MS_ Veterans - Service Connected Disability

A place for discussion related to MS and veterans.
lifeisgood
Getting to Know You...

MS_ Veterans - Service Connected Disability

Post by lifeisgood »

Maybe I'm missing it here and I just can't find it? There should be a whole forum for this topic so that any veteran looking at the lists of topics can spot this one right away and not have little bits and pieces scattered in different forums.

It should be in the "Life" section of topics.

MS has been recently 'deemed' a service connected disability - which means that as long as you can prove that your first symptom(s) presented themselves within 7 years of an honorable discharge you can receive benefits. 30% is the minimum for MS.

This would be so beneficial for veteran's to share their experiences with the whole process of trying to get 'rated' by the VA for MS.

Who can do that? Add a topic like that? Let's do everything we can to help these vets!

My husband is in the process now, and is waiting for his hearing.

I want to make sure as many people see it and help get a topic dedicated to Vets with MS!

Thanks-
mustangman93

Re: MS_ Veterans - Service Connected Disability

Post by mustangman93 »

Hi LIfeisgood,
I'm one of the veterans you're looking for. I was diagnosed with MS in 2002. I spent almost 14 years in the Army when I was medically retired in 2006. When I was retired from the Army, they rated me at 30% and put me on the Temporary Disabled Retirement List (TDRL) and the VA immediately ratee me 100% service connected. After 5 years on the TDRL (which is the max amount of time on that list) the Army reevaluated me and rated me at 100%. If I was your husband, even though I don't know his symptoms, I wouldn't take anything less than 100%.
Boudreaux
Getting to Know You...

Post by Boudreaux »

Seperated from service Dec. 1999, DX'ed with MS Oct. 2002. Didn't go for my disability until sometime in 2008. Make sure you bring all your records with you to the VA when it is time for his evaluation. I submitted everything to the VA from my doctors visits, and when I showed up for my VA examination they had no records. I had my records with me thankfully, was rated at 30%. Overall the process wasn't painfull, just lenghty. Don't ever assume that someone within the VA system did their job, be prepared is the only advice I can give.
cruiserkb
Getting to Know You...

Post by cruiserkb »

I am going through the process now. I have enlisted the help of the PVA to help with all of the red tape. I was using the DAV but they had too large of a case load to get anything done for me. Discahrged medicaly in 1995. MS diagnosis 2011.
ssgwildbill

Post by ssgwildbill »

lifeisgood,
I am also one of the veterans you are looking for. I am currently an active duty national guardsman and was diagnosed with MS in May of 2008. My first symptom was while I was deployed to Iraq in 2003. I am now currently going through a MEB/PEB board where I am sure they will find me not fit for duty. I have an LOD signed by personnel at the pentagon and hope that the VA and DOD take care of me. My state has been messing with me for the past 3+ years and now with only 15 years active duty I do not know what my future will be. I lost an E7 promotion back in Feb 09 due to my diagnosis and I am still very bitter about it. The personnel down at Ft. Riley, KS told me that I will be discharged within 294 & 365 days. While at Ft. Riley, KS my PEBLO told me that MS is now considered the agent orange of OIF. I have heard alot about the VA possibly linking the Anthrax vaccine to MS but that has yet to be proven.
QuicheLorraine
Getting to Know You...

Post by QuicheLorraine »

I was 7 years out in September. The VA had been working on my MS diagnosis for about a year, and I was given the diagnosis last month. I applied for an increase in disability last week (through my DAV rep). I am keeping my fingers crossed.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

QuicheLorraine – do you have the record of all the inoculations ("shots") you received in the military?

I suspect you received a vaccination against tuberculosis with the BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) vaccine. This is a live, but weakened (attenuated) bacteria. Dr. Denise Faustman is using this at Harvard University. As Director of the Immunobiology Laboratory in Boston, she seems to have found a way to restore insulin production and, thereby, reverse type I diabetes.

In the following interview she is talking about using multiple BCG vaccines: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/192352 ... t-diabetes

Here is a Bloomberg article with more details: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-0 ... or-tb.html

This BCG vaccine (for tuberculosis) is required for school-age children in the UK (I believe it contributes to the prevalence of MS there.); I do not know if the BCG vaccine is given to US military recruits. If Dr. Faustman can restart insulin secretion in type I diabetics, perhaps the vaccine causes overproduction in healthy military troops who start with a normal, appropriate amount of insulin; and (if excess production does initiate MS,) then MS may be triggered in some veterans?

I think BCG causes excess production of insulin and starts the MS cascade.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
QuicheLorraine
Getting to Know You...

Post by QuicheLorraine »

Interesting connection. Yes, I do have my shot records somewhere around here. I am also highly suspect of the anthrax vaccine. Not long after my last vaccination, I went blind in one eye for about 24 hours.
akman

Post by akman »

I'm going through this process now... I was placed on the TDRL in May of 2012, have received my VA at 80% and sit in limbo for DoD to decide. What I get tired of is the Medical Practisioners at the MTFs. I feel like the attitude is, "We are here to serve those who are currently serving. Please step aside and stop bothering us."

I just want to scream.
clavallee

Post by clavallee »

“Cleveland Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the slowest in the nation” Nesnet5

My VA Disability claim is 201 days old. The VA is now waiting for my personal trauma records from NPRC - VA dated August 22 2013. 24 weeks and counting. I filed for Multiple sclerosis and NOT PERSONAL TRAUMA. MS has nothing to due with personal trauma!!!! Incompetence!! I provided the VA my DD214, all of my personal medical records and my 1st MRI. I was diagnosed with MS in 1996 and honorable discharged in 1991 - 6 years after leaving the service. I have had MS for over 18 years and this is the first time I have asked for benefits. It appears that someone in the VA Center Cleveland Ohio saw my MS claim as an MST (Military Sexual Trauma) claim. This is incorrect.

The VA - "If an individual had symptoms of MS in the military, or within seven years after honorable discharge, he or she may be eligible for service-connected disability.

http://www.va.gov/MS/multiple-sclerosis ... nefits.asp"

The VA details "Service-Connected Benefits for Multiple Sclerosis (MS): MS is a presumptive condition and benefits are based on the presumption that the disability is service-connected (SC). Veterans with symptoms of MS in the military or within seven years after honorable discharge may be eligible for SC disability.

http://www.va.gov/MS/articles/What_Are_ ... erosis.asp"

eBenefits is not updated
What Do We Still Need From You? Your Attention is Needed
Your Authorization and Consent to Release Information to the VA from did not contain an address or contained an incorrect address. Please tell us the address of , so we can request medical information. You may want to obtain and send us the information yourself.
Date Requested: 11/18/2013
Due Date: 12/19/2013

For now, we are waiting for your response to this letter. What we need from you is outlined in the section below. When we receive your response, we can take further action on your claim.

What Do We Still Need From Others?
This is a list of all items that have been requested from 3rd parties.
Items From Date Requested Due Date Follow-Up Dates
Requested service treatment records. 08/03/2013 09/02/2013
Requested entire service personnel file. 08/03/2013 09/02/2013

According to eBenefits nothing has been accomplished with my claim even though you letter dated Jan 21 2014 states “We are still processing your application for COMPENSATION.” Requested information is all past due. I have uploaded all necessary information to eBenefits and you have received all information from NPRC except “Personal Trauma” records

Help with the VA!!
clavallee

Post by clavallee »

Cleveland Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the slowest in the nation

I am on Social Security Disability. My VA Disability claim is 200 days old. The VA is now waiting for my personal trauma records from NPRC - VA dated August 22 2013. 24 weeks and counting. I filed for Multiple sclerosis and NOT PERSONAL TRAUMA. MS has nothing to due with personal trauma!!!! Incompetence!! I provided the VA my DD214, all of my personal medical records and my 1st MRI. I was diagnosed with MS in 1996 and honorable discharged in 1991 - 6 years after leaving the service. I have had MS for over 18 years and this is the first time I have asked for benefits. It appears that some one in the VA saw my MS claim as an MST (Military Sexual Trauma) claim. i have attempted suicide three times before because of MS but this is not personal trauma and is in my medical records.

The VA - "If an individual had symptoms of MS in the military, or within seven years after honorable discharge, he or she may be eligible for service-connected disability. http://www.va.gov/MS/multiple-sclerosis ... nefits.asp"

The VA details "Service-Connected Benefits for Multiple Sclerosis (MS): MS is a presumptive condition and benefits are based on the presumption that the disability is service-connected (SC). Veterans with symptoms of MS in the military or within seven years after honorable discharge may be eligible for SC disability.

kzande

Post by kzande »

I need help... My father is a US Army Veteran and served in Germany during peace time (1981-1983) he was in the Army from 1981-1986. He first started experiencing symptoms of MS Sept. 1990 when pointed out by a civilian doctor. He's experienced symptoms like shakiness in limbs, numbness, fatigue, balance and coordination, vision problems, trimmers, pain, respiratory problems, speech and swallowing, bowel and urinary issues, sexuality and fertility issues, spasticity (muscle stiffness), heat sensitivity, and weakness, cognition(memory, etc). He's been trying to get 100% disability from the VA since 2001/2002, the VA has diagnosed him with epidimitis and is at 10%... Are there any tips for trying to get him too 100% disability? Any help please? Is this happening to anyone else?
clavallee

Post by clavallee »

I agree with you completely.

Cleveland Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the slowest in the nation newsnet5 Cleveland

I have secondary progressive Multiple sclerosis (MS) and am on Social Security Disability. My VA Disability claim is 210 days old. Unfortunately, I speak with no one at the VA concerning my claim. According to the VA eBenefits the VA is waiting for the following:

What Do We Still Need From You? Your Attention is Needed

Your Authorization and Consent to Release Information to the VA from did not contain an address or contained an incorrect address. Please tell us the address of , so we can request medical information. You may want to obtain and send us the information yourself.

Mailed forms 26 Nov 2013 and uploaded the forms to eBenefits on 26 Nov 2013

What Do We Still Need From Others?

This is a list of all items that have been requested from 3rd parties.

Items From Date Requested Due Date Follow-Up Dates
Requested service treatment records. 08/03/2013 09/02/2013
Requested entire service personnel file. 08/03/2013 09/02/2013

The VA has been gathering this evidence since Aug 5 2013! How long do they wait to update eBenefits? The VA 800-827-1000 individuals state the same results that the VA is waiting for this information and that the average time for a claim is 15 months and nothing else.

The VA - "If an individual had symptoms of MS in the military, or within seven years after honorable discharge, he or she may be eligible for service-connected disability. http://www.va.gov/MS/multiple-sclerosis ... nefits.asp"

clavallee

Post by clavallee »

I filed my MS disability claim 304 days ago. I have just been informed that I have an evaluation with several doctors. Has anyone been through this?

Craig
Richardjh101

Post by Richardjh101 »

Just found this forum. I served in the Infantry in Vietnam from 67/68. I was diagnosed with MS in 1984 many years past the 7 year limit although I had symptoms in the early 70's but no doctor record. I kinda backed into 100% service connection when the PTSD program in Menlo Park CA withheld my MS medication. They claimed that it might make me depressed. A few months later I had a massive exacerbation that left me wheelchair bound with bladder and bowel problems. The Board of Veterans Appeals in Oakland CA gave me a R1 rating and 8 years back pay.
Rich