all things magnesium

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

magnesium vasodilation

Post by jimmylegs »

Mechanisms responsible for vasodilation upon magnesium infusion in vivo: clinical evidence. (2002) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12635879

A number of studies have shown that intravenous administration of magnesium (Mg) is an effective treatment for acute coronary syndromes. While mechanisms such as antiarrhythmic, antithrombotic, and myocardial cytoprotective effects may be involved, a vasodilatory effect is among the likely beneficial effects of Mg infusion. The vasodilatory effect of Mg is incompletely understood. On one hand, Mg can act as a physiologic calcium-antagonist, but in addition interest recently has been focused on whether endothelium-derived nitric oxide is involved in Mg-induced vasodilation. Another issue in Mg-induced vasodilation is whether the specific Mg salt administered influence the degree of vasodilation. Although Mg sulphate has undergone more clinical studies than Mg chloride, experimental studies suggest that Mg chloride influences vasculature more than Mg sulphate. No clinical research has investigated whether the vasodilatory effect of Mg differs according to the associated anion administered. The present review includes evidence concerning mechanisms of the vasodilatory effect of Mg including endothelium-derived nitric oxide, as well as the possible differences between different Mg salts.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

CSF Mg & vasodilation

Post by jimmylegs »

Optimal cerebrospinal fluid magnesium ion concentration for vasodilatory effect and duration after intracisternal injection of magnesium sulfate solution in a canine subarachnoid hemorrhage model (2015)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21073257

Object
The optimal CSF Mg++ concentration for vasodilation of spastic cerebral arteries after subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and its duration are unknown. The temporal profile of the vasodilatory effect and optimal CSF Mg++ concentration after the intracisternal injection of MgSO4 solution were investigated in an SAH model in canines.

Methods
Cerebral vasospasm was induced by experimental SAH using a 2-hemorrhage model in 26 female beagles. On Day 7, 0.5 ml/kg of 15, 10, 5, or 0 mmol/L MgSO4 in Ringer solution was injected into the cerebellomedullary cistern. Angiography was performed on Day 1 (before SAH) and before and 1, 3, and 6 hours after the intracisternal injection on Day 7 to measure arterial diameters of the basilar artery (BA), superior cerebellar artery (SCA), and vertebral artery (VA). Cerebrospinal fluid Mg++ was also measured at the same time.

Conclusions
The reversible effect of an intracisternal injection of MgSO4 solution on the spastic artery requires CSF Mg++ concentrations > 3 mEq/L. The vasodilatory effect continues for 3–6 hours after injection. These results suggest that the continuous infusion or intermittent intracisternal injection of MgSO4 is needed to maintain the optimal CSF Mg++ concentration and constantly ameliorate cerebral vasospasm.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: all things magnesium

Post by THX1138 »

Great find !
Maybe this is why my head cools and becomes way less full feeling after I do an Mg treatment (with Mg oil).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Severe hypermagnesemia induced by magnesium oxide ingestion: a case series (2019)
fft: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6361089/

Abstract
Hypermagnesemia is generally considered an exceptional iatrogenic condition usually caused by magnesium-containing cathartics. In particular, this condition often develops when magnesium-containing cathartics are administered to elderly patients with renal insufficiency or bowel movement dysfunction. Although magnesium oxide (MgO) is widely prescribed as a laxative, serum magnesium concentration has not been examined in most cases. In this report, we present the cases of four elderly patients with constipation and symptomatic hypermagnesemia caused by MgO ingestion, one of which had a lethal course. All of the patients were older than 65 years and with renal dysfunction. In addition, they had difficulties in expressing their symptoms because of cerebrovascular events or dementia. These cases suggest that hypermagnesemia caused by magnesium-containing cathartics is more likely to develop than previously recognized and that physicians should be aware that patients with chronic kidney disease and the elderly are at risk of hypermagnesemia on magnesium administration. We recommend serum magnesium monitoring for high-risk patients after initial prescription or dose increase.

............regimen..........................serum magnesium
Patient 1 MgO (660 mg/day) 2 years......6.9 mEq/L
Patient 2 MgO (1320 mg/day) .............6.1 mEq/L
Patient 3 MgO 1,000 - 2,000 mg/day......7.6 mEq/L
Patient 4 MgO 330 mg/day................11.9 mEq/L (fatality)

for comparison i've been on 200 mg supplemental mag (glycinate, ie oxide with added glycine) per day for ages, with an extra 200 mg if i take vitamin d3. most recent result was below 2 mEq/L. as a general rule i would be content with results up to maybe 2.15. such a result would probably seem 'high' as in unusual or above normal to a local lab, but the research suggests that serum levels would need to be higher still, for problems associated with true excess to start kicking in.

for conversion to your local units: http://unitslab.com/node/2
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

The Problematic Use of Dietary Reference Intakes to Assess Magnesium Status and Clinical Importance (2018)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 018-1573-x

... Use of current DRIs for Mg is problematic because recent evidence suggests that they should be updated and based on body weight. An evidence-based suggested Estimated Average Requirement (EAR) and Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for a 70-kg individual is 175 and 250 mg/day, respectively. However, numerous dietary and physiological factors can affect the need for Mg and thus affect the use of the current or suggested new DRIs to assess Mg status. ...

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... s.html#rhw
the highest reference weights by age category used to establish recommended daily intakes max out at 70kg /154lbs for men and 57kg/126 lbs for women. age ranges are given up to age 30.

*if* we can assume scaling up is linear within 'normal weight' by bmi, i should use 1.25x any given nutritional recommendations. trying to nourish overweight can be problematic. with protein for example you nourish ideal weight.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Association between reduced serum levels of magnesium and the presence of poor glycemic control and complications in type 1 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review and meta-analysis (2020)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2120300217

"Highlights
• Reduced levels of magnesium are associated with poor glycemic control and maybe associated with dyslipidemia in type 1 diabetes mellitus."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

magnesium for vit D

Post by jimmylegs »

Response of Vitamin D after Magnesium Intervention in a Postmenopausal Population... (2020)
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/8/2283/htm
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

reflux cough.. again Re: all things magnesium

Post by jimmylegs »

adventures with magnesium. took me a while to recognize that my recent cough was not from wildfire smoke, but was a reflux cough secondary to excess magnesium and an overly relaxed lower esophageal sphincter.
it has been well over 10 years since last time, but finally i did realize that 900mg/d combined with too much time spent prone was the culprit.
technically i know better. even considering the 7-10mg/kg body weight suggestion that's out there for life in contemporary society, i still end up with 650mg/d for a max recommended intake.
i know my serum levels have tended to be 'normal' over the last year or so, but they are not what i would consider serum 'optimal'. personally, i would never spend the extra $ on RBC magnesium testing until i had an optimal high normal serum level and was *still* experiencing magnesium deficiency symptoms. to each their own.
by feel, my most recent issues have definitely been excess. couple days off the mag, no more cough. whew!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: reflux cough.. again Re: all things magnesium

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:08 am personally, i would never spend the extra $ on RBC magnesium testing until i had an optimal high normal serum level and was *still* experiencing magnesium deficiency symptoms.
What is your difference in cost?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

access and prices will differ locally, hence to each their own. i've seen it cost 4x more for RBC, sometimes I've seen it cost not quite that much more. from where i sit, every penny counts - whether from an individual or from a taxpayer perspective :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

900 mg/day is quite a bit. Several years ago I tried to use Mg for vasodilation. I took 800 mg/day. After a week my legs were noticeably weaker. I cut my dosage back down to normal levels and the weakness went away.

Maybe you're pursuing a goal using the serum test that's not attainable.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yes i had felt transient leg weakness at far lower doses, way back even before the time i first had the reflux cough. doesn't seem to be the specific issue lately. i might experiment further.

even though my recent (pre-cough) serum levels haven't been quite as high as some recommendations, there are always cautionary scenarios like this one to consider:

Fatal Hypermagnesemia Due to Laxative Use
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2917304676
"...On admission, her magnesium level was 2.0 mg/dL, which rose to a peak of 10.8 mg/dL ... During the early part of her hospital stay, she received an additional 3.6 g of elemental magnesium ... Impaired intestinal motility creating a reservoir of Mg for continued absorption appeared to be instrumental in the patient's demise..."

yikes! i've tended to consider 4.0 a serious danger zone. 10.8 is crazy. maybe disimpaction could have saved that life. very sad.