School Issues

This forum is for parents and caregivers of kids under 21 with MS.
Axiom
Family Member

School Issues

Post by Axiom »

Have you had school/medical issues with your teen (or younger child) who has an MS Dx, and if so how have you handled them?

Edited to take out all the personal "stuff" since this was getting lots of views and no replies.
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

> Have you had school/medical issues with your teen (or younger child) who has an MS Dx, and if so how have you handled them?

We have definitely had school/medical problems. I didn't check the board for several days, so I didn't see your original message. So I'm not sure if the issues are with the school and/or doctors, or with your child.

For the school, it has really helped to get letters from my son's doctors, and also to have his primary care doctor attend the 504 meeting.

For my son, the physical therapist he is seeing now has been a big help in getting him to discuss issues, and take measures to help with them. He was in denial before, which I realize now I was encouraging.

How old is your child, and what issues were you both dealing with?

Lynne
CCmom
Volunteer Moderator

Post by CCmom »

I am not the original poster here, but I can surely relate to the conversation! My 17 year old son was diagnosed at age 13. As far as school goes, it has been a long hard battle, but I must admit the school staff has been very cooperative.

How old is your son, bluesky? Is he on any treatment? I've been away from the board for quite some time. I have noticed that cognitively, my son has done better on some meds than others. We haven't had to ask for alot of special consideration regarding school for the past year or so.

Take care!

Kim
Kim R.