Starting Copaxone - What is best time of day to inject?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
Lo
Family Member

Starting Copaxone - What is best time of day to inject?

Post by Lo »

I'm starting Copaxone Thursday and have read different opinions about whether it is better to inject at night or in the morning. I know everyone is different, but I am interested in what works best for you and why.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I do mine at night, mainly because I'm not so much of a morning person, and it always seems I'm in a rush to get to work. The other reason I started doing them at night, is in case I get the IPIR. (Note, in one and half years of injecting, I have not experienced this). If it did happen, I figured it would be better to deal with this when I'm not getting ready to rush off to work.

But, I can see advantages to doing it in the morning. One is you don't have to worry about the injection if you're out on the town.
Needled
Family Elder

Post by Needled »

I also do mine at night. Like PX, I don't have time in the morning. And plus some of the sites are a little tender or sore and my work clothes aren't as comfortable. But I would love to do it in the morning and get it out of the way for the day.

PS: PX, I read your other Copaxone post and just haven't responded yet. But I will.
Lo
Family Member

Thanks for the reply

Post by Lo »

I think I will try nightime first. The idea of an IPIR alone in the AM (my husband leaves for work very early) scares me. I had not though about the clothes feeling uncomfortable - very good input! Thanks.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Morning works best for me. I felt when I did it in the evening it was kind of hanging over me all day....'have to do injection later'.............now I take it just after my breakfast and then I feel freer for the day. I have only had a few IPIR's in my 7 years on Copaxone, and I only got them when the needle depth was set too deep.
HTH
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
globab
Family Member

Post by globab »

i am on copaxone.... and not sure what IPIR stands for.. i am thinking the heart attack feeling......
i have been on copaxone for a few months, and i had one episode of the heart attack feeling... it was scary..... and i used to take my injection at lunch when i got home from work, i was alone.....
however after my episode, i dont take it alone, so i wait until evening when dh or my son is home......
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Starting Copaxone - What is best time of day to inject?

Post by NHE »

globab wrote:i am on copaxone.... and not sure what IPIR stands for.. i am thinking the heart attack feeling...
IPIR = Immediate Post Injection Reaction. A Google search brings up lots of hits. It's also been discussed here on the forums quite a bit.

NHE