CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Nigel,
That's great you found Dr. Dickholtz's youtube video of correcting a Chiari using NUCCA upper cervical. I believe the method posted by Dr. Koontz is the Lanely upper cervical device which is somewhat similar in appearance to the AO device. I also have other papers from the ACA on successful management of Chiari using Applied Kinesiology, which is another non-force method that uses craniopathy.

The problem caused by Chiari malformation is twofold. One is that it causes contact of the brainstem and cerebellum against the cranial vault. The other is that it obstructs CSF flow. As I said in my book Chiari malformations are probably far more common than we currently realize and as upright MRI continues to evolve we will probably see many more.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Neava,

Yes. I did complete the 300 hours and passed both the written and the oral exams for the diplomate in chiropractic neurology in 1989. I started looking into Chiari malformations well before that.

In addition to considering specific upper cervical and craniopathy for decompression of the cerebellum, brainstem and cord caused by Chiari malformations, special spinal decompression tables such as the Cox 7 table should also be considered before resorting to surgical decompression. Decompression tables relieve compression in the spinal canal and intervertebral foramen caused by spondylosis, stenosis and scoliosis. They are perfect for a wide variety of conditions that cause compression of the cord which is called myelopathy. They may also prove to be helpful in the management of arachnoid cysts.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I forgot to mention that Dr. Scot Rosa is board certified in Atlas Orthogonal and has also successfully worked on Chiari malformations using AO along with pre and post upright brain scans.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1 wrote: ... with Chiari, the adjustments are not to necessarily to 'fix' the problem ... The objective with chiropractic is to align the spine with the skull to alter the contact points that occurs to avoid surgery when possible. Ever case would be different and need to be thoroughly assessed.
Nigel,

That was excellent! I couldn't have said it better. You definitely get it. Now go and explain it to the chiropractic college over there. They could have a new breed of doctors prepared to tackle the challenge in no time.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fee001
Family Elder

I want to understand

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

I'm sorry to be a bit thick, but I find many big words and abreviations used, and woosh! goes right over my head.

I'm playing catch up bigtime. I have to be treated like a newbie, I dont understand a lot of complex descriptions spoken on here, I'm not mega thick just I need things explained in simple terms to be able to understand it all.

I feel a bit out of my depth on here, but I am learning and do like it here.

Fiona
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Fiona,

Feel free to ask questions. You can also check out my website and blog for additional information.

http://www.upright-health.com/
http://uprightdoctor.wordpress.com/
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Morning all, Dr F I have been pondering what I have learned over the recent months and I am at a point where I want the best treatment. Basically after watching the videos on Dr. D I can see the importance of skill and equipment.
Historically I have seen many chiropractors and others who manipulate the spine. From my experience they are missing the cause and watching Dr D's video's on the spine as a system I can see why adjustments to spine segments will not fix the original problem, and likely cause other issues if the manipulation is aggressive. To check the atlas is so obviously the answer when it is spelled out so simply by the tool (cutout) that Dr D made.
I have checked yet again who in NZ does UCCA and there are only three known people in the North Island.
The question that I have for you Dr. F is how am I going to be able to identify who will give the best service.
In my understanding Dr D is confident and skilled enough to do xrays before and after and show that he has achieved what he sets out to do. I am aware there is added cost, and I want to know that I have traveled and spent money on the least number of treatments that will address my problem.
So when a person is UCCA accredited are they going to be skilled to do a correction that is likely to require only one or two adjustments, and is that going to be evident on a repeat xray after adjustment. Dr. D has set a standard in my mind!
As you will have gathered as a person from a technical back ground I am wanting to not only understand but control much of my treatment, and I am well aware of the difference between operators of a technique.
So how do I assess a chiropractor by phone so that I get what I perceive that I need.
Easy question? :D
Thanks in advance,
Nigel
EDITED ps
After thinking and sleeping on watching the videos I have now more understanding of the nature of the connection between skull and the top of the spine. It is like a cup and saucer, where the cup is located by the recess in the saucer. If the cup does not return to its place it can sit off center.
With the skull having a hole and the spine having a hole, if they are misaligned by a force, for instance at right angles it will decrease the available hole diameter and impinge the cord. If the dounut of "cartilage" is compressed vertically it can bulge in or out and decrease the hole size through its center and impinge the cord.
The two different shapes (skull and spine) are joined by the flexible fusion (disc) that can be misaligned by force and re-aligned by an accurate opposite force as well?
It would appear that the alignment of the skull to the atlas vertebra segment is totally different to the alignment of the individual disc segments and that is why there is a totally different training and understanding required.
It is almost requiring a different name for the practitioner of Atlas alignment as 'Chiropractor' does not seem to fit the 'specialty' because of the medical worlds view of spine issues and Chiropractors.
Does a practitioner of Atlas alignment share the same beliefs that a Chiropractor does about the chiropractic adjustment system and methods?
The skill set, measurement methods and tools are soo very different as well.
Last edited by NZer1 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi Fiona,
just had a lucid thought.
Can you list the abbreviation and terms or words so that we can help with a better understanding for you.
We might be able to directly assist if we know what you are needing to know.
Regards Nigel
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

what i do sometimes is have this page along with google open so i can google a word dont understand. if i could remember anything, i wouldnt have to do it alot
fee001
Family Elder

Praps I need a translator

Post by fee001 »

Hi

Perhaps a section is needed for new people especially, and UK drifters like me where abreviations are defined, a bit like a dictionary.

I know UK abbreviations or most, but you have some extra new ones.

I just think anyone visiting this site for the first time might get a littlle overwhelmed by it all.

Or perhaps I'm the only Numpty in town

Fiona
I do my own research, and find my own answers Its good to talk
neava
Family Member

Post by neava »

im sorry dr upright,

but i must be thick as well, but as far as i can tell you havent really answered my questons, apart from having done your specs in 1989,

Did you also have refreshers in training?

i agree, with technology getting better, there is more people with chiari malformations,
but not everyone has problems,

can you please explain with arachnoid cysts?

for me to have an understanding on what your saying to help people, its important to answer all questions,even if you think they might not matter,
im a student you are the teacher. sometimes understanding is slow,
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

neava wrote:thats the thing that gets me, chiari malformations normally have overcrowding, how can adjustments help that,

just going by how my chiari ended up, i had no fluid in the forenum magnum, which required decompression surgery, no ifs no buts, its classified as emergency,
how can adjustments make room for your brain and fluid?
cause really thats the problem with chiarians, there isnt enough room.

if this problem is left you can have permanate damage,
how do you know the adjustments help???? symptoms alone?
thanks
Hello Neava,

I have had too many post graduate and refresher courses in neurology, orthopedics, sports medicine, x-ray and corrective techniques to list here and that doesn't include courses in traditional chinese medicine and accupuncture.

Not all Chiari malformations are associated with overcrowding. Some are and some aren't. Some cases have over 5mm of descent and no symptoms because of they have enough room in the spinal canal so as not to cause compression. Some people have 1-2mm of descent and have major symptoms (Chiari 1). Some people have no descent and no crowding but they have contact with the base of the cranial vault and many signs and symptoms.

The purpose of upper cervical adjustment is to realign the spinal canal. This allows CSF to flow properly which facilitates brain flotation in the vault. It also helps CSF to get past the point of constriction in the upper cervical canal. UC adjustments also help arterial and venous flow to the brain.

Spinal decompression tables use intermittent stretching and compression of the spine along the long y axis (the length of the spine) which is combined with backward and forward bending, side bending and twisting of the spine. In addition to spinal decompression, the affect on a Chiari malformation would be similar to rocking a car stuck in snow or sand. The gentle rocking of the table helps to release the cord and move CSF through and past the obstruction.

No one can correct permanent damage. But you can prevent further damage. In fact, although it relieves pressue on the brainstem and cord, surgery to correct Chiari malformations causes permanent structural damage and weaknesses in the upper cervical spine, not to mention mechanical malfunction in a critical area. The consequences are often cervicogenic headaches (musculoskeletal headaches) that can be addressed using special specific chiropractic methods post surgically to relieve the discomfort.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Nigel,
Who is Dr. D? Did Dr. Koontz recommend him? A certified NUCCA doctor is about as good as you are going to get in NZ. Can you provide me with more details about Dr. D? Does he have a website I can check? How many years has he been in practice?

The chiropractic profession split many years ago over the issue of upper specific upper cervical and I don't care to go into the politics.

The upper cervical spine is within the realm of all chiropractic disciplines as is the rest of the full spine below to those who choose to do upper cervical alone. There many ways to address the upper cervical spine but specific upper cervical has been tried, tested and refined over seventy years. Many chiropractors are now starting to incorporate both upper cervical and full spine. It's the wave of the future.

Get me more information and I will help you make a determination about Dr. D.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks for the reply Dr. F.
I have emailed this morning to the college where Graham Dobson is the lead tutor. He was at the same college as you and started at the same time as you left. I will let you know what I can find out. Its now Friday 9.00 pm so I may not hear back for a day or three.

Regards Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Nigel,
Actually I vaguely remember Dr. D but didn't know who you were referring to. The NZer's in my school stood out with their posh English accent. One of my class mates was a NZer. He was quite handsome and popular with the lasses.