true story

A board where people can laugh about their day to day experiences with MS, to combat some of the stress that goes with this illness.
Xenova
Family Member

true story

Post by Xenova »

So, like I begged and whined to my company that I really wanted a fancy PDA/phone. I thought it would help me keep track of things and deal with my MS shortcomings. At first, they gave me an old one, a Treo 300. I liked it okay but the funny thing is that one day I left it on top of the van when I was putting my kids into the van. I confessed to my company what happened with my tail between my legs.

I held off a few months and then started dropping hints again. After a few weeks, they found a newer model, a Treo 600. I was thinking like this is all I needed. A device to make phone calls, browse the internet, keep lists, and set up reminders. My MS mind needed this.

A few weeks pass and as I was getting out of my vehicle, I dropped this Treo in a glass of water situated in the console. I froze until I snapped out of it. After drying it off and a few days of rest, it recovered functionality but not 100%. This is like me and my last excacerbation.

I waited a few months and started whining again. I said that this phone is causing me fits and I was sure why. It might be a malfunction. So, after some maneuvering, I finally got approval for a new phone. This time, they got me the latest model, a Treo 650. I was blown away by it. But, lo and behold, when I was returning from lunch the same day I got this Treo, I was getting out of my vehicle and I heard a splash. I looked and yes this Treo was sitting in a cup of water. I freaked out before pulling it out of the cup. I had all kinds of thoughts of what I was going to do including paying $600 to get a new one although I would have been as emabarrassed as possible. I got a can of air and sprayed it nightly for four days until finally it was back to 100%.

I don't know if the moral of this story is not to lie, whine, or complain. I certainly don't condone that now that I learned a few lessons. Anyway, I now find this story funny and I laugh at what this disease does to us on the outside. I no longer keep a cup of water in the console and I bought the toughest case available. I hope and pray this is the end of the saga.