturtle »

Hi fraser,
Thanks for the posting.. . waiting for good news from you!
All the best,
jo

:D
Katowice, April 7/8
lilaclomax
Family Member

Post by lilaclomax »

Hi Fraser

Both Robertnl and myself are staying at the Novotel and must have just missed you this morning. I hope everything went smoothly for your husband and maybe we can meet at the Qubus in the next couple of days.

It all went so smoothly for me too :D
fraser
Family Member

Post by fraser »

Thank you for all your good wishes! Today was a wonderful day - you might wonder how it could be possible after spending 15 hours at the hospital, but believe me it was.

We were picked up at the hotel at 8:00am (along with 2 other couples) and taken to the hospital for testing and the procedure. We were registered and then our very accommodating driver/host arranged for my husband to have the eye examination today instead of tomorrow. After the eye test, it was back to the clinic for IV drip, blood test, etc. It was a very long day, but so happy to wait since all six patients, were sending out very good, happy energy. My husband did not go into surgery until 8:30pm, and not having eaten for 20 hours (since midnight), he had a raging headache. He was out in 45 mins. The first thing the doctor said to me was "we have improved your husband 100%". He sat down with me and showed me where the stenosis was, and the stent that was inserted. Absolutely fascinating to see it on the screen. The before picture showed the jugular vein with a sizeable blockage and the ancillary veins that had taken over in order to help the jugular (that was blocked). In the after picture the ancillary veins had completely disappeared!!! When the stent went in within seconds/minutes his headache was gone! That does not ever happen - his headaches sometimes take days to go. He was in stunned disbelief. Very happy day. Miraculous.

Back at the hotel at 11:00, and time for dinner. Have so much more to tell you about the doctors, clinic, our experience.

Feeling very blessed tonight.
mangio
Family Elder

Post by mangio »

Fraser, such great news.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

That is fantastic!! Congrats, well done! It is crazy to have fixed in 45 minutes (procedure itself) something that affects us 24/7/365/lifetime.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Salvatore24
Family Elder

Post by Salvatore24 »

That is awesome news about the instant change with the headache. Headaches have been a major problem with me for the past few years.
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

100% AWESOME!!!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Post by prairiegirl »

Great to hear-- may the improvements continue!
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

fraser,

A wonderful story. And I can empathize with the headaches. It is wonderful hearing that your husband's headaches disappeared so quickly after the stenting !! This gives me hope (I am alternatively hopeless then hopeful) tht I too will find some relief someday. Thanks for sharing.

ozarkcanoer

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”