What are the benefits of Betaseron?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
David1949
Family Elder

What are the benefits of Betaseron?

Post by David1949 »

From what I understand Betaseron and similar drugs are touted as reducing the number of relapses. Is that correct or can they slow disease progression as well?

I have never had relapses in my 15 years with MS so I never started taking any of those drugs.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: What are the benefits of Betaseron?

Post by NHE »

Hi David,
David1949 wrote:From what I understand Betaseron and similar drugs are touted as reducing the number of relapses. Is that correct or can they slow disease progression as well?

I have never had relapses in my 15 years with MS so I never started taking any of those drugs.
I should note that I'm not recommending interferon-beta. If what you've been doing for the last 15 years is working for you, then stick with it. If you haven't been doing anything special, then you might want to take a look through both the Diet and Natural Approach forums for some ideas that can easily be incorporated into a daily routine.

To answer your question, I posted some data from Avonex's doctors prescribing information pamphlet a while back.

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-60622.html#60622

These graphs show that Avonex does appear to have a mild affect on disease progression. Note that the numbers that Biogen (and almost any other pharmaceutical company) uses are relative percentage differences. In effect, the absolute percentage difference is 13% between the treatment group and the placebo group. However, using relative percentages, the difference is 37% which is the number for effectiveness which is usually published for effectiveness against disability progression. As you may have guessed, I'm not all that thrilled with the use of relative percentages in medical studies.

NHE
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

I was on avonex for 4-5 years. It did not do much and eventually I started having relapses. Then I went on Inetrferon Beta . Another 5 years .
Did not do much. but that was the only thing I could do.
I am waiting to get liberated. So I am quiting my meds.
I think my doc. was only a sales rep. for these drugs.
She wanted me to go on chemo and I said no.
Rebecca
Family Member

Scary doctor

Post by Rebecca »

Wow, I'm with you. I think some docs do push these drugs too much. I'm glad you said "NO" to chemo. Ridiculous in most cases.
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

If not the drug-pusher thing, I feel like a test subject. I once was denied betaseron because I was told by the doctor thatt she already had another patient on that.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Laura5myMSstories.blogspot.com
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

My neuro recently informed me that taking DMDs including Beta have no positive effects on MS and that he along with others are not prescribing these to anyone. So l asked what now and he said nothing. Live with it. How many of u agree?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

No one really knows for sure, but I would rather take a chance taking on (I have been taking Copaxone for about 2 1/2 years) just in case they do work. Although I don't necessarily agree with the "Live with it" comment without considering other options such as diet, nutritional supplements, exercise and lifestyle change which seem to help many do better (again, no one really knows for sure.
gramcjk
Getting to Know You...

Post by gramcjk »

hello David 1949 gramcjk to you,. I took betaseron for almost 2 years. Any side effect you could have, I had. UGLY!! Then nothing for 2 years , started relapses. Copaxon for 2 years. Tired of being a human pin cushion, for no obvious good results. Have now been on Techfidera for 2 years. Last MRI showed no new lesions, old lesions showing healing. Very minimal side effects from this drug as long as I eat an egg in the morning, and take with meals. Lab results have been good for me so far. No new relapses. Much more heat tolerant, feel better over all health wise. I would recommend Techfidera, very strongly, my opinion. No progression of the disease. Not sure who was more excited about MRI results. My neuroligist, or my husband and I. Good luck to you on this rocky road. gramcjk
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

David1949, can you update us as to what you ended up doing? I saw you indicated your current condition in a recent post but you gave no indication as to whether you had gone on a DMD or not.