Doc says "...take statin, fish oil, and niacin for hear

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
wilson
Family Member

Doc says "...take statin, fish oil, and niacin for hear

Post by wilson »

My general physician has me on 80mg of statin, Carlson's fish oil, and a 1000mg of niacin. According to him, studies have shown that this combination has decrease the risk of a heart attack or stroke by 90 percent.

I always been on a high dose of statin since I found out that I have MS. I added the fish oil and niacin almost 3 months ago. What has been interesting is that I think my symptoms have decreased and I don't have the minor flare ups. Could it be possible this combo is having a positive effect on my MS condition?
Smilingface
Family Elder

Statin plus fish oil, niacin

Post by Smilingface »

My Primary Care Doc has recommended a similar regiment for me. The
Carlson's fish oil, niacin (starting with 50mg and building up), red yeast rice and 40 mg of Lipitor or a low dose of a newer statin called Livalo. I'm hesitant to start the statin because of reports that it may inhibit remyelination since I have PPMS and feel like neurodegeneration is a bigger problem than inflammation. One of my neuros says statins are more likely to help MS than hurt but at this point in time we don't really know.

My cholesterol is super high so I have to do what I can to lower my risk for a heart attack!
Primary Progressive, Onset 10 years ago at age 42, diagnosis 6 years ago, Vit D, Chinese Herbs, Exercise, yoga. So far tried antibiotics, fumaric acid and 4AP. Currently participant in the FTY720/PPMS Trial.<br />
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Doc says "...take statin, fish oil, and niacin for

Post by CureOrBust »

wilson wrote:Could it be possible this combo is having a positive effect on my MS condition?
All three individually have been shown in the past in smaller trials to be effective either on MS or Mouse models.

Statins reduced enhanced lesions I think, omega 3's are part of the "best Bet" diet and Niacin was injected into the CNS of mice and I think found to help neuro regeneration. So its perfectly plausible taking all three would help in combination.

I personally take Lipitor (80mg) with as much Omega 3's (DHA weighted), while when I tried doing "Niacin Flushes", I can not say it was helpful in itself. B3 (ie "Niacin") is also a big part of the "Klenner Protocol"